Undinist

Anyone wear a Deepsea Challenge much?

Thommo82
1 hour ago, tabuktime said:

Nope, was looking for this:

Checa-Claret-Watch.jpg

Couldn't find it on DaGate, even they have standards!

Is that Frodo Baggins watch?

numero2

First Ploppy on my 20 cm wirst :

Hlf9sRC.jpg

And a cheapie Challenge with the right size :

r07cXOq.jpg

tabuktime
52 minutes ago, numero2 said:

First Ploppy on my 20 cm wirst :

Hlf9sRC.jpg

And a cheapie Challenge with the right size :

r07cXOq.jpg

Width-wise it wears a little better than the Ploppy.  I think the thickness is the biggest issue/difference.

tabuktime
11 hours ago, BADAPPLE12 said:

rolex_image2261638.jpg

Ho Lee Fook!

Is that gen or rep? I only ask because the crystal is far less pronounced in this photo than the ones above...

Ah, you Got me there, twat! great Photoshop...

Undinist

The Rolex site says they made five Challenges. Assuming that Cameron kept his, what are the plans for the other four?

mysterio
13 minutes ago, Undinist said:

The Rolex site says they made five Challenges. Assuming that Cameron kept his, what are the plans for the other four?

Link?

Undinist

https://www.rolex.com/science-and-exploration/exploration-underwater/rolex-deepsea-challenge.html

Under the sub-heading 'Watchmakers Under Pressure' it says "It would be up to them to place movements in the oversized cases of the five ROLEX DEEPSEA CHALLENGE watches".  Note the "the " before the five, which implies this is not the first mention  of "five".  But it's the only one I can see.  

mysterio
23 minutes ago, Undinist said:

https://www.rolex.com/science-and-exploration/exploration-underwater/rolex-deepsea-challenge.html

Under the sub-heading 'Watchmakers Under Pressure' it says "It would be up to them to place movements in the oversized cases of the five ROLEX DEEPSEA CHALLENGE watches".  Note the "the " before the five, which implies this is not the first mention  of "five".  But it's the only one I can see.  

Thanks for the link. I remember reading about Hodinkee seeing one of the three. Here's the article.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/live-photos-of-james-camerons-rolex

Maybe it means, of the five that Rolex actually made, one was given to Cameron, the other that was actually strapped to the DSV was kept in storage by Rolex as it is a historic watch, and the remaining three were the ones that were displayed in exhibits following the dive, one of which was featured in the photo article by hodinkee.

deju
1 hour ago, mysterio said:

Thanks for the link. I remember reading about Hodinkee seeing one of the three. Here's the article.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/live-photos-of-james-camerons-rolex

Maybe it means, of the five that Rolex actually made, one was given to Cameron, the other that was actually strapped to the DSV was kept in storage by Rolex as it is a historic watch, and the remaining three were the ones that were displayed in exhibits following the dive, one of which was featured in the photo article by hodinkee.

Doubt he got to keep the watch. 

Im sure he has a Rolex Deepsea model with the D-blue dial though. Wasn’t the green lettering a nod and a wink to the actual challenger sub? 

Undinist

Two Challenges went on the dive, one strapped to the outside of the sub and one on Cameron's wrist. I bet he kept it!

deju
22 minutes ago, Undinist said:

Two Challenges went on the dive, one strapped to the outside of the sub and one on Cameron's wrist. I bet he kept it!

James-Cameron-Rolex-DEEPSEA-Wrist-Shot.j

deju

deepsea_challenge-1.jpg?quality=90&strip

^^^ wearing standard DSSD in his movie in the sub 

Undinist

I'm sure I read he wore the Challenge underwater. Oh well. It's  a 5 year old PR stunt intended to sell the Deepsea, not the Challenge. Who knows what really happened, and what was just PR bullshit.  They designed and built the Challenge in five weeks flat, which makes you wonder whether it's really the engineering masterpiece they claim. From a technical point of view i'm more impressed by my B&R Hydromax, which can go as deep as the Challenge but is smaller than a Sub. You could fit nine Hydromaxes inside a Challenge.  But the Hydromax is quartz so I suppose it doesn't count. Maybe one day somebody will work out how to make an  oil-filled mechanical watch. 

Here's a nice article about the Hydromax http://amjwatches.co.uk/blog/bell-ross-hydromax-11100m-review/

trailboss99

I don't know about engineering master piece, they simply made a huge case that they had 100% faith in to take the pressure. I could do that.

AFIK Cameron kept his, why not surf to his FB page and ask him? 

ElvisFreak
On 11/19/2017 at 08:55, NCRich said:

$120ish shipped on DhGate.

aaah....still too much for this watch...

i can think of many other cheaper ways to strike conversations or get attention...

tabuktime
4 minutes ago, ElvisFreak said:

aaah....still too much for this watch...

i can think of many other cheaper ways to strike conversations or get attention...

I can't find one on Dhgate for that price even.

ElvisFreak

ok.

just will be hoping fir a member to sell a beat up one....for say...$80

KarmaToBurn
38 minutes ago, tabuktime said:

I can't find one on Dhgate for that price even.

Just search for "Challenge Watch". There should be a few options.

tabuktime
26 minutes ago, KarmaToBurn said:

Just search for "Challenge Watch". There should be a few options.

Got some now...

mysterio
On 11/21/2017 at 18:34, Undinist said:

I'm sure I read he wore the Challenge underwater. Oh well. It's  a 5 year old PR stunt intended to sell the Deepsea, not the Challenge. Who knows what really happened, and what was just PR bullshit.  They designed and built the Challenge in five weeks flat, which makes you wonder whether it's really the engineering masterpiece they claim. From a technical point of view i'm more impressed by my B&R Hydromax, which can go as deep as the Challenge but is smaller than a Sub. You could fit nine Hydromaxes inside a Challenge.  But the Hydromax is quartz so I suppose it doesn't count. Maybe one day somebody will work out how to make an  oil-filled mechanical watch. 

Here's a nice article about the Hydromax http://amjwatches.co.uk/blog/bell-ross-hydromax-11100m-review/

The Sinn UX (another oil filled quartz watch) beats the Hydromax depth rating by 900m) even though there is no known depth deeper than 11100m, .

Rich26

Love these but very big 

JSJ

I would not compare the Challenge with a Ploppy. The Ploppy is eminently wearable as a normal watch, although I find the crown on the 'wrong' side to be a little tedious. The Challenge is too big, even for me, and looks odd on the wrist. 

Undinist

I'm still mulling this over. And I've found a use for my horrible DHGate Patek Sky/Moon  monster. With a big stack of coins taped to it, it makes an excellent Challenge simulator. 55mm x 27 mm. But maybe too light, only 155 grams. Anybody know what a Challenge rep weighs?