James.l

My First Gen Rolex

James.l

So treated myself to my first gen Rolex. Got a couple of other Gen watches as well as quite a few reps. 

Bought a 116610 LN from Mappin & Webb as got a friend that works there. The whole boutique experience is nice, coffee and biscuits, bottle of champagne blah blah. 

It is yet to have the stickers, tags and other bits removed as not decided if i'm going to keep it or flip it. 

Comparing this to a rep 116619 that I've got I have to say that the rep makers do a good job. Holding them both in your hands side by side you can feel the slight differences, the bezel feels crisp and sharp to rotate on the GEN, the REP doesn't have the same feeling. The winding of the GEN is like silk where as not so much on the REP. 

Also got my name down for a 116710 BLNR & a 116610 LV as these are 'high demand' watches and can quite easily flip them for a profit. 

I guess some people will say why buy a GEN when a REP is so good, until you've experienced a GEN you won't understand. :balls:

20170930_151211.jpg

Dendo

Mate I have a gen DSSD and a high end replica also - and i struggle to differentiate them TBH

So, Sorry, but I really don't understand your comment "I guess some people will say why buy a GEN when a REP is so good, until you've experienced a GEN you won't understand. :balls:'

Bjorns

Very nice and congrats on it :)

James.l

25 minutes ago, Dendo said:

Mate I have a gen DSSD and a high end replica also - and i struggle to differentiate them TBH

So, Sorry, but I really don't understand your comment "I guess some people will say why buy a GEN when a REP is so good, until you've experienced a GEN you won't understand. :balls:'

I guess it's the feeling you get knowing it's a gen. 

Edited by James.l

Genius

That is a really nice watch but also difficult to justify the cost when you can get reps for ~5% of the price

James.l
2 minutes ago, Genius said:

That is a really nice watch but also difficult to justify the cost when you can get reps for ~5% of the price

I get it too as i've got plenty of reps. I guess this is something that you can hand down to a son or another family member in many years to come. 

I haven't decided if i'll keep it or sell it as I can make +8% profit as there is a 'wait list' 

Monkey_Business

Congratulations! 

And I completely disagree with Dendo on that one. Sure, a replica will look great and at first glance will look genuine on the wrist.
But horology is so much more than that! First of all, that is a piece of fine-swiss engineering. Just imagine the process of designing, machining/milling and casting the products and items needed. The craftsmanship gone into assembling and calibrating it. Second of all, in three years (or five, or eight), you won't have to make a forum post saying: "Hey, my SA3135 broke down. Can someone fix it?". This watch, if maintained properly, will outlive you, and can be part of your legacy. 

A chinese shitstain will never compare. Even if it looks the part.

Fuck flipping, fuck plastic wrapping/stickers and fuck the fact that people will assume it's a rep at first glance. Wear it with pride, treat it well, and pass it on to your kids when the time comes.

Of course, it's unreasonable to buy a watch this expensive. It totally is - But we're all emotion-driven, aren't we?

deju

Tears of laughter on having to put your name down on a Batman, all a marketing ploy.

My bro was back from Dubai and was told by his Fiancée just to buy the Batman as his engagement present.... The AD said he couldn’t even go on the list as he wasn’t a collector. 

Enjoy your watch, but although you can’t lose money get wise to the marketing ploy of the AD’s 

Join TRF and get into watch circles, you’ll find plenty good deals  

Thommo82
18 minutes ago, 4pekatt said:

Fuck flipping, fuck plastic wrapping/stickers and fuck the fact that people will assume it's a rep at first glance. Wear it with pride, treat it well, and pass it on to your kids when the time comes.

^This!

Couldnt agree more!

Also, if money was no issue, we would all have a collection of GENS and not a REP to be seen. If we didn't care about expensive GEN's we would all be buying REP priced GEN's

@James.l, do as you please with your beautiful new purchase. If it was in my collection it would get much wear and love

Congrats

Now go get drunk  

RussP

Usually buying gens is what people tend to do after they've had a gut-ful of reps.

I'm at that stage............but am only intent on obtaining vintage NOS pieces if possible/affordable.

Rolex's (also Patek's)  vintage pieces, for some reason, are too expensive for most collectors of my ilk.

As for joining a waiting list...............I'd have no patience !!

Russ.

Monkey_Business

I'm leaning more towards gens as well.

When I reach my 30's, I'm going to go out and buy that damn Submariner.  You know, the two-toned one with sunburst in blue. 
And by god, if I'm not going to hand it down on my deathbed... 

