Thommo82

Watch Cabinet Project

Thommo82

You guys are fucked in the head, my kind of people 

Glaude

Let's derive from the main subject for a minute : any progress on the watch cabinet ?

iabounty

Well Fuck.............. This has turned into a romper room thread for children with learning disabilities............... :Applause:  :beer2:

Thommo82
1 hour ago, Glaude said:

Let's derive from the main subject for a minute : any progress on the watch cabinet ?

I’ll get some more done this weekend

1 hour ago, iabounty said:

Well Fuck.............. This has turned into a romper room thread for children with learning disabilities............... :Applause:  :beer2:

Is that why you’re here?

Xpletiv

Must have had help then.

Glaude
On 01/12/2017 at 00:30, Thommo82 said:

I’ll get some more done this weekend

:digging:

So... where you at with this cabinet ? 

Tracking information still not showing ? Maybe it's time to open a paypal dispute with yourself, you cunt !

Thommo82
2 hours ago, Glaude said:

:digging:

So... where you at with this cabinet ? 

Tracking information still not showing ? Maybe it's time to open a paypal dispute with yourself, you cunt !

Have glued some of the felt to cabinet parts, but not enough for an update here. Fucking work and family get in the way. I wish I was a single unemployed homeless man with all the spare time in the world....... 

iabounty
11 minutes ago, Thommo82 said:

I wish I was a single unemployed homeless man with all the spare time in the world....... 

Sounds like one of my adult children living in the basement that won't leave home.... He better hope his mother lives to be 130 years old............ Cause as soon as the funeral is over OUT THE FUCKING DOOR HE GOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :lol:

Thommo82
38 minutes ago, iabounty said:

Sounds like one of my adult children living in the basement that won't leave home.... He better hope his mother lives to be 130 years old............ Cause as soon as the funeral is over OUT THE FUCKING DOOR HE GOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :lol:

Can I then move in so I can focus more on my watch cabinet?

Glaude
1 hour ago, Thommo82 said:

Have glued some of the felt to cabinet parts, but not enough for an update here. Fucking work and family get in the way. I wish I was a single unemployed homeless man with all the spare time in the world....... 

You just have to get your priorities right !

If you were a single unemployed homeless man, you'd still have to organise with your fapping in your card box home before making a watch cabinet

narikaa
12 hours ago, Thommo82 said:

I wish I was a single unemployed homeless man with all the spare time in the world....... 

careful what you wish for

Thommo82

Getting there 

61551_D28-_ED05-4_E4_C-_ADCA-05_C9486854

mysterio
On 12/20/2017 at 16:41, narikaa said:

careful what you wish for

Yeah, I wished that and I'm still just a man with some free time. :lol:

Thommo82

More progress from today 

A45_D2_D39-0109-47_EB-_AC34-917_C47_CAF6

Now just gotta figure out how I’m going to attach the base of the stands to the felt. Something tells me that glue is not a great idea as the weight of the watches will eventually pull the felt up. Not sure if the plastic will withstand a screw or not though.

3782_D071-4558-4_AB1-94_C6-_CD85_A20_B96

Will still be a bit of cleaning up to go to get things looking schmiko, but it’s getting close. 

Planning on putting a mirror on the back wall and also on the middle panel of the inside of each door too. (Reg’s idea) 

@narikaa I don’t suppose you have ever attached those C stands to felt before? 

Cubic Hare

Velcro?

Thommo82
9 minutes ago, Cubic Hare said:

Velcro?

Hmmm......

Id still have to glue one side of the Velcro to the felt, which I fear would lift up over time. 

I feel like it needs a permanent bond to the shelf

narikaa

Never had to anchor a stand.

You just position the watch on the 'C' so the CofG is over the base. Maybe that your scrunching up of the 'C' is throwing the balance out of skew.

You may have to have the dials facing a little more skywards

But

There are a myriad of plastic stand styles out there

I even  recall using some with adjustable forked 'base stands' that slid along the 'C'

Wait...stone me I've just found them...

IMG_0228.JPG?raw=1

IMG_0229.JPG?raw=1

IMG_0230.JPG?raw=1

Can scrunch up to the girliest of girly wrist sizes ;)

IMG_0231.JPG?raw=1

and you just slide the feet so it still balances

Thommo82
3 minutes ago, narikaa said:

Never had to anchor a stand.

You just position the watch on the 'C' so the CofG is over the base. Maybe that your scrunching up of the 'C' is throwing the balance out of skew.

You may have to have the dials facing a little more skywards

But

There are a myriad of plastic stand styles out there

I even  recall using some with adjustable forked 'base stands' that slid along the 'C'

Wait...stone me I've just found them...

IMG_0228.JPG?raw=1

IMG_0229.JPG?raw=1

IMG_0230.JPG?raw=1

Can scrunch up to the girliest of girly wrist sizes ;)

IMG_0231.JPG?raw=1

and you just slide the feet so it still balances

All well and good on a flat surface, but if you take another look at my cabinet you’ll see that the shelves the C stands rest upon are on an angle. This is not a necessity, more for aesthetics and so that the watches at the back are not covered by those in front 

narikaa

That's a bit of an 'ooops' moment for you then :facepalm:

Mmm

Seems you're using this type of stand:

IMG_0232.JPG?raw=1

why not (as you are fixed in the number of stands) drill and fix the 'C' directly into the shelf

If you are adroit you could cut out the female part from the base and fit that into the shelf

Jees come to think of it you could put a whole host of them in two rows and drill things so that the 'C's stand vertical

(might be all too much for a boy from the Snowy Mountain Project though :)  )

IMG_0233.JPG?raw=1

Thommo82

I can change the shelves to be flat, just prefer the slanted effect. I did think of drilling the base to the shelf like you mentioned. So far I think it’s the best solution. I want to still be able to pull the C off the base for ease of getting watches on and off. 

I must remember to give you a discount  off your next purchase in thanks for advice you’ve given 

narikaa

To be clear, I'm NOT advocating drilling the existing bases, by far the better solution is cutting out the cylindrical 'female' part from the base - smoothing/prettying it up then drilling the shelf to take THIS and epoxying it in place (best ways so that the 'C' when inserted is vertical - despite the shelf's slope). you then have the absolutely correct mount for the 'C' embedded into the shelf.

Thommo82
17 minutes ago, narikaa said:

To be clear, I'm NOT advocating drilling the existing bases, by far the better solution is cutting out the cylindrical 'female' part from the base - smoothing/prettying it up then drilling the shelf to take THIS and epoxying it in place (best ways so that the 'C' when inserted is vertical - despite the shelf's slope). you then have the absolutely correct mount for the 'C' embedded into the shelf.

So much work, so little time. I bet I can find an easier less time consuming method. I am rather lazy though. Probably won’t even get around to it till next year 

narikaa

So Monday then

:giggle:

GingerApple

They'll finish building the Sagrada Familia before this gets fucking finished, lol! Looks good so far though. Sooooo glad I discovered this thread today, you lot are hilarious.

Xpletiv

Screw that, start all over!

Remove the shelves, make a cushion holder set-up that covers the whole back panel top to bottom(take the style that is used in the drawers and apply it to a vertical surface), then make up 2 rows(or what fits)of cushion panels(again top to bottom)for the insides of each door, just make sure that the doors can open without hitting each other.

This way they are all in the open and not blocking the next and no worry about falling over.

You'll be done by new years eve!