Foxindebox

Restoring a Grail - The Seiko 6117-8000 Navigator

Foxindebox

Hi Guys, 
I just wanted to share my latest project with you all. I have finally managed to obtain one of my grail pieces for a very reasonable price. Trouble is, it needs a fair bit of work to put right…

This is the watch in question

IMG_3893.jpg

IMG_3892.jpg

IMG_3894.jpg

Its a 1968 Seiko 6117-8000 Navigator. I have been after one of these for ages and they rarely come up, or if they do, they are either very expensive or knackered. Fortunately this one falls somewhere in the middle.

Here is a bit of history and info on the watch care of the Fratello website

“The Seiko Navigator Timer is one of those watches that belong in any vintage Seiko collector’s suite. It’s an absolute classic as far as design with some great colours, presence and functionality. 
Regarding the last point, like most Seiko’s, the Navigator Timer runs flawlessly. The 6117-8000 is essentially the second generation of GMT watch from Seiko and was introduced in the late 1960’s.

The Seiko Navigator Timer features an externally rotating 24-hour bezel much like a Rolex GMT, but in the case of Seiko, it’s not Pepsi-coloured or even black. It’s steel coloured like the case with black writing, which gives it an understated, yet purposeful look. It contains a lume pip at the zero hour and is adorned with serious, business-like font. The stainless case itself is essentially the same as on the 6106-8100 Sport Diver and has a cushion shape with non-hidden lugs. The crown, like most Seiko’s, sits at 4:00.

When we move onto the dial, we get some nice changes on the Seiko Navigator Timer versus the Sports Divers. First, you’ll notice that the watch only features a date and no day. While I’d argue that a day would actually be good for a travel watch (how many of you have woken up somewhere around the world not knowing the day??), the watch looks cleaner with the simply date window. 

Second, you’ll see a cool little red hand with an arrow-shaped tip. This, of course, is the second time zone hand. Much like the early Rolex GMT’s the second time zone hand does not move independently. As one sets the time, the red hand moves forward and essentially runs at half the speed of the normal time hands. This is achieved by linking it to the date wheel function. To indicate a different time zone, one aligns the external bezel to their liking in order to indicate time at home or wherever else. It’s simple and effective. 

One thing worth mentioning is that the Seiko, unlike the early, and even later Rolex GMT’s, is equipped with a quick-set date function. I can’t tell you how nice and convenient this is, especially for a watch that is used for travel. Date changes are accomplished by turning the crown instead of the typical push-in for other period Seiko’s. Like I said, it’s easy and makes wearing the watch a lot more convenient than some other non quick-set pieces.”

So, now on to my one. I bought this from an eBay seller based in Israel, and it is in really good original condition underneath the layers of muck. In fact, I can safely say that there is enough DNA on this watch to clone the original owner...

IMG_3877.jpg

IMG_3878.jpg

IMG_3879.jpg

IMG_3880.jpg

IMG_3881.jpg

IMG_3882.jpg

IMG_3883.jpg

IMG_3884.jpg

IMG_3885.jpg

IMG_3886.jpg

As you can see from the pics (apologies for the poor quality, they were from the eBay listing) the watch is filthy, has a knackered crystal and the bracelet is stretched to hell. I think that I will be able to sort all this out and will detail the process in further posts as I am working on it. I plan on doing a full service of the movement, clean the case, sort the bracelet and change the crystal.

I'm super excited about this as it completes my vintage grail Seiko list, and it looks the bollocks too!

Wriggles

That Seiko is a stunner. Your seiko is absolutely manky! Jesus Christ, was the owner a competitive mud swimmer? And how in hells name do bracelets get that stretched, was he a morbidly obese competitive mud swimmer :lol:

Can't wait to see it after you've done it up

Foxindebox
14 minutes ago, Wriggles said:

That Seiko is a stunner. Your seiko is absolutely manky! Jesus Christ, was the owner a competitive mud swimmer? And how in hells name do bracelets get that stretched, was he a morbidly obese competitive mud swimmer :lol:

Can't wait to see it after you've done it up

:rofl:

It will be a challenge but I'm up for it!

BadPickle

That’s some challenge you got there, plenty of stage by stage pics please, and the best of luck to you :thumbsup2: 

SuperbMonster

Internally smuggled comes to mind.... :lol:

Great project, looking forward to the photo diary 

Foxindebox

Well... it's arrived.

I wonder if that much DNA counts as people smuggling? Or if my watch is an illegal immigrant? :D

Undinist

Blimey,  it's in a bit of a two and eight. I look forward to seeing how you get  on. Subscribed!

NCRich

I can smell that watch from here.

Foxindebox

Small update...

I took the Bracelet off and disassembled the watch for cleaning (I honestly have NEVER seen a watch that dirty before...)

Here are a couple of pics pre-cleaning.

IMG_3956.jpg

IMG_3957.jpg

IMG_3958.jpg

The cleaning is now done and the difference is startling!

Pics to follow later ;)

pthurst

Fab post! Wishing you all the very best with this and look forward to seeing the end result!

Paul

brang1

these babies fetch a princely sum when they are done up. good luck

Foxindebox

OK, so I’ve made quite a bit of progress. I’ll start with a few pics of the case.

As you can see, I’ve removed the crystal (to be replaced with a NOS one and the bezel has had a new spring which makes it tighter than... (insert your own joke here).

8_A218_D5_B-_C2_ED-47_B0-_B8_D0-_F07_DE1

53726_A23-416_A-4701-_AA46-_C48409805032

Looks nice without all the shite on it eh?

I’ve decided against polishing the case and hands as I want to keep some of the wabi (patina) to retain originality.

Next, some movement pics...

Foxindebox

So I won’t bother putting up all of the disassembly and  reassembley pics, just a few to give you a flavour.

C5708217-1_F87-4_CA0-90_BB-_C7_E607653_F

44_C96_D60-_CAA0-4451-_AF5_D-02_A0066_C0

951_B6_E4_A-9621-4_AAB-80_D1-_C062_FC335

2796_B5_BC-407_C-4_A53-9257-_F454_B488_E

C402_F7_C8-_EEF8-4726-896_F-04156931_CD3

EFD84294-7_BA1-430_A-_AD18-71_D5001_F9_C

enkebabtack

Wow, beautiful watch.
And amazing to see your pictures of all the tiny parts that actually makes this watch tick!

Undinist
2 hours ago, Foxindebox said:

I want to keep some of the wabi

Come again?

Genius

Bloody hell, great effort there!

Biggest surprise is how good you managed to get he bezel insert I had thought that was for sure a write off

Foxindebox

Taken from the Watch forum

Wabi - sabi is a core Japanse concept.
The sabi part is almost synonym with our ´patina´.
The Janaese way is to see sabi as honourable proof of use. Proof of existential value. As it is only acquired through time and use it is highly valuable.

We westerners tend to see it as unsightly wear only and with watches it leads to an anal fear for scratches and unquestioned polishing.”

Foxindebox

4_D81_D311-8_BCE-4858-9_AA5-_B9_BBE9_E51

Still need to do the bracelet but...

greg_r

That's looking superb. 

Rokerite

You have made a fantastic job there considering the state it was in. Looking forward to seeing pics when you have done the same with the bracelet.

Foxindebox

Thanks very much for the kind words guys. I’ll keep the thread updated with my progress.

Thommo82

Magnificent 

TheTinMan

There are some nice aftermarket bracelets around that match the original aesthetic until you fix yours. 

Beautiful watch and great progress. Congratulations. 

NCRich

Great job!

Griffo

Damn, great job! Looked like shite before!