JohnCocktoastin

Newman Daytona Cosmograph

JohnCocktoastin

Anyone know where I can find the find  best 1:1 rep of this Rolie?  Preferably one that has the best chance of fooling an auction house?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolbesler/2017/10/26/paul-newmans-watch-sells-for-record-17-7-million-at-phillips-bacs-russo-auction-in-new-york/#9ecd6f72d5d1

Foxindebox

IMG_3814.jpg

;)

BadPickle

18.65M I read 

@Foxindebox pics of the engraving please :D

Foxindebox

:lol: 

Quick trip to timpsons is on the agenda...

BadPickle
13 minutes ago, Foxindebox said:

:lol: 

Quick trip to timpsons is on the agenda...

Get your shoes re-heeled at the same time? :lol:

Foxindebox

Might as well get a spare key while I'm at it.

BadPickle
Just now, Foxindebox said:

Might as well get a spare key while I'm at it.

:lmao: 

JohnCocktoastin

Ol'  Cool Hand Luke was pretty cool after all.  Can't believe he gave that thing to his daughter's boyfriend (not even husband)!  Of course, I'm sure he didn't know it'd be worth $18M 33 years later.  Pretty nice of the BF to donate it to the daughter's charity, but I'm sure he would've felt bad cashing it in.  I know I would have had trouble sleeping at night...on Egyptian cotton sheets with call girls in my new mansion. 

:throwingmoney:

tonyh7

Absolutely amazing, just shows provenance is everything. Am I right in believing that Rolex couldn't give these away originally - leading to their rarity? 

Cleebeauregard
1 hour ago, tonyh7 said:

Absolutely amazing, just shows provenance is everything. Am I right in believing that Rolex couldn't give these away originally - leading to their rarity? 

Well, actually...they could give them away... 

You're absolutely correct about the popularity of the "exotic dials"-- they were not loved. At all. Many ADs apparently had these sitting on their shelves for a decade or more, and at least the story goes that some dealers gave them away when a patron purchased a DayDate.

And the original sticker price of the 6239? Around $250-$300 USD, which although it sounds absurd, adjusted for inflation, that's around $2,000 today, so although it was not an expensive watch, especially by today's standards, it was by no means a "cheapie". Still, a $300 investment returning $17.7 Million in 40 years is certainly better than my portfolio's performance, lol. 

Foxindebox
2 hours ago, JohnCocktoastin said:

Ol'  Cool Hand Luke was pretty cool after all.  Can't believe he gave that thing to his daughter's boyfriend (not even husband)!  Of course, I'm sure he didn't know it'd be worth $18M 33 years later.  Pretty nice of the BF to donate it to the daughter's charity, but I'm sure he would've felt bad cashing it in.  I know I would have had trouble sleeping at night...on Egyptian cotton sheets with call girls in my new mansion. 

:throwingmoney:

He's donating an unspecified portion of the proceeds...

http://uk.businessinsider.com/paul-newman-rolex-daytona-just-sold-17-million-world-record-2017-10?r=US&IR=T

"It was given to Newman by his wife Joanne Woodward while he was filming "Winning", he then gave it to his daughter's then-boyfriend James Cox with the famous quote "if you wind it up it keeps pretty good time." 

After that, the trail of the watch goes cold until Cox brought it to Phillips to auction with a portion of the proceeds going to benefit the Nell Newman Foundation and Newman's Own Foundation."

Bjorns

Go ask Paul Newman....:fearlessleader:

JohnCocktoastin
2 hours ago, Foxindebox said:

He's donating an unspecified portion of the proceeds...

http://uk.businessinsider.com/paul-newman-rolex-daytona-just-sold-17-million-world-record-2017-10?r=US&IR=T

"It was given to Newman by his wife Joanne Woodward while he was filming "Winning", he then gave it to his daughter's then-boyfriend James Cox with the famous quote "if you wind it up it keeps pretty good time." 

After that, the trail of the watch goes cold until Cox brought it to Phillips to auction with a portion of the proceeds going to benefit the Nell Newman Foundation and Newman's Own Foundation."

Whoops.  Guess I missed a "portion" there -- something we Americans don't do very often.  733251_700b.jpg

Foxindebox
12 minutes ago, JohnCocktoastin said:

Whoops.  Guess I missed a "portion" there -- something we Americans don't do very often.  733251_700b.jpg

:rofl:

RussP

Extraordinary Result.

All for a great cause.

I'd love to know the buyer's identity.

Perhaps a new thread speculating on who the new owner might be??????????????????/

Cleebeauregard
3 hours ago, RussP said:

Extraordinary Result.

All for a great cause.

Perhaps a new thread speculating on who the new owner might be??????????????????/

Rolex SA. ;)

That would be a brilliant little bit of marketing on their part, and well worth the $18 Million IMO.

Lord Flashheart
16 hours ago, RussP said:

Or you could just mind your own damn business and not be so impertinent. 

I am quite sure that had the buyer, no doubt a chap of impeccable breeding and taste, wanted his identity made public then he would have bid openly in person.

Foxindebox
4 minutes ago, Lord Flashheart said:

Or you could just mind your own damn business and not be so impertinent. 

I am quite sure that had the buyer, no doubt a chap of impeccable breeding and taste, wanted his identity made public then he would have bid openly in person.

It was you.... I knew it!

Lord Flashheart

On 10/10/2013 at 19:46, Lord Flashheart said:

If only people would take the simple step of reading through all my previous posts they would know that I do not wear a watch myself as I have a small man accompanying me at all times who wears one on my behalf.

This remains the case today, I have neither the time nor inclination to waste money on baubles and trinkets with values inflated by association with some actor, singer or other such jobbing tradesperson.

BadPickle
23 minutes ago, Lord Flashheart said:

If only people would take the simple step of reading through all my previous posts they would know that I do not wear a watch myself as I have a small man accompanying me at all times who wears one on my behalf.

This remains the case today, I have neither the time nor inclination to waste money on baubles and trinkets with values inflated by association with some actor, singer or other such jobbing tradesperson.

Foxindebox
On 27/10/2017 at 15:33, pickledbeetroot said:

Get your shoes re-heeled at the same time? :lol:

IMG_3872.jpg

here we go pickle... and I got a key! Now off to sell this fucker for $17M :lol:

lexidium
2 hours ago, Lord Flashheart said:

I had a nice watch but I gave it to my daughter's boyfriend . . . . . . . . 

BadPickle
1 hour ago, Foxindebox said:

IMG_3872.jpg

here we go pickle... and I got a key! Now off to sell this fucker for $17M :lol:

Foxindebox

:D

Simurgh

What a great result! I am also quite interested if a factory decides to make this a super rep.