NDJ

Convert GMT II rep into Submariner?

NDJ

I have a "AAA+" replica 16710 GMT Master II that I bought in Hong Kong in 2004.
GMT_rep.jpg

It is a very well made replica that has a genuine eta 2836 movement. The only problem is that some years ago the GMT hand started stopping, and then stopped altogether. A common problem with the replica manufacturer added GMT complications I believe.
The movement still keeps excellent time (about +2 sec/day) even though I have never had it serviced in the 14 years I've had it (and I used to wear it a lot for the first 6 years or so).

So what I am now wondering is, since a watchmaker has told me it's not worth trying to fix the add-on GMT complication, would it be possible to convert the watch into a 16610 Submariner with a new dial, new larger crown, and submariner bezel insert? The watch has a submariner-style unidirectional 120 click bezel as it happens.

I also note that the watch seems to have a submariner caseback (marked 16600) and as a result is thicker than my real GMT II 16710. The rest of the case is identical to the real GMT - and presumably 16610 submariner.

GMT_rep_and_real.jpg

NDJ

Pic of the movement and caseback:

16710_rep_open-1.jpg

16710_rep_open-5.jpg

NDJ

Otherwise, how hard would it be to transplant the ETA 2836 movement into my Helenarou 6538 - which currently has a Seagull 2836 clone? Would the GMT add-on module need to be removed - and if so is this difficult?

20170906_123944.jpg

Left Coast Guy

First, there's no such thing as "AAA+".....that's just marketing BS and means nothing. Next, you've got a shitty watch maker -- some info here on the repairs needed to your 2836, maybe worth a kind message to GeTLe or Rolie to get their expert opinions. Who knows maybe you'll even find a referral to someone here that can do the work. 

Still, I wonder WHY? I mean why so tied to this particular movement? You can easily by a very good asian clone 2836 for $100 and the swap would be pretty straightforward (even for a crap watch repair guy).  Just seems like after 13 years, you've got a pretty good run out of this mov't.....I'd either invest in a proper teardown, service and repair, or send it to the grave.  Just my opinion...

GenTLe

I can't get if that's is a good rep or not, but for 120$ you can get a whole new movement: http://www.helenarou.com/hangzhou-6460-automatic-gmt-movement-date-at-300-eta-283646030028362.html

If I'm not wrong, the hand pinions of the Hangzhou 6460 (which is basically a 2836 with few mods to make it GMT) are taller, so you can't really make it a movement for a normal rolex because the hands will stay too much up.

Yours can be a base for a normal 2836 but you'd probably need to replace the second gear of the gear trains, the cannon pinion and the hour hand gear too. Telling if yours is fixable without knowing what's wrong with it, is not possible. It can be something stupid like the dislocation of the top gear where the GMT hands stays (the biggest one in the pic below), or it can be a problem of the small gear that drives both the date change and also the top big gear.

hangzhou-6460-automatic-gmt-movement-date-at-3-00-eta-2836-2-gmt-clone-2.gif

NDJ
10 hours ago, Left Coast Guy said:

First, there's no such thing as "AAA+".....that's just marketing BS and means nothing. Next, you've got a shitty watch maker -- some info here on the repairs needed to your 2836, maybe worth a kind message to GeTLe or Rolie to get their expert opinions. Who knows maybe you'll even find a referral to someone here that can do the work. 

Still, I wonder WHY? I mean why so tied to this particular movement? You can easily by a very good asian clone 2836 for $100 and the swap would be pretty straightforward (even for a crap watch repair guy).  Just seems like after 13 years, you've got a pretty good run out of this mov't.....I'd either invest in a proper teardown, service and repair, or send it to the grave.  Just my opinion...

