ShovelnTC

Disappointing threads.

ShovelnTC

Well we've got some great Forum Birthday Givaways generously brought to us by our TD's and staff yet there are more views and responses to a couple of over played tit for tat playschool threads.

This plus the plethora of DHG crap watch threads are a touch disappointing to me at least.

I yearn for the good old days.

RUSH2112

The tit for tat threads can be amusing but I also am not a huge fan of dhg for watches.

KarmaToBurn

Things have been a bit slower recently. I blame the steadily increasing price of reps and the lack of unique new releases for driving a few people away. You can get a cool mid price gen for the price of a good rep. I think the DHG stuff is popular because it's cheap and the orders are a mystery without too much financial risk. 

brang1
19 minutes ago, KarmaToBurn said:

Things have been a bit slower recently. I blame the steadily increasing price of reps and the lack of unique new releases for driving a few people away. You can get a cool mid price gen for the price of a good rep. I think the DHG stuff is popular because it's cheap and the orders are a mystery without too much financial risk. 

This is exactly right! Some off the rep prices have got bloody silly, they are after all REPLICA’s. it’s quite true, you can buy from the Gate, not waste a lot off coin, and if you really like it, buy a decent one. I don’t think the Gate is detrimental to the TD’s, just another option. I buy from both, and some Gate purchases went straight in the bin. But I have also received watches from TDs that I moved on immediately because they were not fantastic. Variety is the spice of life 

McGilli

I'll throw my hat in - since I'm enjoying the more 'joking' threads lately. Being fairly new to reps, and having placed a couple of orders in the last month (Still waiting for them to arrive) I am reading lot of other threads, but many I don't have anything to add, just to learn so it's more of soaking it all up and take in what I can about different brands and experiences.

As far as the contest threads, I figured those would be better just to be left for people to enter the contest - so the Admins will have an easier time tallying the entries and not wading through anything else. I think that might be why those threads aren't as active as others.

But - I have no idea what the older times were like here. Alright, hope things take a turn for how you like 'em soon :) 

EDIT: I keep reading that Reps used to be much cheaper - Haha totally wish I was into them before! My wallet would be happier!

Thommo82

The birthday threads are one comment only though......

The reason I buy from the gate more than I do from TD's is all down to price. On my wage I simply cannot afford $300 USD once a month to quench my thirst. 

I have a decent understanding of the Gate now and can find the diamonds in the rough without too much hassle. 

I can get a watch from the gate im happy with for $75 USD, and if the movement fucks out, I'll just replace it.

I totally get where you are coming from though, but in my opinion, if you're not in this hobby for a bit of fun, you're in it for the wrong reasons 

RepGuy
6 minutes ago, brang1 said:

This is exactly right! Some off the rep prices have got bloody silly, they are after all REPLICA’s. it’s quite true, you can buy from the Gate, not waste a lot off coin, and if you really like it, buy a decent one. I don’t think the Gate is detrimental to the TD’s, just another option. I buy from both, and some Gate purchases went straight in the bin. But I have also received watches from TDs that I moved on immediately because they were not fantastic. Variety is the spice of life 

Couldn't agree more. I was heavily into AP's for most of my rep heavy time here. The problem is they are creeping up in price to the point where a decently accurate stock model is $450+. This isn't even taking into account the modded versions for sale next door. And then there are the "premium" factory models like the Schumacher, that retail for over $700.

Keep in mind that these all have the unreliable modified A7750 movement, and are known to have problems. I could have forgiven all of this if not for the lack of guaranteed water resistance. There were times I would have to take my rep off to get out of my car because I was worried about the rain ruining my $700 watch. 

After a while, it got old, and I transitioned to gen models, which are entirely made up of micro brands at this point. I get a warranty, customer service, more movement reliability, and guaranteed water resistance.  I know many people (my past self included) say that many reps have similar build quality to gens, but after getting more into gens myself, I no longer believe that. 

I guess the point I'm trying to make is this... With the steadily rising costs of reps, many are pushing into gen territory. Pair this with the lack of support (TD's can only do so much), and unreliable parts in some reps, and you're left with an increase in cost with no real reasoning to back it up.  I also think that's why so many seasoned members have turned to DHGate.

