Awesomeo

Tudor 2016 Heritage Black Bay Black ZF - Review

Awesomeo

Continuing my Tudor addiction with the ZF Heritage 2016 Black Bay Black. This is the updated model that is replicating the 2016 in house movement update to the black bay line.

I got this piece from Fat Panda (Watch Finder) - already on my third order with him, and it won't be my last!Tim delivered a perfect transaction once again. I did note a small mark to the lugs on my QC that I was initially concerned with, but figured it was small enough. Very glad I didn't reject it, because you can't even see it on the wrist. I don't think it's even visible on the photos - just goes to show how different macro QC shots can be. 

xBOWPVx.jpg

I tried on the in house Black Bay at an AD, and at first I was annoyed at how thick it was compared to the older model. However, now I’ve got the bracelet on my rep correctly sized, it wears completely differently. The caseback disappears into the wrist, leaving a smaller profile than I first thought. That was really the only thing I was unsure about, so very happy that it’s not as big of an issue as I thought it would be!

Dial

The dial is very elegantly finished, and it’s clear a lot of thought went into the layout and proportions.

l8jumS9.jpg

This is the 2016 Shield clone, and as such gone is the curved text, and in its place we have three lines of straight, capitalised text. The choice of words stacks nicely, creating a hierarchal read order that balances well with the symmetry in the rest of the dial. Similar to the Pelagos, the text is three dimensional, but not to as high of a degree as seen on the gen.

M3yoxib.jpg

The rose gold toned metal surrounds of the markers and hands are excellently finished. The circular markers combined with the harsh angles of the hands and 12h triangle mean there’s always some part of the dial that is catching the light.

bBPpfwg.jpg

The bezel has a gentle shine to it, and the number markings have a similar shine to the rest of the case steel. This is a nice repeated design element, which is continued to the surround of the lume filled bezel pip.

2cjM0b1.jpg

WqPVbbi.jpg

j3TXVx3.jpg

The case is only brushed on the front of the lugs. Everything else is high-polish (i.e. fingerprint magnet). It takes a bit of getting used to, but if you put the watch on by only making contact with the lateral parts of the bracelet, you can avoid the need to wipe it down after putting it on. It still does pick up marks throughout the day, and they’re particularly hard to remove around the crown, which makes cleaning awkward close to the thread. The crown engraving is nicely done, and has a substantial depth.

g3KoxzD.jpg

sAbAyfN.jpg

Bracelet

The bracelet is also changed from the rose dial Black Bay. It now has a faux riveted design that seems to be pretty divisive in the community. Personally, I love it. I feel it makes it that much more different in look and feel to my Pelagos, and it creates additional points of reflection for that wrist sparkle. Oddly the links are still screwed, so towards the clasp you get a break in symmetry which looks like the rivets have popped off. I find I only notice it when opening the clasp though, When typing or writing the visible links are all fully riveted.

orORPbH.jpg

The bracelet brushing is very nicely executed, and the edging of the links are bordered, which I think adds a nice touch.

L5r5fAj.jpg

HiMjWaq.jpg

The clasp has a very solid action – it’s takes a decent amount of force to open the terminal release. It’s a lot shorter than the Pelagos, as there’s no micro adjust. I do miss the comfort of the Pelagos’ spring adjustment, but the clasp is actually a lot more comfortable against a desk due to its smaller length.

qFjPfoT.jpg

Here’s a side-by-side of the spare links from the Pelagos (titanium) and Black Bay (steel). The background is aluminium. The Pelagos bracelet tapers slightly from lugs to clasp, however the BB is straight throughout.

9FtLhMZ.jpg

Lume

The lume’s nice and uniform. You can see the pillowy texture close up. The rectangular markers take a greater exposure to light to gain the same amount of luminescence as the other features of the dial. From sunshine, that’s not an issue, but artificial lighting leaves the 3 6 and 9 markers looking a little dim.

vjXpR6O.jpg

9sGY8RY.jpg

Conclusion

Overall, I’d say this was very close to perfect. I’ve heard that the red surround to the bezel pip is slightly off – I can’t see the difference to the gen, but I’ve not had them side by side. I’d give it a 9/10 – if they could get the dial text more three dimensional on future revisions I’d buy it again!

Edited by Awesomeo
  • Like 1

Mr_B

Great review mate :thumbsup2:

MAJ75

An excellent well illustrated review.

Good on you OP.

Nikosaldente

Instant sticky this one!

Great review!

Thanks for sharing!

Awesomeo

Thanks for the kind words!

GC

Superb review and photos, thanks for sharing. 

Raziel

Great review, now I'm not sure if I should get the Pelagos or this one?

Sendt fra min ONEPLUS A5000 med Tapatalk

Glaude
8 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Great review, now I'm not sure if I should get the Pelagos or this one?

And you think we could know that for you ? 

Raziel
And you think we could know that for you ? 
Yes, obviously.

