Undinist

Tell me about the different colours of 18ct YG

Undinist

Rolex seems to use a very dark shade of gold for some current  YG watches, e.g.  the Sub and the GMT, but a much lighter shade for others, e.g. the DD40. On their site they don't seem to acknowledge this...all the watches are described simply as 18 ct yellow gold.  I'm sure there must be some threads or sites about this, but I can't find any. Can anyone please point me in  the right direction?

Genius

18ct is an alloy what the gold is alloyed with varies greatly hence the colour variations. 

That's just general knowledge not specific to replica watches but should explain why they all look different 

Undinist

I get that, but does Rolex try to have uniformity of colours? Do they aim to have a fixed range of shades? Or is it a free-for-all?

Genius

I don't really understand your question... 

If you mean do rolex just make it up as they go along then clearly not they will have a very specific formula. 

If you mean do the rep factory have specific formula, c'mon do they fuck they make it "better" every batch 

Undinist

What I mean is that,  judging by their web site,  they have chosen two very different colours for their current YG watches.  The older YG watches all look a similarly light colour, but the six digit  Sub and GMT are very different. I don't see enough gen Rolexes to know what they've really done, I can only judge from pics on the web, with all the myriad variations of camera flash and PC monitors and so on. . All I can be certain of is that my BP YG six digit Sub is so dark you could almost call it brown!

Undinist

I asked over at the gen Rolex forum and there has only ever been one shade of gold. I reckon the gold sub with black dial looks brownish to me because of the same quirk of adjacent colour perception which got everyone excited about that dress https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress

Look at 4pekatt's great photos of his watch. Does the gold look unusually dark to you? I have the same watch. I bet that if the blue and black versions were in the same photo, the blue one would look like the usual lighter Rolex shade but the black one wouldn't.  To my eyes, anyway.

(Cue for someone to come along and say that they would never buy a full gold rep because, because, because, and I am being an idiot, as usual.)

deju

There are different golds, ie the pink gold 18ct everrose. 

Undinist

I know. I'm only talking about YG. 

deju

I think then it’s down to the photo lighting and if it’s edited, when looking at YG online. 

My watch can look both light and dark depending on the photo. Sometimes a pale yellow some times almost dark orange. But IRL it’s the same colour as all others I see 

Undinist

I suspect that even with identical lighting/photo/monitor conditions, the eye can perceive a single shade of gold as several different shades, depending on the colour of the dial and bezel.  I tried to explain this above. I might buy a blue-dialled YG Sub to test the theory.