MarkA

How to spot a fake Rolex...

black263

So to summarise - You need a gen alongside to compare with.  Do lots of checks then have it checked out by an AD.

deju

Only way is to pop the caseback. End of.

Duzza

You need a poacher turned game keeper to write a decent how to article on spotting a fake Rolex and this person clearly isn't that. Using collective experience of people in the luxury watch market isn't a good measure as they've probably only ever handled a small number of crap fakes. 

Virtually every point in this guide is untrue or inaccurate given the quality of the Rolex rep market today, not 15 years ago which is what it seems to be based on. 

Edited by Duzza

Left Coast Guy

Even the best of these articles leave me with the same point -- if you've got to do that much work to discern between something that costs $400 and something that costs $8K, why in the world would you buy the $8K version? Peace of mind maybe, but beyond that there's hardly an argument for great marginal value. 

GC

How to spot a fake Rolex?... join a replica watch forum. 

automatico

"How to spot a fake Rolex?... join a replica watch forum."

Very good advice. 

My guess is the newest breed of rolex submariners with the higher grade of the two '3135' clone movements will fool probably 70% to 80% of the "does this rolex watch match my $2000 shoes" rolex watch crowd and maybe even a few hot dog rolex freaks that are 'too good' to join or look at replica forums.  This also goes for quite a few sales drones at ADs.  A rolex mechanic will spot one in short order by looking at the movement but a non rolex watch repair guy would probably pass it as genuine unless they know to look at the hairspring and other details. 

I am not a modern rolex guy (4 digit acrylics for me) so I would be fairly easy to fool on modern watches unless I look under the hood as I am familiar with the 3000/3035/3130/3135 type movements.  Otoh I am 100% certain that a well done high grade vintage (5513/1680 etc) case with a genuine dial, movement, and bracelet could fool me more often than not if it was properly aged and had first class letters and numbers on the case.  I also suspect that quite a few examples are being sold every day as genuine.

I am not about to spend the $$ on a genuine vintage rolex 5512/13/1680/1675/1655 etc at today's prices but if I had the $$ to pizz away...today's 'perfect replicas' would probably scare me away.  "Buy the seller, not the watch" is BS to me because I doubt all of the 'Big Time' vintage watch dealers can tell a high grade Frankenstein from genuine every time and if they do get stuck with one, many of them will probably pass it on to a Greenhorn at a busy watch show to get their $$ back.   

That is how good these watches and clone movements are now compared to just a few years ago.   Imho.

McGilli
18 hours ago, MarkA said:

...or how to spot a good rep...

https://anon.to/hMP47O

Whether the information is outdated etc I still found it an interesting read - but I know nothing about Rolex watches, and am just learning about different quality levels of Reps - so this kind of reading is just interesting to me.

narikaa

How to spot a fake Rolex...

Very easy

If you see the word 'ROLEX' anywhere on the watch

Point, laugh, & shout "raving fake you wanker"

Statistically, 999 times out of 1000 you'll be right (about the fake, it being wrapped around a wanker is, however, open to conjecture :facepalm: )

:giggle:

Warning: This product may contain nuts  The above is made for entertainment purposes only we take no responsibility for wired jaws etc incurred by inepts carrying out these suggestions

RussP

Fake Rolex's abound on this forum.

BadPickle

Fake watches are for fake people 

raxford
  • Squint really really hard about 6 inches from their wrist
  • Compare with notes on the rep forums
  • Continue to be unsure
  • Continue living your life

black263

Look at the dial.  Does it say Rolex.  If so, probably fake.

McGilli
On 11/16/2017 at 07:33, black263 said:

Look at the dial.  Does it say Rolex.  If so, probably fake.

Especially if they are wrapping your burger at McDonalds.

Mr Stubbs
1 hour ago, McGilli said:

Nailed it!  :coffee:

MarkA
On 15/11/2017 at 16:51, Left Coast Guy said:

Even the best of these articles leave me with the same point -- if you've got to do that much work to discern between something that costs $400 and something that costs $8K, why in the world would you buy the $8K version? Peace of mind maybe, but beyond that there's hardly an argument for great marginal value. 

This. Exactly this. That's why we're all here...

deju
On 17/11/2017 at 18:30, McGilli said:

nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.

You can get a Rolex Deepsea for £140 a month on interest free.... anyone working at McDonalds can afford one.

an 18/20yr old part time staff member at McDonalds would only need to work 22.5hours a month to buy it.

narikaa

Ive been banging this drum for years

A seller of 'Big Issues' could get one...or anyone on UK benefits

They're a popular tool watch, overpriced and over hyped. But no way do they measure up as exclusive or for that matter 'up there' with the price tag.

So yes burger flippers, doleites etc all can readily aspire :giggle:

As a ready comparison, my latest rep purchase for my own gratification springs to mind - it is a Limited Edition 41mm Frosted Royal Oak the gen of which IS exclusive (limited to 200pcs) and bears a selling price of $55K

jsmm

good stuff

Undinist

According to a local barista, the green sticker on the back tells you it's real.  That's how she decided my BP DJ40 is fake. 

Jibuti
On 16. 11. 2017 at 09:50, pickledbeetroot said:

Fake watches are for fake people 

yes..... we are fake, only interwebz eez real

McGilli
14 hours ago, deju said:

You can get a Rolex Deepsea for £140 a month on interest free.... anyone working at McDonalds can afford one.

an 18/20yr old part time staff member at McDonalds would only need to work 22.5hours a month to buy it.

Fair enough. Payment plans didn't even occur to me...

Undinist

Yeah, those minimum wage people would much rather have a watch than a car or a phone plan or clothes or a place to live.

deju
22 minutes ago, Undinist said:

Yeah, those minimum wage people would much rather have a watch than a car or a phone plan or clothes or a place to live.

People have different priorities in life and spend things on weird and wonderful stuff. Seen plenty folk prioritise clothing or cars haha

jsmm

so true