pthurst

The best watch buying experience EVER

pthurst
The Breitling DC-3 World Tour Navitimer 

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to share a few thoughts on my most recent watch purchase and just what a fantastic experience it has been dealing with Breitling UK.

I visited the new store in Manchester and just happened to mention that, one day, I'd be adding a Navitimer to my collection and the Sales Rep (Ryan) smiled and started to explain why I needed to make it sooner rather than later...

'I can't show you the watch yet or tell you what it looks like... but this is why you should buy it...'

Ryan explained that Breitling was doing something very special this year and the Navitimer was at the very heart of their plans to break a world record.  In March, the Breitling DC3 had departed Switzerland on a world tour which, when completed would see the world record for the oldest plane the circumnavigate the globe.  The Breitling DC3 is still flying after 77 years.  

Imagine my delight when I was told that the plan was to invite purchasers on to the flight as the plane made its way through the UK.  Yes, he wasn't kidding!

I thought hard for all of 60 seconds before the realisation dawned on me that I was going to have to find a way of speeding up my intended Navitimer ownership goal, they provisionally reserved a watch for me (1 of only 500) while I went away to think about how the hell this could be financed (with the blessing of my wife...).

'Thanks for choosing to #flyBreitling'

The service from the Manchester team was exceptional from start to finish.  From pre-sales questions to post sales support, the process was often nudged along with a complimentary G and T or even glass of Champers to hand from their well stocked private bar, tucked out of sight at the back of the store.  The staff where also just as excited as I was to see what this experience would be like and they were quick to call me with the updates as more information came through. 

I had to wait a few months but eventually the call came through and all my travel documents followed.

Breitling did nothing by the cheap.  I was booked on first class trains, and then driven in style to a Spa Hotel in Kent for a 5 course meal with 13 other passengers which was hosted by the MD of Breitling UK, Gavin Murphy.  After a good nights rest, it was off to Biggin Hill for a 30-min flight on board the DC3 and a special presentation from the captain and crew as they neared the end of the world tour.  I also finally got to see what my watch would look like!

2 crew, 14 passengers, 500 watches

We weren't alone on the flight.  Someone at Bretling had come up with the excellent idea of taking the watches around the world too.  They were hidden somewhere on the plane for security reasons but to come so tantalisingly close to my new watch purchase was agonising.  Still patience was required as the world tour wasn't quite complete, the DC3 hadn't yet crossed the finish line...

Take a look at a video I put together below,  I've also included another video of the watch itself after that...

And finally, I get the watch!

Saturday just gone was the day I'd been waiting for.  It was time to collect the watch itself and it was great to get my hands on this timepiece which already carries fond memories for me even though I'd never actually seen it!  Again that high level of sales detail and support was on show from the Manchester team.  The manager came in on her day off to catch up with me and present me with the watch along with some of the staff who'd been on hand to help along the way.

You don't need me to tell you how expensive watches like these are but now that my buying experience has completed, I don't have any regrets about my purchasing decision at all.  Sure I hadn't planned to buy one so soon but given this wonderful experience that was on offer, I would of been foolish to wait and miss out on all of these wonderful extras from the Breitling team (plus a stack of freebies too!).  I'm sure you can see why this has been very special for me as a watch geek and I'm keen to share it because I'd love to see more people sample delights such as this in the future.

Limited edition watches aren't unusual.  Most brands release them every year but to go to this level for the customer is pretty special.  In my opinion, it needs to be encouraged too.  Anything that gets the customer even closer to the brand is good for everyone involved.  It creates brand affinity and ultimately reminds us why replica watches can't really completely satisfy.  Instead its worth saving up for something which is more special. Not just the genuine article, but as I've outlined here, the genuine experience to go with it too.

Edited by pthurst
Apologies for poor posting style... can't get video working or preview prior to posting!

Genius

greg_r

Sounds like quite an experience! Enjoy the watch, mate :D

Genius

Fixed the video for you (just paste the youtube link the forum software does the rest)

Cool story and video though looking forward to seeing your new watch once its finally handed over to you

TheSav

That has to be the best watch purchase story and experience ever. congrats! Thats one special watch. 

Montyb82

That sounds amazing, well worth whatever you paid I reckon!

pthurst
12 minutes ago, Genius said:

Fixed the video for you (just paste the youtube link the forum software does the rest)

Cool story and video though looking forward to seeing your new watch once its finally handed over to you

Thanks a lot for your help!  Finally sussed it (I was pasting the shorcode).  I have also included the clip of the actual watch now I have it so I hope that completes the story for anyone viewing this post.

Thanks again and apologies for not quite posting the completed article first time round (I do miss that 'preview post' button)

Paul

ShovelnTC

Wow now that is what buying a luxury Gen should always be like.

Great story and I'm sure that watch will remain more valuable to you because of it.

Enjoy.

pthurst
2 hours ago, Montyb82 said:

... well worth whatever you paid I reckon!

Thanks.  I was very impressed with the price as it was pretty much the same as what you'd pay for a 'standard' Navitimer.

Paul

TheTinMan

So cool.  It's always amazing when someone happens to be in the right place, at the right time - had you visited the AD on any other day, the results may have been different.

Too bad about the view during the flight, but looks like you had some decent eye candy on board. 

Will you wear it, or put it aside?  Congratulations and enjoy the watch!

Del

That's an excellent story and an amazing experience! :clap:

Congrats on the new watch! :thumbsup2:

Paparolf

Well done Breitling plus a great story, congrats.

Bjorns

Sounds amazing

splke

how short are their skirts :drool:

simey83

Man that’s amazing! My grail watch, well a “standard” Navitimer :) hope to own one someday! Congrats on the purchase.

Usmcxsniper

You now  have an awesome story attached to the watch. Congratulations!

pthurst

Thanks all.  Very pleased with the watch.  I've been trying to only wear it on special occasions however I won't lie, It's not really been off my wrist yet!

All the best,

Paul