Undinist

Anyone wear a Deepsea Challenge much?

Undinist

Thinking about this for my next purchase and wondering whether any of you guys own it and like it?  It would also be great if someone could give me a steer as to which ones are decent value. Prices seem to vary from $180 to $500+.  Some of the TD sites give the impression that overstock of the Challenge means bargain prices, but maybe that's BS? Then there's the accuracy question, with the factories having  to make do with the photos and the technical drawings on the Rolex site. 

RepGuy

It's too big to wear normally for me. It's a novelty piece 

Undinist

So you have one? It's pretty close in size to some other dive watches...the Ploprof must be similarly impractical. Though perhaps the Challenge beats it on height...28 mm means trouble with shirt cuffs. But I leave mine undone, so I don't think the Challenge would be a problem.

RepGuy
19 minutes ago, Undinist said:

So you have one? It's pretty close in size to some other dive watches...the Ploprof must be similarly impractical. Though perhaps the Challenge beats it on height...28 mm means trouble with shirt cuffs. But I leave mine undone, so I don't think the Challenge would be a problem.

I don't own one, but I did own a Ploprof and found it to be borderline overkill with its size, which is still considerably thinner than the Deepsea Challenge 

deju

I got one and sold it on, it’s a gimmic watch really.

great to look at and wonderful back story for a watch guy but you 100% couldn’t wear it unless you were the hulk, it is seriously huge and then the crystal sticks out a mile too. 

As a guy who happily wears uboats, it’s not a comfortable watch to wear either.

I still say get it, hell you won’t ever get to wear (or possibly see ) the gen so why not?! That’s the point of this hobby! 

Undinist

Did you look into the differences between the versions? The TD sites seem to have the same spiel for the $140 ones as the $4/500 ones.

deju

I would imagine it was a cheapie but at the time there was like only one version. 

It was circa 4years ago I bought it from andypandy1961. For about £100-140. Sold it for £95.00 

I will try to find photos but for me it was good enough. Heavy bastard too lol 

deju

Undinist

Thanks, the photos in that thread are the best I've seen of the Challenge,  they've convinced me that I have to buy one! I'd really like to make a bi-metal version of it, but I suspect it would be impossible to get the indices and numbers on the bezel plated successfully.

tabuktime
44 minutes ago, Undinist said:

Thanks, the photos in that thread are the best I've seen of the Challenge,  they've convinced me that I have to buy one! I'd really like to make a bi-metal version of it, but I suspect it would be impossible to get the indices and numbers on the bezel plated successfully.

You could get a couple, one for each wrist... ;)

deju

Yeah and I reckon you’d be happy with the cheaper one like mine, nice display peice to be honest and great history behind it. 

Undinist

Do you know the maker and movement and so on?  The ones on the TD sites have such crappy photos that they all look the same. I was thinking of getting a BP for $300+, just to play it safe. But maybe the $140 ones are not significantly different? 

Undinist
34 minutes ago, tabuktime said:

You could get a couple, one for each wrist... ;)

But I need a weekday function on one wrist! OTOH, maybe it's too hazardous to the spine to have a Challenge on one wrist...it needs to be  balanced out somehow...maybe I should wear both my DJs on the other wrist. 

trailboss99

Wear it? LOL, I have one but actually wearing it? 

ElvisFreak

i am looking to buy one used (even scratched up and worn out), if anyone in Canada or US has one...

Wouldn't pay much for it as I know I would likely put it back for sale here....

tabuktime
On 14/11/2017 at 00:03, Undinist said:

Did you look into the differences between the versions? The TD sites seem to have the same spiel for the $140 ones as the $4/500 ones.

Have you seen any on Ali/DaGate?  @Thommo82 is your man for that area.  Wouldn't mind a cheapie from there myself...

LightGeek
2 hours ago, trailboss99 said:

Wear it? LOL, I have one but actually wearing it? 

Agree. Bought one when it released for giggles -- and it was just that. Get a cheap one so it's easy to flip should you find it far too big...

RepGuy

The Deepsea is like a hooker. It's an interesting story to tell your friends about, but you would never be caught with it out in public. 

NCRich

$120ish shipped on DhGate.

Thommo82
4 hours ago, tabuktime said:

Have you seen any on Ali/DaGate?  @Thommo82 is your man for that area.  Wouldn't mind a cheapie from there myself...

Pretty sure I've spotted these, I think @NCRich is right on the price, I skipped past cos it's not for me. I'll put up a link here if I see it again 

tabuktime
9 hours ago, Thommo82 said:

Pretty sure I've spotted these, I think @NCRich is right on the price, I skipped past cos it's not for me. I'll put up a link here if I see it again 

Ta. Had a brief look, just came up with your pink Sunday watch...

Thommo82
53 minutes ago, tabuktime said:

Ta. Had a brief look, just came up with your pink Sunday watch...

Bullshit

I bet you searched specifically for that 

tabuktime
1 hour ago, Thommo82 said:

Bullshit

I bet you searched specifically for that 

Nope, was looking for this:

Checa-Claret-Watch.jpg

Couldn't find it on DaGate, even they have standards!

BadApple

rolex_image2261638.jpg

Thommo82
1 hour ago, BADAPPLE12 said:

rolex_image2261638.jpg

What's the depth rating?

To the Earth's core?