Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hey can you guys help me out! , guy wants to sell me this, is this REP OR GEN ? i hope the movement pictures are close enough. this is the older model i think the gen has ETA 2824-2

thanks

 

url=https://postimg.org/image/9sl5wsqj3/]image.jpg[/url]

57_1.jpg

57_2.jpg

57_3.jpg

57_4.jpg

57_5.jpg

57_6.jpg

57_7.jpg

57_8.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The movement pics would probably be the most help in figuring out if it's rep or gen.  Unfortunately, the only shot of the movement looks like it was taken with a potato.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You rightly comment on the movement being telling, then fail to take multiple macro shots of the movement to help us help you.

 

Papers and box?   And what excuse did he give you for not having them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

are they any tells on what you can see ?

ts a jewellery store in the states, listing on eBay, no box or papers, traded in, was checked by his "watch guy", i will ask for more photos of the movement, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The blurry pic looks dead on to be a Tag Calibre 5 movement, the bridges and everything look right.  Just to be sure, it'd be nice to get some pics of the movement, up close.

8029_album1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, fatarms said:

The blurry pic looks dead on to be a Tag Calibre 5 movement, the bridges and everything look right.  Just to be sure, it'd be nice to get some pics of the movement, up close.

8029_album1.jpg

thanks for the info, i will ask for more, the pics on ebay look like cellphone pics.  should i ask him to take pics with a DSLR or if all he has is a  the cellphone, should i ask him to remove the bracelet and take photos directly of the movement ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple like the one above would work.  Just need to see the gears and the configuration they are in.  Doesn't have to be anything macro-like, but in focus would be desirable :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, fatarms said:

A couple like the one above would work.  Just need to see the gears and the configuration they are in.  Doesn't have to be anything macro-like, but in focus would be desirable :lol:

ok thanks fatarms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fatarms said:

The blurry pic looks dead on to be a Tag Calibre 5 movement, the bridges and everything look right.  Just to be sure, it'd be nice to get some pics of the movement, up close.

8029_album1.jpg

Impressed that you can see that much in that blurry picture - good stuff mate!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on the potato photos of the movement the rotor looks to be the old style solid one, not the more recent one with the cutouts, you need to try to find out if that model came in earlier iterations with the older style rotor, that can be a major tell on some reps, older rotor style.

Also, the chapter ring looks a bit out of alignment, (but could be just the photo angles) which doesn't mean it's not gen but would be something to make me think twice.

Anyone can call themselves a jewellery store on eBay, if they have no bricks and mortar presence it could be a 14 year old in his bedroom for all you know.

Check out their background, ring the store if it turns out they have one, all that helps to buy the seller which is the first thing you do in these cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have them take the bracelet off too, so you can see proper photos through the case back.  With it on the camera will focus on that!  Also ask for the serial number and google it - often these show up on other forums with the same question being asked.

You'd also want to see the SW-220 stamp on the movement - I have a rep of one of these and that has a decorated ST2130, but no stamp.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure the REPLICAS are 41mm and the Genuine Cal5's are 39mm.

I searched for a 39mm version of this watch (well the newer version) and everything was listed as 41mm.

Replicas use the same case for this and the day/date version which is a 41mm gen.

So have him put some calipers to it. 39mm = Genuine Likely. 41mm = Replica Likely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I put it into a PDF editor, Aligned the lugs (20mm) and measured accross a central line. Scales at 42mm.

I'm gonna go REP.

Good luck.

O8dJi79.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I overlayed a similar GEN photograph and scaled the case width to match the above photos, and the 39mm Gen ended up with a wider lug spacing, indicating I had to scale it up from 39mm to match this one.

Also, the gen scaled to 40mm (I'm assuming the bezel protrudes slightly from the case) using the same technique.

Edited by FL13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I scaled the backshot as well and it came out closer to the genuine size. The only way to know for sure is to take a set of calipers to it. Sorry man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Wriggles said:

Based on the potato photos of the movement the rotor looks to be the old style solid one, not the more recent one with the cutouts, you need to try to find out if that model came in earlier iterations with the older style rotor, that can be a major tell on some reps, older rotor style.

Also, the chapter ring looks a bit out of alignment, (but could be just the photo angles) which doesn't mean it's not gen but would be something to make me think twice.

Anyone can call themselves a jewellery store on eBay, if they have no bricks and mortar presence it could be a 14 year old in his bedroom for all you know.

Check out their background, ring the store if it turns out they have one, all that helps to buy the seller which is the first thing you do in these cases.

they have a brick and mortar store, i did call them, when i first saw the ad

hears the ad on eBay, also selling other watches

 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/322706587548?ul_noapp=true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2017 at 18:46, fatarms said:

The blurry pic looks dead on to be a Tag Calibre 5 movement, the bridges and everything look right.  Just to be sure, it'd be nice to get some pics of the movement, up close.

8029_album1.jpg

 

Hi  i asked for some photos of the movement this is what he gave me these and said when he is back at the store. hes pics are of low quality if the these 2 pics and the other ones are not a "slam dunk" for being a gen then i guess i will move on to somebody else, thanks again to everyone for helping.  this model has a ETA the newest version does not.

url=https://postimg.org/image/ii190rizz/]IMG_6842.jpg[/url]

IMG_6843.jpgy

Edited by mike70sk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you buy it, use paypal and a credit card.

 

It doesn't look bad. If it's a great deal, get it. 

Model: WV211B-0

Looks like the SN: FS4818 ??

Bracelet has laser markings which is a good sign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, FL13 said:

If you buy it, use paypal and a credit card.

 

It doesn't look bad. If it's a great deal, get it. 

Model: WV211B-0

Looks like the SN: FS4818 ??

Bracelet has laser markings which is a good sign.

2

the model is  WV211B.BA0787 this is not the current model, the newer model changed in 2014 or so

here's a link for the model I'm looking at https://www.authenticwatches.com/wv211bba0787.html#.Wd1bbuPTWaM

he hasn't sent me the sn yet, 

I have been told the bracelet look Gen, but mixed reviews on the watch case

I hope with the movement pictures I can get a consensus?

anybody see any tells?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×