I still enjoy reps, but I'm down to one now, and have no current plans to get another. Maybe someday prices will go back down, or the watches will be more reliable overall, but I don't see that happening.

KarmaToBurn
12 minutes ago, McGilli said:

I keep reading that Reps used to be much cheaper - Haha totally wish I was into them before! My wallet would be happier!

About 5 years ago a high end rep would be less than $300. Also, the Canadian dollar used to be stronger so I personally had more buying power to play with :p 

brang1
13 minutes ago, RepGuy said:

Couldn't agree more. I was heavily into AP's for most of my rep heavy time here. The problem is they are creeping up in price to the point where a decently accurate stock model is $450+. This isn't even taking into account the modded versions for sale next door. And then there are the "premium" factory models like the Schumacher, that retail for over $700.

Keep in mind that these all have the unreliable modified A7750 movement, and are known to have problems. I could have forgiven all of this if not for the lack of guaranteed water resistance. There were times I would have to take my rep off to get out of my car because I was worried about the rain ruining my $700 watch. 

After a while, it got old, and I transitioned to gen models, which are entirely made up of micro brands at this point. I get a warranty, customer service, more movement reliability, and guaranteed water resistance.  I know many people (my past self included) say that many reps have similar build quality to gens, but after getting more into gens myself, I no longer believe that. 

I guess the point I'm trying to make is this... With the steadily rising costs of reps, many are pushing into gen territory. Pair this with the lack of support (TD's can only do so much), and unreliable parts in some reps, and you're left with an increase in cost with no real reasoning to back it up.  I also think that's why so many seasoned members have turned to DHGate.

I still enjoy reps, but I'm down to one now, and have no current plans to get another. Maybe someday prices will go back down, or the watches will be more reliable overall, but I don't see that happening.

11 minutes ago, KarmaToBurn said:

About 5 years ago a high end rep would be less than $300. Also, the Canadian dollar used to be stronger so I personally had more buying power to play with :p 

exactly, take for instance TitsMcgee  had a Hamilton Khaki for 325 ! this is a beautiful Swiss made watch and less money even new than a lot of reps. I too have been moving more on gens, Chris Ward, Glycine etc. great quality watches. And as KarmaToBurn noted, the Aussie dollar too is shite so a 300usd rep ends up over 400aud with fees etc

RussP

Did somebody mention the (lack of) strength of the Aussie Peso?

brang1

I know Russ, not much millet for a peso nowadays , hard to feed a family of 23

6 minutes ago, RussP said:

Did somebody mention the (lack of) strength of the Aussie Peso?

Thommo82
8 minutes ago, brang1 said:

I know Russ, not much millet for a peso nowadays , hard to feed a family of 23

I have to do 50 hours to take home $1000, doesn't give me a whole heap of wiggle room 

brang1
31 minutes ago, Thommo82 said:

I have to do 50 hours to take home $1000, doesn't give me a whole heap of wiggle room 

Removalist is hard yakka Thommo, I know, I use to have a couple of furniture shops and manufacturing so I know all about loading and unloading trucks, don’t miss that shit at all

Thommo82
23 minutes ago, brang1 said:

Removalist is hard yakka Thommo, I know, I use to have a couple of furniture shops and manufacturing so I know all about loading and unloading trucks, don’t miss that shit at all

15 years doing this shit, that's why I'm getting out, going to work with my brother setting up a butchers shop in South Yarra in the new year. Hence the move to Melbourne 

TheSav

I think that there are still a lot of really good reps around for around the $300 mark. One of the main problems I think though is that they haven’t released as many new models of late and That the quality has necessarily risen on par with the prices. 

Personaly my collection consists of mostly gens but I have a few super reps and junkers mixed in. However I can’t drop $3-$400 as easily on a rep as I used to as I ono what else I can get for not much more on the grey market. 

As for the quality of threads, what do you expect with the like of thommo and his possy of banana benders. 

brang1

thats fantastic mate, and that is the place to open one, they will pay anything for gourmet meats around there. 

