Griffo

AP Diver V7 JF from Toro

drifterr
It’s an amazing watch. I am trying to place an order. I tried trusty time but no luck. Any TT recommendations to source the v7 version?
thanks,
Try Sead or Toro

I am sure they can source it. Infact Sead has some in stock in last note on repgeek

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Foxindebox
On 29/12/2017 at 18:43, neil said:

is the closed caseback version of this watch an original version or is it ' fantasy' just to hide an inaccurate movement? I couldn't find it on the AP website

The Original Gen came with closed caseback but was later revised to a display. Both are accurate to the Gen Diver. 

I have a V3.5 (closed caseback) with Swiss movement that is fantastic. No need to upgrade for me.

Danny1980

Lovely watch, Ive been offered one with a white dial at a good price. It got a closed caseback and 2824 movement. The seller claims its a v7, I can't decide whether to get it for a good price to pay the extra and get the v7 or 8 with open case back and 9015 movement. Any opinions? 

drifterr

Closed case back with black dial is considered a super rep. Particularly the v7 with the 2824 in it.

The white dial is nice but I have not seen many comparison on the forums.

Tobel
13 minutes ago, drifterr said:

Closed case back with black dial is considered a super rep. Particularly the v7 with the 2824 in it.

The white dial is nice but I have not seen many comparison on the forums.

Its indeed an excellent rep but not a super rep. The high beat movement, the datewheel's font as well as the cyclop are tells. But indeed the v7 is more accurate with the close caseback + if you want you can get the a2824 modded into a low beat. In any case the quality of the watch is awesome

neil
On January 1, 2018 at 07:17, Foxindebox said:

The Original Gen came with closed caseback but was later revised to a display. Both are accurate to the Gen Diver. 

I have a V3.5 (closed caseback) with Swiss movement that is fantastic. No need to upgrade for me.

Thanks fox! 

ieweey

Does anybody have the pics of the close case back? Are the screw heads supposed to line up like those on the bezel? Or are they meant to be random. Thanks! 

Howitzer

I recently picked up a V7 A2824 from Saed and the (closed) case back screws are randomly aligned, unlike the bezel.  Seems the same on the gen from what I can tell, although not seen one in the flesh. One thing I can say for sure is that, at least in my relatively limited experience, the quality of this rep is absolutely phenomenal. I'll try and post pics of mine but will be my first effort so bear with me. 

Hey @Tobel, I may be wrong (and apologies if so) but I think we briefly discussed the low beat mod for this watch on RWI? If so did you decide which route to take,  ETA or PM80? 

nuk

Great piece, and very nice pics, congrats!

Just trying to learn something here. When you say it can't be modded "into a low beat", I don't get it, why would anyone want to mod to a lower beat? Isn't it better, smoother movement a high beat? 

drifterr
Great piece, and very nice pics, congrats!
Just trying to learn something here. When you say it can't be modded "into a low beat", I don't get it, why would anyone want to mod to a lower beat? Isn't it better, smoother movement a high beat? 
Gen movements is low beat.. hence folks prefer to mod the movement.

You can mod 2824 to lowbeat but not the miyota ones.

nuk
8 minutes ago, drifterr said:

Gen movements is low beat.. hence folks prefer to mod the movement.

You can mod 2824 to lowbeat but not the miyota ones.

Tx, drifterr! I thought low beat movements were those whose second's arrows moved more abruptly,  just 1 movement per second, god, I have somehow to learn this... I've just seen a vid of a gen ap diver, and the movement of the seconds arrow it's quite fluid

Edited by nuk

drifterr
Tx, drifterr! I thought low beat movements were those whose second's arrows moved more abruptly,  just 1 movement per second, god, I have somehow to learn this... I've just seen a vid of a gen ap diver, and the movement of the seconds arrow it's quite fluid
Gen movement ticks at a frequency of 21,600 bph and A2824 @ 28,800 hence the desire to mod it for more gen like.

There are couple of ways to convert the movement

nuk

Thanks again, mate!

Howitzer

Pics as promised! Not a patch on @Griffo's but I only had my phone on me and we all have to start somewhere... 

Case back with random screw alignment and a couple of bonus shots.

tother_side.jpg
crown_side.jpg
IMG%5D

I am absolutely delighted with this watch. For those who are interested (because I was when researching), the standard rubber strap is fine for my 6.75" flat wrists on the second to last hole (I tend to wear watches a bit on the loose side), and I can't quite see the overhang when looking at the watch. As such I'd say my wrist size is pretty close to the lower limit. If you have smaller wrists then I'd agree with Griffo that the XS strap is the way to go.

