ShovelnTC

Disappointing threads.

Davesjourney

I've only been here a relatively short time in just over a year.  Yes, reps are what got me here in the first place and I still love to see what folk are wearing and buying.  I also love to read threads which go south where folk take monumental bits of piss out of each other!   You should hear the conversation when we have a GTG!!

I welcome with open arms a Noob, hopefully 1's on the T.N.S.  The more the merrier - but 2's, 3's and especially 4's are fair game for piss taking, as are those who manage somehow to score the same number on the T.W.A.T. scale.

Watches and banter - works for me! 

deju

I think due to costs most have moved onto gens, as the prices creep the little flaws are more annoying. 

I disagree about nothing interesting coming out. 

Apart from the odd m2m purchase I ordered my first rep from a TD this year, the ARF Daytona. Aparently now with 904 l ss.

On top of that the V2 of the latest BR03 Hololum is as 1:1 as it gets for $300.

I guess it’s boring for the Rolex Diver (modern) watch brigade, because they like a boring watch and all new reps are always slightly flawed but even if it was perfect it be yawn! 

I think the DHgate part is more for people enjoying the game and the excitement that used to be with reps. It’s more about the chase than the final outcome! 

As for the lack of banter, many of the members are getting old. Probably in bed by 7pm these days. 

the_frenchman
24 minutes ago, deju said:

I think due to costs most have moved onto gens, as the prices creep the little flaws are more annoying. 

Apart from the odd m2m purchase I ordered my first rep from a TD this year, the ARF Daytona. Aparently now with 904 l ss.

I guess it’s boring for the Rolex Diver (modern) watch brigade, because they like a boring watch and all new reps are always slightly flawed but even if it was perfect it be yawn! 

I think the DHgate part is more for people enjoying the game and the excitement that used to be with reps. It’s more about the chase than the final outcome! 

Absolutely my thoughts with all this

brang1

Each to his own, like I said, I buy from TDS I buy from the Gate , you can get shafted by any of them or win, hell, I think I’ve just been shafted on M2M the last place you would expect, but it’s the rep game SHIT happens

Thommo82
1 hour ago, Davesjourney said:

Watches and banter - works for me! 

This....

1 hour ago, deju said:

And this.... 

Moondustesp

What we need is a few fresh reviews to read and some project posts. I have a few projects on the boil and will try to add some “decent” content in the coming weeks. As for the gate? Each to their own. Why do some of us spend ££££ on frankens?? Have a great  day people :chewbacca:

KarmaToBurn
4 hours ago, deju said:

As for the lack of banter, many of the members are getting old. Probably in bed by 7pm these days. 

Well said but once again a $300 USD rep works out to over $400 CDN after shipping and exchange rate are applied so the new stuff isn't cheap. I'm here originally because I'm a cheap fucker who loves watches. These days when I visit the TD's sites I head straight to the special offer sections to see what's up. Unfortunately, Toro hasn't added much new sruff to his in a while (though he does have 60 watches there) and there hasn't been a new Tony Crazy Sale in ages. 

3 hours ago, Moondustesp said:

What we need is a few fresh reviews to read and some project posts. I have a few projects on the boil and will try to add some “decent” content in the coming weeks. As for the gate? Each to their own. Why do some of us spend ££££ on frankens?? Have a great  day people :chewbacca:

Some spend the money on Frankenstein because they're bonkers others do it because they like modding stuff. Remember the dude who covered his rep in diamonds next door? Looking forward to your decent content :)

Moondustesp

I know mate I am one of the franken idiots

RepGuy

I could never get into a franken. I toyed with the idea recently, and found the costs to be absolutely ridiculous. I think many repeat franken builders, it's more about the process than the finished product, but when I see those $3k AP builds, it makes me cringe.

KarmaToBurn
38 minutes ago, Moondustesp said:

I know mate I am one of the franken idiots

I always picture the Frankenstein guys as having really cool cars because they like to tinker with stuff. Is this true or is it just restricted to watches?

Moondustesp
25 minutes ago, KarmaToBurn said:

I always picture the Frankenstein guys as having really cool cars because they like to tinker with stuff. Is this true or is it just restricted to watches?

Been there done that and realised it was a waste of money so just because bought a nice car to start with. The franken watches are just so much fun even though they make no financial sense. 

Stewart

My first TD rep purchase in 2015 was an Omega Sea Master from Josh. It cost me $149.

