FL13

Pinion Height Tutorial A2836 Clone

FL13

Good Morning!

Ever wanted more height out of your pinion? Ever longed to be longer? Ever wanted the thick hour shaft to be a little higher to clear the dial hole? Well you're in luck you pervs.

Here we go.

Step 1.  - Remove the hands and dial to reveal the Asian 2836 clone movement.  Here you see the dial side. Remove one screw here to remove this plate. (Plate slides towards crown then comes out easy.) The brass colored wheel in the center is the hour pinion.

w5GbBufl.jpg  3mWy22Wl.jpg

Step 2. Remove the hour and minute pinion wheels and associated gears. They all slide off. (From my research the standard height in 2836 is an H4. 2824s use H3 as the standard heights).

PfMeFe6l.jpg sgfdzWjl.jpg ARtp42Kl.jpg EWvD8BQl.jpg

Step 3. Flip her over and remove the auto-weight. It's one screw, I don't need to walk you through that. Once removed you will see this:

9owU7Lrl.jpg 

Step 4. Remove the two black screws and then lift the auto winding gear train off.

2UHrCVml.jpg bBWJyl5l.jpg

DJFyqdQl.jpg 46FmR78l.jpg

Step 5. After you remove the winding gear train, you will have a manual wind 2836 on your hands. Next remove these two bright screws to remove the plate that holds the second pinion, among others.

5T7D400l.jpg lVATIzVl.jpg z4A3fgXl.jpg

Step 6. Remove the gear that winds the barrel.  You now be able to remove the second pinion gear (Center)

fK66OlDl.jpg  zokwttOl.jpg

Step 7. Replace the H4 Pinion with an H6 pinion and re-attach the plate holding these gears in place.

q2r7l1bl.jpg tvzZFnZl.jpg

z83cJBkl.jpg ljo9e5pl.jpg

BE SURE TO GET ALL THE PINS BACK IN THE JEWELS! There are 4 in this one plate.

Now reverse everything back up. Nothing difficult from here back.

Hope this helps.

Here are some photos of the H4 vs H6 Minute and Hour Hands as well.

Y5Q4wgAl.jpg bdur7aBl.jpg

Edited by FL13

NCRich

Excellent work.

Nikosaldente

Wow!

Super tutorial!

Thanks for sharing!

GenTLe

Hi mate, please do a small modification to your original post. If someone isn't aware it can really ruin the gears.

After you removed the autowind bridge it is VERY important to, keeping the crown in the manual winding position and having the crown between the fingers, to unload any residual charge of the mainspring by opening the click.

Then, BEFORE to unscrew and lift the main wheel train bridge, detach the ratchet wheel (the one screwed on the top of the main spring barrel) and only AFTER remove the wheel train bridge.

If there is any residual charge in the barrel when you lift the wheel train bridge you'll ruin the train wheels...

FL13

16 hours ago, GenTLe said:

Hi mate, please do a small modification to your original post. If someone isn't aware it can really ruin the gears.

After you removed the autowind bridge it is VERY important to, keeping the crown in the manual winding position and having the crown between the fingers, to unload any residual charge of the mainspring by opening the click.

Then, BEFORE to unscrew and lift the main wheel train bridge, detach the ratchet wheel (the one screwed on the top of the main spring barrel) and only AFTER remove the wheel train bridge.

If there is any residual charge in the barrel when you lift the wheel train bridge you'll ruin the train wheels...

Gentle,

I didn't have this issue, most likely due to the movement being well out of power.

Let me take it back apart and detail what you described. I will add the edit this weekend.

Edited by FL13

ryaku

Excellent tutorial but I would warn people it's not exactly a piece of cake putting the watch together again:
I mostly refer to the escape wheel, intermediate wheel and second wheel :(

Make some practice on cheap or defective movements.

juicebombs

noob question- what size screwdrivers do i need to do this?   mine seem too big-

Edited by juicebombs

GenTLe
13 hours ago, juicebombs said:

noob question- what size screwdrivers do i need to do this?   mine seem too big-

Mostly 1.2mm, you may also need 1, 1,4 and 1.6

juicebombs

I found the h6 height pinion gears I need on ebay as a 1 off sale- awesome.   But no actual source.  They were also quite expensive.   ($70). Can anyone share a source for cheaper ones, or if not- than just a reliable consistent source for these h6 gears?