Thommo82
7 minutes ago, TheSav said:

As for the quality of threads, what do you expect with the like of thommo and his possy of banana benders. 

Something needs to be done about him 

7 minutes ago, brang1 said:

thats fantastic mate, and that is the place to open one, they will pay anything for gourmet meats around there. 

Exactly

There will be no $5.99 bulk bbq sausages for sale in our store 

brang1

fantastic, i really want a good contact for some decent steak

edwinowl

I agree the reps price has got out of hand , I haven't had one in a long time but to be fair I am fortunate to have been able to get in the gen game and in a way they got me there. 

As for the forum the old days were lively to say the least and that was down to the characters that are no longer around. Made pickle look like a saint ;)

brang1
5 minutes ago, edwinowl said:

I agree the reps price has got out of hand , I haven't had one in a long time but to be fair I am fortunate to have been able to get in the gen game and in a way they got me there. 

As for the forum the old days were lively to say the least and that was down to the characters that are no longer around. Made pickle look like a saint ;)

Made Pickle look like a Saint ???? not sure whether thats a good thing or a bad thing. Kinda like choosing being hit by a train or a bus

brang1

i think the great thing about this forum is the fact we can have serious threads, but we are also not afraid of taking the piss at each other. its all healthy, young or old, new or ancient, this place operates well as a social place for all of us replica misfits

Present company accepted off course, I'm way above everyone else here

Pesman

Ironic that a thread about the lack of interesting threads becomes...interesting.
IMHO the blurred line between a rep that feels substantial and well made, budget watches, kick starter watches and the amazing grey market deals the US has is ever thicker.
I has always loved watches and this forum opened up a chance to try amazing 'well known brands at a fraction of the price. I'd only ever had the holiday market Freitlings and Bombega 's up until I discovered high end reps.
I've been on here around 5 years now buying, trading and generally enjoying discovering what I like. At the same time I have been fortunate enough to follow a similar path on WUS with lower priced gens.
Prices have increased but so has quality. I have IWC reps in ceramic, divers with stunning Bezels. I find the 7750's are a lot more reliable now.
Gen brands with covet continue to be daft prices...anyone looked at recent PO prices lately? Reps still offer a great alternative and being brutally honest maybe a bit of me hopes that the increased cost is reflecting a small improvement in working conditions for the skilled craftsman who produce a stunning, weighty, smooth and beautifully finished rep for 3% of the originals cost!
In the meantime I'll also enjoy my CW, RW and Tag gens and be grateful I have a friend in the US who will ship grey market watches for me.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

GC

Forums and social communities are all about change. Sure we have 91k members, but let’s be honest... if 100 of us post on a daily basis that would be a lot. My guess is it’s the same 32 guys posting, all the time. 

Its always 30-40 people depending on the size of the forum, five years ago it was 15-20 guys ( ten or so of those guys are no longer posting) and of that lot 5 were really into photography (myself included).  Last person I saw after a 2 year sabbatical was Gazzla. Lots more photo threads and reviews back then as well, and yes reps were less expensive by circa $100. 

My 2 cents

BadApple

Shoot me down for saying this but I wasn't around in the good old days - my good old days on here are now.

I am on several forums for several of my interests - this is the best as it allows a level of banter that stops making it boring.

I had no idea that it is TD / M2M only purchases should be discussed on here so whoever set up the DHGate section on the site should maybe remove it as people will think it's allowed.

People come and people go just as that come out of the woodwork when freebies are on offer but nowhere to be seen because they ain't forking out $400 on a what was $300 watch 6 months ago.

BadPickle

Dogshit -Gate and AliExpress shite are just for the lazy fuckers here, the facefuck generation who tell you they have 235678 friends, but actually never leave the house.... a few drunken clicks and a crappy watch turns up. 

I will NEVER buy from those sites, nor buy some tat which originated from there.

I’m with Shovln-TC on this... 

Day1 Lesson1 = always stick to the trusted dealers. Simples! 

And @edwinowl

yes, I am a Saint ;)