gwkiw

PAM676 with A6497 question

gwkiw

Hi, a quick question regarding my 6497 equipped PAM 676.  This the first 6497 HW rep I have owned.  My other reps are all automatics. I just purchased this V6F PAM676. Looks great.  I searched the forum for anyone else asking this question and found lots of discussions on the 6497 movement but not an answer for my question.

Just wondering why the crown has (2) pullout positions when there is no date to adjust on this watch? The inner most 'crown in' position is the wind position.  The crown then pulls out to the 1st position which appears to not do anything. The crown turns with no effort. Then the final 2nd position adjusts the time as expected.  

Is this normal for this movement?  

Thanks. 

Left Coast Guy

I believe the mov't does have a date function, its just that your watch isn't using it.  So, yup, normal for the mov't, nothing to worry about. 

GenTLe

Nope, no date on 649x movements:

WM-ETA6497-2-600_grande.jpg

I can't say why the op's watch does what he is describing, I disassembled only a couple of these ones (they are very robust). I can only suppose it has something to do with the stem and it's retention screw...

gwkiw

The watch seems to be working fine. Winds okay.  Currently checking on how much reserve I get out of a full wind. 

That 2nd position, the crown turns free in either direction with no resistance at all. ....    if that helps.   

gwkiw

There must be  tons of other 6497  PAM rep owners out there that can comment on if any of their crowns exhibit this 'behavior.'  

I asked the TD if this was normal or is there a problem with the crown.  He replied,  If you can wind the watch and also adjust the time , there is nothing wrong. He also commented the Unitas 6497 hand wind never had a date function before. 

Not exactly the answer I was looking for but......    it is working.    I just like to know the reason behind technical anomalies. That's the world I work in.  If it is a crown retention screw  issue does that mean it is possibly out of adjustment or ?  

So  far, at 25 hours reserve, still running like a top.  

BadPickle

If it ain’t broken,  don’t try fixin it :D 

Foxindebox
3 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

If it ain’t broken,  don’t try fixin it :D 

Preach pickle! :D

That is a great bit of advice!

BadPickle

TBH I have one which does the same, it’s a 6498 Swiss pocket watch movement in an Esdee 3646typeD bronze case rolerai build (handmade pickle factory strap/Elias brass buckle) 

i just put it down to a worn keyless works, still runs like a trooper, no issues whatsoever. 

gwkiw

Sounds like plan to me. It's working. Leave it be. 

Ran 35+ hours on a full wind. Not as good reserve as some people claim for a 6497 but livable. 

The watch looks great.  I'll be posting some pictures this weekend in the Panerai review section.

Cheers!

reppy
On 11/7/2017 at 18:44, gwkiw said:

Hi, a quick question regarding my 6497 equipped PAM 676.  This the first 6497 HW rep I have owned.  My other reps are all automatics. I just purchased this V6F PAM676. Looks great.  I searched the forum for anyone else asking this question and found lots of discussions on the 6497 movement but not an answer for my question.

Just wondering why the crown has (2) pullout positions when there is no date to adjust on this watch? The inner most 'crown in' position is the wind position.  The crown then pulls out to the 1st position which appears to not do anything. The crown turns with no effort. Then the final 2nd position adjusts the time as expected.  

Is this normal for this movement?  

Thanks. 

Might buy one of these too.  Anyway, I don't think it has a 6497. The Puretime website lists the V6F PAM676  movement with Base Movement: Asian 23J hand-winding movement

Daffy

That's normally the sign of an automatic, usually placed in a watch that is supposed to be hand wound.  They remove (or never install) the auto winding train.  Usually these automatics are not as robust as a 6497, I've got a 338 that has an auto movement like this.  It broke within a month of owning it.  I took it to a local "watchsmith" who attacked the case, removing the Radiomir strap lugs, scratching the side of the case in the process, which had a PVD coating.  He did that before I could stop him.  I guess he had never seen a Panerai case before.  Jerk.

Personally, I've made the decision to stick with 6497's in my reps.  More substantial, easier to work on, and spare movements are cheaply and easily obtained.

gwkiw
10 hours ago, reppy said:

Might buy one of these too.  Anyway, I don't think it has a 6497. The Puretime website lists the V6F PAM676  movement with Base Movement: Asian 23J hand-winding movement

Well either the TDs are mixed up or outright lying. 

This PAM 676 was purchased from  Andrew at TT.   Listed as a V6 Factory Asian 6497 Manual Handwind  movement, 21600, P1000 decorative bridges etc.

http://trustytime.store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_453&products_id=15966

I will be pretty pissed if I was sold an A23J instead of an as advertised A6497 movement!!!!  

Can anyone tell from a pic  of the rep?  

Rep_Back_676.jpg