Yes, that's why I put "AAA+" in quotes!
The backstory is that I was approached by a street seller in HK who tried to sell me some crappy copy watches; I showed him my real GMTII and said "You got any good ones like this?" :p
He replied "Oh you want a AAA+, follow me!" and took me on a 20 minute long detour through the back alleys of HK. As it happens, the watch he showed me was/is a good copy so I bought it.  Later I found it had a real ETA 2836 (this was before they became so hard to get) so I often wore it to save my real GMT from wear and tear - especially when doing activities where the risk of damage was high (eg sport motorcycling). It actually kept as good, if not better time than my real GMT.

It lasted about 6 years before the 24 hour hand failed completely - it can still be adjusted but it doesn't move from where it's set. Putting it on my wrist after 7 years of storage it still keeps as good time as ever so I thought it might be useful as either a project watch or making use of the genuine ETA movement to replace one of my clone movements.

Some of my clone movements seem to be quite susceptible to getting magnetised - in particular my Helenarou's Seagull movement. Normally it keeps very good time but every now and again it suddenly speeds up gaining a lot of time over a few hours - and demagnetising with my cheap ebay demagnetiser brings it back to normal.

As this (magnetising) doesn't happen with my real Rolex, Citizen and ETA movements, I thought maybe I should transplant the genuine 2836 into my Helenarou.

7 hours ago, GenTLe said:

I can't get if that's is a good rep or not, but for 120$ you can get a whole new movement: http://www.helenarou.com/hangzhou-6460-automatic-gmt-movement-date-at-300-eta-283646030028362.html

If I'm not wrong, the hand pinions of the Hangzhou 6460 (which is basically a 2836 with few mods to make it GMT) are taller, so you can't really make it a movement for a normal rolex because the hands will stay too much up.

Yours can be a base for a normal 2836 but you'd probably need to replace the second gear of the gear trains, the cannon pinion and the hour hand gear too. Telling if yours is fixable without knowing what's wrong with it, is not possible. It can be something stupid like the dislocation of the top gear where the GMT hands stays (the biggest one in the pic below), or it can be a problem of the small gear that drives both the date change and also the top big gear.

hangzhou-6460-automatic-gmt-movement-date-at-3-00-eta-2836-2-gmt-clone-2.gif

Thanks for the info and advice. The ETA 2836 in this old GMTII copy has the seamless 24 hour hand adjustment - unlike the newer GMT reps which have a step adjustment. I don't know if that makes any difference with regard to what might be wrong - or whether it can be repaired.

NDJ

Duplicate post - sorry

Left Coast Guy

I'd guess its going to cost a lot more to keep the mov't, than just replace with a new mov't....I don't think its worth the effort. Curious what you say about magnetization....never had it happen to one watch, rep or gen. 

NDJ

It never used to happen to me either but suddenly I seem to be surrounded by magnetic fields!
My phone has a magnet in its flip open case so if I put my watch in my gym bag next to my phone - bang - it's magnetised. 
Also I find wearing some replica watches while using power tools seems to magnetise them too due to the powerful magnetic fields generated.
I think the Chinese eta clones vary in quality and are often put together with whatever alloys are available. Clearly sometimes antimagnetic alloys aren't used for the mainsprings.

NDJ

Update:
After getting tired of my Helenarou - with Seagull movement - speeding up for no apparent reason every now and again (see the thread below where someone reported the same problem), I had my watchmaker transplant the old genuine ETA 2836 from my old GMT replica into the Helenarou (for a very reasonable fee) and I am very happy with the result!

16710_rep_open-1.jpg

My watchmaker removed the faulty GMT module (teeth had worn off the cheap, crappy metal gears), from the ETA 2836 (Shown above in the GMT case), took out the date wheel for good measure, and it was a drop in replacement for the Seagull. I was relieved that the 'big crown' fitted the ETA with no problem.

GC

Nice, happy that all worked out for the big crown! 

McGilli

Glad it worked out - I do love how the case back has Switzerland (SWITZERLADN) spelled wrong. I've only seen that once before somewhere - I forget where. Still, always fun to see that :) 

16710_rep_open-5.jpg&key=51097299b3746fb

NDJ

Ha, I never noticed that!