DixieDynamite

Vintage Modders?

DixieDynamite

Looking for someone who would be interested in doing some "mild aging" on a vintage Rolex from Marvelous. The kind of aging I'd prefer isn't too radical: age the dial and the hands as well as some vintage lume work.  Maybe a better crystal. As for the bezel and the case, not sure if I want to do anything. I guess it's conceivable that a vintage watch has a new insert, so I while that might be sacrilege to those who value authenticity, I'm still on the fence.

I'm in the early DIY learning stages on this forum and another one. I'm really impressed with the work I've seen here. Hopefully I'll get to the point where the odds of my botching a perfectly good watch are low, and I'm not afraid to do it myself.

Any names are GREATLY appreciated. (I would prefer someone located in the U.S. as that's where I am).

PS. Aside from the Sub and Sea Dweller, I've been considering buying an el-cheapo 36mm Explorer from Silix to give the vintage treatment to. If anyone has any interest in working on that, it might be something different. I saw one on another forum and while it was just a touch of vintage, it was nicely done.

Diver Dave

Invest in about $50 worth of tools and do it yourself. It's not hard, and it's all pretty intuitive...

Chiruku

Jdog is in the US

Kenny in the EU

Both produce excellent work

DixieDynamite
3 hours ago, Diver Dave said:

Invest in about $50 worth of tools and do it yourself. It's not hard, and it's all pretty intuitive...

You're right. I do plan on doing it, I think it would actually be fun. But I'm really interested in seeing one of these first hand, done the right way.  Some of the people on these forums are artists, truly. I'm gonna be a long way from that for some time . . . 

3 hours ago, Chiruku said:

Jdog is in the US

Kenny in the EU

Both produce excellent work

Thanks for this. I'll try to look up some of their work. Is Kenny the username or does he have another one? Regardless, I'll do a search and see what I come up with. Thanks again....

tommylad

I'm in a similar boat to you, having always bought new modern reps. I'm going to do my own modding when I get time in the next few months and accept that I will ruin at least a couple of pretty cheap reps while I learn.

epcp20

Thoroughly recommend JJ (RolexAddict) - you can find his details on the trusted dealers page. He's done some work for me on a 1680 and it's outstanding. (i'd show you but i can't work out how to upload pictures from my work machine!)

DixieDynamite

JJ was one of the first people I read about. When I said there are artists out there, I was thinking about him (and a couple others). Would love to see one of his pieces in person, but the only way to do so would be to commission some work!

I wish some of those photo bucket pictures were still up. We're missing a treasure trove of old pictures of vintage modded watches.

So, so far I have:

Jdog, Kenny, and JJ

tommylad

There used to be a guy called Rsea Vintage (?). His stuff was better than anything I've seen from any other vintage modders, though largely Pams if memory serves.

DixieDynamite
On 10/19/2017 at 20:30, tommylad said:

There used to be a guy called Rsea Vintage (?). His stuff was better than anything I've seen from any other vintage modders, though largely Pams if memory serves.

If he's still on these forums, by all means let me know. 

My needs are modest, just a little weathering of some parts, so I'm sure there are a bunch of people who can do a nice job. It's just a matter of finding them...