Sign in to follow this  
psantos1091

Just got my 438... Quick question

psantos1091

For any of you who've had a Panerai with a GMT function... How do I set that hand? Lol it's my first GMT and I'm scared to damage the movement.

One click out, independent hour hand/date, two clicks out and I can adjust the time. Is there a third? I had stripped a previous crown before and I'm trying to avoid that..  

Left Coast Guy

You've got it right -- 1st position is Date/GMT, where Date is one direction and GMT is the other on the crown, then 2nd position is time. I've yet to own a mechanical watch with a 3rd position. 

psantos1091
28 minutes ago, Left Coast Guy said:

You've got it right -- 1st position is Date/GMT, where Date is one direction and GMT is the other on the crown, then 2nd position is time. I've yet to own a mechanical watch with a 3rd position. 

But in the first position, only the hour hand moves. So if I move it clockwise, it'll advance and the other direction will just make the hour hand go back an hour. So to change the date I have to go passed 12 twice and reverse direction to change the date back but the GMT stays in the same position. I can cover it with the hour hand and move them together in the second position but .......... Nevermind lol it just clicked in my head. I have to set the GMT with the second position and then use the first position to change the standard hour. Niiiice lol love this thing