Glaude
43 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Yes, obviously.

:tomaatit: why not ? :D 

I prefer the look of the Pelagos

Mn80

Was looking to get the black bay blue but like the rose gold hints on this version so you just made the decision a lot harder..

Bwatchful
On 19/10/2017 at 10:18, Awesomeo said:

Continuing my Tudor addiction with the ZF Heritage 2016 Black Bay Black. This is the updated model that is replicating the 2016 in house movement update to the black bay line.

I got this piece from Fat Panda (Watch Finder) - already on my third order with him, and it won't be my last!Tim delivered a perfect transaction once again. I did note a small mark to the lugs on my QC that I was initially concerned with, but figured it was small enough. Very glad I didn't reject it, because you can't even see it on the wrist. I don't think it's even visible on the photos - just goes to show how different macro QC shots can be. 

xBOWPVx.jpg

I tried on the in house Black Bay at an AD, and at first I was annoyed at how thick it was compared to the older model. However, now I’ve got the bracelet on my rep correctly sized, it wears completely differently. The caseback disappears into the wrist, leaving a smaller profile than I first thought. That was really the only thing I was unsure about, so very happy that it’s not as big of an issue as I thought it would be!

Dial

The dial is very elegantly finished, and it’s clear a lot of thought went into the layout and proportions.

l8jumS9.jpg

This is the 2016 Shield clone, and as such gone is the curved text, and in its place we have three lines of straight, capitalised text. The choice of words stacks nicely, creating a hierarchal read order that balances well with the symmetry in the rest of the dial. Similar to the Pelagos, the text is three dimensional, but not to as high of a degree as seen on the gen.

M3yoxib.jpg

The rose gold toned metal surrounds of the markers and hands are excellently finished. The circular markers combined with the harsh angles of the hands and 12h triangle mean there’s always some part of the dial that is catching the light.

bBPpfwg.jpg

The bezel has a gentle shine to it, and the number markings have a similar shine to the rest of the case steel. This is a nice repeated design element, which is continued to the surround of the lume filled bezel pip.

2cjM0b1.jpg

WqPVbbi.jpg

j3TXVx3.jpg

The case is only brushed on the front of the lugs. Everything else is high-polish (i.e. fingerprint magnet). It takes a bit of getting used to, but if you put the watch on by only making contact with the lateral parts of the bracelet, you can avoid the need to wipe it down after putting it on. It still does pick up marks throughout the day, and they’re particularly hard to remove around the crown, which makes cleaning awkward close to the thread. The crown engraving is nicely done, and has a substantial depth.

g3KoxzD.jpg

sAbAyfN.jpg

Bracelet

The bracelet is also changed from the rose dial Black Bay. It now has a faux riveted design that seems to be pretty divisive in the community. Personally, I love it. I feel it makes it that much more different in look and feel to my Pelagos, and it creates additional points of reflection for that wrist sparkle. Oddly the links are still screwed, so towards the clasp you get a break in symmetry which looks like the rivets have popped off. I find I only notice it when opening the clasp though, When typing or writing the visible links are all fully riveted.

orORPbH.jpg

The bracelet brushing is very nicely executed, and the edging of the links are bordered, which I think adds a nice touch.

L5r5fAj.jpg

HiMjWaq.jpg

The clasp has a very solid action – it’s takes a decent amount of force to open the terminal release. It’s a lot shorter than the Pelagos, as there’s no micro adjust. I do miss the comfort of the Pelagos’ spring adjustment, but the clasp is actually a lot more comfortable against a desk due to its smaller length.

qFjPfoT.jpg

Here’s a side-by-side of the spare links from the Pelagos (titanium) and Black Bay (steel). The background is aluminium. The Pelagos bracelet tapers slightly from lugs to clasp, however the BB is straight throughout.

9FtLhMZ.jpg

Lume

The lume’s nice and uniform. You can see the pillowy texture close up. The rectangular markers take a greater exposure to light to gain the same amount of luminescence as the other features of the dial. From sunshine, that’s not an issue, but artificial lighting leaves the 3 6 and 9 markers looking a little dim.

vjXpR6O.jpg

9sGY8RY.jpg

Conclusion

Overall, I’d say this was very close to perfect. I’ve heard that the red surround to the bezel pip is slightly off – I can’t see the difference to the gen, but I’ve not had them side by side. I’d give it a 9/10 – if they could get the dial text more three dimensional on future revisions I’d buy it again!

Nice review, really nice looking watch too! 

the_datta

Helluva review! As much as i wanted theJF sub, I think I will be pulling the trigger on BB steel bezel 

elementsk7

stunning piece, cannot wait to get my hands on one soon. gonna chack out the vendor as well

Monkeyman

very nice!

After seeing these pics, I am sold!

Devil

One of my favourite all time watches, blessed to have the rep of this.

dtroxx

Sold! I was thinking about buying the bb58 but this review blowed my mind :) thanks!