MA123

Opinion - rep SA3132 vs 2824

MA123

Hi - looking to get some advice and opinions on the above...!

i see some of the rolex reps come with either a 2824 or SA3132 movement. 

I'm familer with the 2824s - generally pretty reliable whether you get an asian clone or eta. And onviously very common so repairs and servicing is relatively cheap/easy. 

However im unfamiliar with the SA3132. I know this is a clone of the rolex movement with different crown positions etc. Done a bit of searching on here and cant find much written about it.  Is it as reliable as the 2824 and as easy/cheap to repair or service? Etc

the SA3132 rep is more expensive to buy. Does this mean its better? I'm tempted to choose the 2824 over the sa3132 as there is no visable case backs in the rolex but keen to hear peoples views   

In summary, does anyobe have a view on pros/cons of an asian 2824 vs rep SA3132 in the rolex replicas??  

splke

completely useless me but I know after a chat with the main man the movements are solid but spares are difficult to come by! as for which is better I have no idea but personally I would not pay a premium for the 3132 when I have always been more than happy with the 2824

Chiquita Fanjita

Do you mean 3135 movement?

I have a 3135 in my v7 Noob Hulk and the movement is totally silent and winds down silky smooth with a gen like feel. To my eye the second hand sweep is smoother to and again extremely gen like. I’m more than happy with the 3135 movement and for my next Rolex I will definitely pay that little bit more for the 3135. 

NCRich

I would not pay extra for a movement that can't be repaired for lack of parts.  So no 3135s or their ilk in my box.

Chiquita Fanjita

I know Rolie has repaired 3135’s, but then again Rolie is a legend!

BM284

I picked up a JF Explorer next door a while back - this has the 3132 movement. Tbh with the case back off it resembles the Rolex movement but as said above the case backs are solid so it doesn't show it off. So far (touch wood) it's been as reliable as any other rep I've had (this is my only rep at the moment) I dont think it's worth the extra considering the reliability and ease of parts of the 2824 movements. As always, you decide :)

NCRich
25 minutes ago, Chiquita Fanjita said:

I know Rolie has repaired 3135’s, but then again Rolie is a legend!

Not everyone has a Rolie.  And yes, he is the legend.

MA123

Thanks. As i thought. Will prob stick to the 2824s

BadPickle

Depends on what you look for in a rep,  if you want close to the real deal then SA is the way to go, if not then asian 2824 or Miyota or  cheap as chips 21J are the other choices

and as the others say, parts ain’t as readily available if they go wrong..... so you pays your money and makes your choice 

ROLIE

Thanks for the kind words guys , but I cannot repair all  3135 movements and I have a couple myself with may I add a spare  movement  just for parts . 

The problem with these movements are the inavailabilty of spares and not a lot of Gen parts fit ,if all gen parts fit also they are extremely expensive so not cost effective .

Ive just repaired one for a forum member and it took a very long time just to swap and press on some extremely small parts ,  I would personally stick with the 28xx series of movements either clone or Gen ...

ssouthall6

The sa3135 had a bad rep a few years ago because of weak stem issues, this has been resolved now and the movement is fine and functions like the gen.

What you have to remember is that the movements are made and assembled in Chinese sweatshops by unskilled workers in poor conditions with poor quality, but passable material. Therefore I always recommend a service on arrival regardless of whether it's a 2836, 7750 or 3135. This way you have a well oiled, clean movement and prevent the risk of early failure.

Many of the issues with the sa movements just the same as the Asian eta movements are around the poor quality steel used for the reversing and driving wheels which results in the teeth wearing quickly and problems usually manifest very quickly.

Contrary to popular belief, you can use genuine rolex reversing and driving wheels on the sa3135 with some minor modifications, the issue is finding a watchsmith that will grind the jewel. So the notion that the sa3135 is a throwaway movement if it fails is not really true.

Of course, if an Asian eta fails it is often easier to just replace the movement with a swiss eta as they are reasonably easy to get hold of and require little to no modification, but it does minimise your Franken options in the future.

I always go for sa3135 or yuki, service immediately, usually put a gen crown and tube on as well, and never had any problems, and I'm 5 years in the game with over 50 watches having passed through my letterbox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROLIE

The SA still suffers from  bad reversing wheels , a gen stem wont fit , I have one here that needs a stem and a gen will not fit the keyless works.

I have had these so called modified movements in so gen parts fit and to be honest they are a mess .

NCRich
6 minutes ago, ROLIE said:

The SA still suffers from  bad reversing wheels , a gen stem wont fit , I have one here that needs a stem and a gen will not fit the keyless works.

I have had these so called modified movements in so gen parts fit and to be honest they are a mess .

And that should end this topic.  He who must not be named has spoken.  :lol:

splke
13 minutes ago, ROLIE said:

see I was right :)  (it don't happen often )

ssouthall6

Well [mention=11931]ROLIE[/mention] we are in complete agreement then. The teeth on all the wheels on all the movements are rubbish but they can be replaced with the gen. You have to grind the jewel down but it can be done. And it's only a mess if it's been done by someone who doesn't know what they are doing (wasn't suggesting this was you rolie I'm full of admiration for your work, in case my comment is misconstrued)

On the stem, I never said it could be replaced with the gen. We know it doesn't.

ROLIE
Just now, ssouthall6 said:

Well@ROLIE we are in complete agreement then. The teeth on all the wheels on all the movements are rubbish but they can be replaced with the gen. You have to grind the jewel down but it can be done. And it's only a mess if it's been done by someone who doesn't know what they are doing emoji57.png

On the stem, I never said it could be replaced with the gen. We know it doesn't.

Not in agreement with you , all your doing is reading from the masses , what exactly are you on about with all teeth on all movements , All gen parts are not available , Can you do the work that or recommend a highly qualified watchmaker with the machines to do the work correctly ,

ssouthall6

Reading from the masses? Ok if you say so. A lot of assumptions from someone who has read (and clearly not particularly well) two posts on one subject on a forum.

The teeth on the reversing wheels of an Asian 2824-2 wear quicker than a swiss 2824-2 just the same as they do on an sa3135.

I've never said gen parts are universally available or switchable on the sa3135, in fact I said the exact opposite. All I've said is with some modification you can replace the driving and reversing wheels on an sa3135. Never mentioned the stem being compatible.

ROLIE

LMFAO  must have read about the teeth too ,Got any concrete evidence and spec sheets ,

take some apart and put back together ,  Purchase the parts and replace them  instead of reading from a spreadsheet

bye

NCRich

I think I said this thread should be over.  

BadPickle
45 minutes ago, NCRich said:

I think I said this thread should be over.  

but that’s not the RWG way ;)

JJLATTY

Can those teeth be replaced with dentures?  :-)

Rokerite

If anybody on this forum knows whether something can or can't be done with a watch movement it is Rolie. That ends the thread....

SuperbMonster

Where does one go to get ones jewel ground? Sounds like fun on a Saturday night

psantos1091
9 hours ago, ROLIE said:

Thanks for the kind words guys , but I cannot repair all  3135 movements and I have a couple myself with may I add a spare  movement  just for parts . 

The problem with these movements are the inavailabilty of spares and not a lot of Gen parts fit ,if all gen parts fit also they are extremely expensive so not cost effective .

Ive just repaired one for a forum member and it took a very long time just to swap and press on some extremely small parts ,  I would personally stick with the 28xx series of movements either clone or Gen ...

Soooo, if you knew a guy who owns a machine shop, would things be easier? I know a guy who does aerospace stuff so his tolerances are always super tight.

MetalMickey

Off to find a handbag gif. I'm in ROLIE's corner