Griffo

Your Favourite Dress Watches?

Griffo

I'm looking for some inspiration guys. Lately i've been on a bit of a diver kick and have realised i don't have any decent dress watches! This needs to change, of course. What are your favourites?

Here are some that are on my list at the moment that i like:

Nomos Tangente

_img.jpg?ixlib=rails-1.1.0&auto=format&c

IWC Portofino (probably with strap...)

iwc-portofino-automatic-stainless-steel-

Cartier Santos

17310038_1_640.jpg

Rolex Cellini

Rolex-Cellini-Time-Basel-2014-12.jpg

Explorr

Hi Griffo,

definitely the Rolex Explorer I, simply classy.

Explorr (hence the name) ;-)

Genius

I've got a vintage omega deville that I think is the perfect dress watch on the rare occasions I wear one... 

I got mine off my dad who got it for his 21st birthday but they are pretty cheap on eBay now and therefore it's a proper gen for rep money 

BadApple

20170730_091102.jpg

MAJ75

patek-philippe-calatrava-5227-s_crop_518

Left Coast Guy

I do really like the look of the Nomos, but they look like a Cracker Jack prize on my wrist.  It was one of the few C&R watches I've ever bought. 

With a suit, I think my go-to is the IWC 3878 -- I've got mine on a Bond strap and the thing just oozes luxury. 

8e7844_b60fc6dd2f914568bb3ad55b5ac64efa~

And if I'm really going for it, the AP 15400 is the top. I've got the white dial with Prof xstal and its almost gaudy how shiny and fresh that thing looks. 

Griffo

Nice suggestions guys. Also spotted a rep of the Breguet 5177 on Reddit that actually looked better than the gen they compared it to (in my opinion). It was one of those "guess which one is the rep" posts. Definitely adding to the list to think about. Note: the gen does come in two different dial patterns.

zQZEq86.jpg

northantsrich

+ 1 for the Santos

TheTinMan

4 hours ago, Griffo said:

Nice suggestions guys. Also spotted a rep of the Breguet 5177 on Reddit that actually looked better than the gen they compared it to (in my opinion). It was one of those "guess which one is the rep" posts. Definitely adding to the list to think about. Note: the gen does come in two different dial patterns.

zQZEq86.jpg

So which is the rep? Lol

Griffo
50 minutes ago, TheTinMan said:

So which is the rep? Lol

Guess! :rofl: 

Top one is the rep. It's the only "guess the rep" that i've seen every single commenter get wrong. I thought the strap on the bottom one looked cheap and plastic-y so thought that one was the rep - wrong!

TheTinMan
3 minutes ago, Griffo said:

Guess! :rofl: 

Top one is the rep. It's the only "guess the rep" that i've seen every single commenter get wrong. I thought the strap on the bottom one looked cheap and plastic-y so thought that one was the rep - wrong!

The date wheel on the top one gave it away. It's very nice though. The guilloche on the dial also looked cheaper on the top one at first sight, but I actually think it's nicer in it's simplicity than the bottom one. 

splke

i definitely prefer the top one but that's the gold I reckon

Abe Fromen

I'm a dive watch guy and I tried the dress watch thing and it never worked... I always ended up selling because of lack of wear. 

That said, if I were to go that way, I'd get a solid caseback (if going rep) and something very simple ie. as few complications as possible. By definition, a dress watch should only have hours and minutes and maybe, maybe seconds and a date. 

But in this day and age, unless you have a boss or FIL who's an old school stickler, or if you really dig dress watches, any sports watch goes well under a French cuff and a suit. 

Davesjourney
On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 20:18, MAJ75 said:

patek-philippe-calatrava-5227-s_crop_518

These.  Pretty much perfection.

Bwatchful
On 05/10/2017 at 13:16, Griffo said:

zQZEq86.jpg

Beautiful watches 

vonn91

One of my favorites is the Longines master collection date SS with blue hands.

Imho the problem with the PP's is that it's not adding up to your cred if you sport a watch that is worth more then the average income of the human resources guy that you're having your job interview with. ( Still studying and just starting to work here). Plus I'm in an environment where people have an idea about watches (like recognizing basic Rolex or Omegas but not enough to spot a rep) and sporting a Rolex is considered snobby and "dressing down" while still wearing proper watches is the way to go.

Any mid price range reps that would fit into that scheme?

Like cuff-fitting flat, not flashy, preferably white dial, up to 40mm diameter, maximum Hour/minute/second/date?

cvp3

Simple, timeless, Timex.

image.jpg

GenTLe

Patek 5227

patek_image.3645513.jpg

Dusk

Orient Bambino v4 are cracking for the money 

20171205_085511_zpspt2x5tpm_edit_1512671

darnol91

Love the Patek on leather. Next on my list

nivka

ARF 36mm dj or PF 5711

I was in a similar dilemma to op with a sports-heavy collection

The 5711 is so versatile and goes beautifully with a suit
6ff540fe214465a553433bd297245e6b.jpg

Around the same time I bought the ARF 36mm dj. The jubilee dresses it up a bit and I’ve got a navy blue croc leather on the way for an even more true dress watch
30858d86d2b7a9a61d244e8b1332ce30.jpg