James.l

It's very interesting to read everyone's view. I guess some people will always be REP guys and some people will become GEN guys. 

The quality and craftsman ship of a GEN is undeniable.

I get the enjoyment out of wearing it and can pass it on to a future generation or sell it in years to come should that be the avenue I want to take. 

I have to say that some of the REPS are fantastic and I won't find myself buying a GEN of something that plummets in value once it's been purchased, I made a study of watch brands and models over time what hold their values and what don't. Rolex & PP are the only ones that hold and sometimes increase in value and the Submariner is an iconic model from an iconic brand. 

964boy

Reps are great

But you canny beat the real deal

Very nice :)

Griffo

Beautiful! I think i'll definitely get a gen sub at some point.

amstaffs

Same here... I just started with reps this year and already got 6 of those (3 Frankens at the 1k price range).

Nevertheless all I did the last month or so was thinking about of rather to get a full Franken for 2.5k or buy the real deal for 7k.

This hobby is extremly money and time consuming but also very satisfying and prestigious..and we all know that we like that. 

NFleischer

Congrats on a classic watch.

Like many others, I own both gens and reps. I really can't afford the Rolex's now but I was able to collect a couple over the years when they weren't as expensive.

Lately I've been concentrating on Gens under $1000. Quite a few bargains out there especially in the gray market websites like Ashford and Jomashop.

I can say I enjoy them both, reps allow me to have a large variety.

Edited by NFleischer

Dendo
12 hours ago, 4pekatt said:

Congratulations! 

And I completely disagree with Dendo on that one. Sure, a replica will look great and at first glance will look genuine on the wrist.
But horology is so much more than that! First of all, that is a piece of fine-swiss engineering. Just imagine the process of designing, machining/milling and casting the products and items needed. The craftsmanship gone into assembling and calibrating it. Second of all, in three years (or five, or eight), you won't have to make a forum post saying: "Hey, my SA3135 broke down. Can someone fix it?". This watch, if maintained properly, will outlive you, and can be part of your legacy. 

A chinese shitstain will never compare. Even if it looks the part.

Of course, it's unreasonable to buy a watch this expensive. It totally is - But we're all emotion-driven, aren't we?

I don't disagree with you. But some of those quality reps would make you pause, the bracelet, the case finish, just so good. The movement - no matter how good and ETA, it aint the Rolex movement.

I honestly admire both, the gen quality, and the rep quality for the money.

But then again, I am also stunned at the price and quality of Seiko monsters............some things don't quite add up for me.

So enjoy your gen - gorgeous watch and a classic

Dr_Rolex

To each their own I say, wear that beauty in good health mate 

reps are getting pretty darn close to the actual look and feel but again all a matter of taste, congrats on your sub. 

Does this mean you're leaving rep world? 

gi0ag

Very nice!! 

It does make me laugh that you have to put your name down on a “list”.

I’m on a list at my AD for a ceramic SS Daytona, I’m not holding my breath though! Apparently I’m 3rd in the list (yeah right). 

stofftier

If i had the funds I would buy a sub or gmt 2. very nice op congrats 

Usmcxsniper

Nothing compares to the mechanical smoothness of a gen piece. Owning a couple of reps definitely gave me the itch for a gen for sure. 

Whoreologist
On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 03:39, James.l said:

It is yet to have the stickers, tags and other bits removed as not decided if i'm going to keep it or flip it

This is complete horseshit from Rolex. I can't believe they do this, if we're willing to fork over the money we should be able to do whatever we want with it. It's shit like this that turns me off from Rolex. Their timepieces are classic and beautiful, but as a company I can't stand them.

GingerApple
3 minutes ago, Whoreologist said:

This is complete horseshit from Rolex. I can't believe they do this, if we're willing to fork over the money we should be able to do whatever we want with it. It's shit like this that turns me off from Rolex. Their timepieces are classic and beautiful, but as a company I can't stand them.

What's with all the necro thread posting? Trying to get your thread count up quickly?

Whoreologist
11 minutes ago, Gingerbubba said:

What's with all the necro thread posting? Trying to get your thread count up quickly?

nope just bored, enjoy reading the gen section, IF I wanted to get it up quick GB, I'd go to section 8!

GingerApple
8 minutes ago, Whoreologist said:

nope just bored, enjoy reading the gen section, IF I wanted to get it up quick GB, I'd go to section 8!

Exactly what I was going to recommend as an alternative; postwhoring like dicks like @Glaude do.