@nuk Ref low beat, if you compare footage of the gen to the rep then the difference is noticeable, although it would take a very knowledgeable and eagle-eyed observer to spot it on the wrist (usual 99.999etc% rule applies here). The low beat does not produce what you would describe as a staccato "tick-tock" motion, but is somewhat obviously less smooth than a high beat. I am getting mine modded to low beat only because, thanks to all the very knowledgeable folks on here, I now know about this tell and it will bug the shit out of me unless I get it sorted! 

ieweey

Thanks for posting the pics. Of all my watches, I can't tell the sweep rate of the seconds hand really, not even when I scrutinise them side by side. I think modding it is a bit overkill. Each to their own I suppose. 

Tobel
8 hours ago, Howitzer23 said:

I recently picked up a V7 A2824 from Saed and the (closed) case back screws are randomly aligned, unlike the bezel.  Seems the same on the gen from what I can tell, although not seen one in the flesh. One thing I can say for sure is that, at least in my relatively limited experience, the quality of this rep is absolutely phenomenal. I'll try and post pics of mine but will be my first effort so bear with me. 

Hey @Tobel, I may be wrong (and apologies if so) but I think we briefly discussed the low beat mod for this watch on RWI? If so did you decide which route to take,  ETA or PM80? 

Hey mate, I actually trusted Legend on RWI to work his magic and I don't know in details what he did in details Sorry ;)

Howitzer
36 minutes ago, Tobel said:

Hey mate, I actually trusted Legend on RWI to work his magic and I don't know in details what he did in details Sorry ;)

Hahaha, very wise mate! I will just do the same I reckon, usually safer. Enjoy the result! 

nuk

@nuk Ref low beat, if you compare footage of the gen to the rep then the difference is noticeable, although it would take a very knowledgeable and eagle-eyed observer to spot it on the wrist (usual 99.999etc% rule applies here). The low beat does not produce what you would describe as a staccato "tick-tock" motion, but is somewhat obviously less smooth than a high beat. I am getting mine modded to low beat only because, thanks to all the very knowledgeable folks on here, I now know about this tell and it will bug the shit out of me unless I get it sorted! 

Thank you very much for the explanation, I've been reading a bit about it and (I'd say) I'm starting to understand things... slow, but steady.

Howitzer
4 minutes ago, nuk said:

Thank you very much for the explanation, I've been reading a bit about it and (I'd say) I'm starting to understand things... slow, but steady.

No problem. A bit of reading sure goes a long way

Omaaouni
On 01/01/2018 at 12:58, drifterr said:

Try Sead or Toro

I am sure they can source it. Infact Sead has some in stock in last note on repgeek

Thank you! 

Jeromebr
On 05/01/2018 at 13:24, Howitzer23 said:

Pics as promised! Not a patch on @Griffo's but I only had my phone on me and we all have to start somewhere... 

Case back with random screw alignment and a couple of bonus shots.

tother_side.jpg
crown_side.jpg
IMG%5D

I am absolutely delighted with this watch. For those who are interested (because I was when researching), the standard rubber strap is fine for my 6.75" flat wrists on the second to last hole (I tend to wear watches a bit on the loose side), and I can't quite see the overhang when looking at the watch. As such I'd say my wrist size is pretty close to the lower limit. If you have smaller wrists then I'd agree with Griffo that the XS strap is the way to go.

On 05/01/2018 at 13:24, Howitzer23 said:

I did the same, changed for the low beat movment, and change the Date wheel (at the same time, it will reduce the cost)! You can look at the diff for the 4.

Cl7Z3g8h.jpg

QRoQ2Mqh.jpg

Edited by Jeromebr

Howitzer

Thanks @Jeromebr, now I need a new DW and a new strap... Looks fantastic. Is the DW gen? How much am I looking at??

Jeromebr

No @Howitzer23 only a gen sellta date wheel from a sw200. You can find a lot of datewheel especially if you change to a lowbeat movement ;)

i tested the green, the red and the yellow (Bobmarley’s diver :-)). And the green is for me the best. The two other made the watch look like a toy. But on the bracelet the Diver is really awesome 

Grimmi

Awesome, just upgraded my old V1 from years ago to this.
Have one incoming as we speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drifterr
Thanks [mention=64721]Jeromebr[/mention], now I need a new DW and a new strap... Looks fantastic. Is the DW gen? How much am I looking at??
Legend has his own date wheel and its better than mickeys dw. Best to get on contact with him.

He can take this watch to another level without breaking the wallet much.

Low beat conversion( 50-60 hours of power reserve). He uses a Swiss donor movement. It's amazing
DW mod.
Realign dial markers.
Brush the bezel as well.
And some more stuff he mentioned.