dave47

CHEAPIE ($10 and Under) from DH Gate

dave47
Hi, Gang!

Like fellow member NCRich, I too purchased an interesting ROLEX Sub 116613LG quartz powered for under $10 from DH GATE  just to see what type of watch it would bring.  After taking a while to reach me, it arrived this past Friday. Here's what I discovered:

(1).  Size wise, it was standard: 43mm x 13mm; -- and only 102 grams.
     (2).  The dial details were as expected: light character printing, with the informational data (e.g. Submariner title, water resistance depth, and "Official certified... .") squeezed together but readable. On the other hand, the dial's color is a deep blue with a fine sunburst quality to it when held to light.

(3).  The cyclops power is NOT 2.5x but about 1.5x or so.
     (4).  The case details are all right, with no rough edges but I doubt if its really stainless steel.
     (5).  The case back appears to be twist off, but at this price, is no doubt a pop off one; NOTE: UPDATE: Thanks to mate NCRICH, I discovered that the caseback of this cheapie DOES unscrew. I'll be darned.  THANKS, Rich, for the feedback.  the case back is PRINTED with the "WINNER... ." inscriptions usually found on inexpensive DAYTONA models.

(6).  The bracelet links are flimsy and are connected via rolled metal -- not screws or pins. Also, the insides of the bracelet links are not coated; thus there's no "gold links" on the insides.
     (7).  It has the fold over clasp, but the clasp part is locked by two push in pins.
     (8).  The bezel does move around the case but requires a firm pressure -- at least on mine.
     (9).  The minute/hour markers on the dial are tiny when compared to more costly reps -- and they have little-to-no lume in them. The hands are the only ones that seem to absorb light energy and glow faintly, at least on mine.

Overall, the old phrase "You get what you pay for" seems to apply here; on the other hand, for non purists, this isn't too shabby a piece of horology, especially when you keep the "99.99 Rule" in mind.  E.G. How many non-watch enthusiasts KNOW that Rolex Subs do not employ quartz movements?  Perhaps it's just me, but I wouldn't be ashamed to walk around with this on my wrist as a beater. From a distance, it DOES look like a better priced Rolex Sub rep (in my humble opinion).

And now, some pics!  Enjoy, and, of course, tell me what you think.  dave:

CHEAP.ROLEX.SUB.16613LB.Quartz%20001_zps

CHEAP.ROLEX.SUB.16613LB.Quartz%20003_zps

NOTE THE ROLLED METAL FASTENERS:

CHEAP.ROLEX.SUB.16613LB.Quartz%20004_zps

NOTE THE PUSH IN FASTENERS BELOW THE FLIP CLASP:

CHEAP.ROLEX.SUB.16613LB.Quartz%20005_zps

CHEAP.ROLEX.SUB.16613LB.Quartz%20006_zps

INSCRIBED CASE BACK for DAYTONA

CHEAP.ROLEX.SUB.16613LB.Quartz%20007_zps

NO "GOLD" ON THE UNDERSIDE OF THE LINKS

CHEAP.ROLEX.SUB.16613LB.Quartz%20008_zps

CHEAP.ROLEX.SUB.16613LB.Quartz%20009_zps

PRESENTATION WRISTIE

CHEAP.ROLEX.SUB.16613LB.Quartz%20011_zps

NOT TOO SHABBY FROM A DISTANCE; NOTE THE SUNBURST

CHEAP.ROLEX.SUB.16613LB.Quartz%20011_zps

CHEAP.ROLEX.SUB.16613LB.Quartz%20013_zps

LOOKS GOOD ON THE WRIST, I'D SAY; AGAIN, NOTE THE SUNBURST ON THE DIAL

CHEAP.ROLEX.SUB.16613LB.Quartz%20014_zps

tabuktime

Oh my!

NCRich

Hey Dave pretty much exactly like my Black and gold one.  It is stainless, and the case back does twist off.

Stevestown

Like you said...you get what you pay for. I bought a Nomos on the Gate for about $7. It’s quartz but for $7...

Glaude

So, this is the best Sub right ? :D

I was really curious after reading the post about this one in the DHgate section, not too shabby for this few bucks. Thank you for your review.

ssouthall6

Can't believe we've found a date wheel worse than ARF/JF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dave47
On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 13:38, NCRich said:

Hey Dave pretty much exactly like my Black and gold one.  It is stainless, and the case back does twist off.

Thanks for the advice about the case back.  I haven't tried to remove it yet & just ASSUMED it was a pop off. When I size the bracelet, I'll check it out. UPDATE:  Indeed, the case back on this thing DOES screw off. I stand corrected.

"Screw Off" dave

dave

Xpletiv

Going to use a pair of scissors to size it or just twist off a link or 2?

dave47
On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 13:38, NCRich said:

HEY, Rich!!  Thanks for the feedback. I got out my Rolex wrenches, and sure enough, the caseback screwed off!  I've never seen this on a cheapie. HIGH FIVE and a beer for YOU!! (Made the correction in the OP.)

dave

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 14:18, Stevestown said:

Like you said...you get what you pay for. I bought a Nomos on the Gate for about $7. It’s quartz but for $7...

'Nuff said!!  Sometimes, bargains DO appear!

dave

dave47
11 hours ago, Xpletiv said:

Going to use a pair of scissors to size it or just twist off a link or 2?

I wish!!  Resizing links held together with  rolled metal is about as much fun as sticking a screw driver into my eye!  heh!

dave47
On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 16:03, Glaude said:

So, this is the best Sub right ? :D

I was really curious after reading the post about this one in the DHgate section, not too shabby for this few bucks. Thank you for your review.

You're welcome, G.!  Just a service to the membership.

dave