If I wanted to buy that same watch today it would cost $328.

I bought an AP 15450 recently that I love and wanted a strap for it. TD charged me $90, for a strap, made of vinyl. Had the strap remade by a TD strap maker...for $200.

Watch $368, fake strap (I needed the buckle) $90, Great strap $200, Shipping $45, Total $703 

Gen Baume Et Mercier Classima  $685 with free shipping and 2 year warranty    https://www.jomashop.com/baume-et-mercier-watch-moa10381.html

I made the choice to buy what I bought because it was what I wanted. But, this is an example where I find myself browsing Jomashop and other related sites more and more because of the price comparisons. 

Also, fewer and fewer reviews! I found the reviews both interesting and educating but I have not seen a decent one in months! I have not posted a picture/review since Photobucket and I have not been motivated enough to learn a new photo site so yes, I am part of the problem.

TD's need more sales. I think the occasional 20% off would do wonders for their sales.

Glaude
12 hours ago, ShovelnTC said:

Well we've got some great Forum Birthday Givaways generously brought to us by our TD's and staff yet there are more views and responses to a couple of over played tit for tat playschool threads.

This plus the plethora of DHG crap watch threads are a touch disappointing to me at least.

I yearn for the good old days.

I'm a noob, so I don't if my point has any valour or meaning but I find it very nice a cool that this Birthday giveaways happens, even some open to all members, but I don't see the point of comparing this sort of threads with the others.

For the plethora of DHG, that the great thing with a forum or any online content, you can pass if you don't like it. With a dedicated section, open to VIP/Supporter only you are pretty sure that you won't have too much posting and it's easy to ignore it.

Where you make a point is that maybe we got a little carried away recently with a very fast deep into the madness even in regular posts (I'm feeling a bit responsible for that too). Section 8 is rather calm but should be a little more animated in there and a little less in General discussion.

11 hours ago, KarmaToBurn said:

Things have been a bit slower recently. I blame the steadily increasing price of reps and the lack of unique new releases for driving a few people away. You can get a cool mid price gen for the price of a good rep. I think the DHG stuff is popular because it's cheap and the orders are a mystery without too much financial risk. 

I don't see any opposing side between TD and DHGate sales, there's just not simply the same, I'll always order from TD when I want a great rep and with the gate when I only want some fun.

11 hours ago, brang1 said:

This is exactly right! Some off the rep prices have got bloody silly, they are after all REPLICA’s. it’s quite true, you can buy from the Gate, not waste a lot off coin, and if you really like it, buy a decent one. I don’t think the Gate is detrimental to the TD’s, just another option. I buy from both, and some Gate purchases went straight in the bin. But I have also received watches from TDs that I moved on immediately because they were not fantastic. Variety is the spice of life 

I'm totally new to this game, for people used to the old prices, I'm sure the actual price of rep could seem a bit high. For me, seeing the quality of the rep, the number of details I don't find the rep game to be so expensive, I sure can't buy a good rep from a TD each month but that would be rapidly boring if I could. I like to hoard, but I like to take my time to do so, as you said, spice of life !

11 hours ago, McGilli said:

I'll throw my hat in - since I'm enjoying the more 'joking' threads lately. Being fairly new to reps, and having placed a couple of orders in the last month (Still waiting for them to arrive) I am reading lot of other threads, but many I don't have anything to add, just to learn so it's more of soaking it all up and take in what I can about different brands and experiences.

As far as the contest threads, I figured those would be better just to be left for people to enter the contest - so the Admins will have an easier time tallying the entries and not wading through anything else. I think that might be why those threads aren't as active as others.

But - I have no idea what the older times were like here. Alright, hope things take a turn for how you like 'em soon :) 

EDIT: I keep reading that Reps used to be much cheaper - Haha totally wish I was into them before! My wallet would be happier!

You and I are the noob of the moment (it seems !).
I share the same feeling as you, I want to get involved in this board, but I don't want to postwore in good thread where I don't even have a good question to ask, or something to say. So I postwhore in useless threads :D 

11 hours ago, Thommo82 said:

The birthday threads are one comment only though......

The reason I buy from the gate more than I do from TD's is all down to price. On my wage I simply cannot afford $300 USD once a month to quench my thirst. 

I have a decent understanding of the Gate now and can find the diamonds in the rough without too much hassle. 

I can get a watch from the gate im happy with for $75 USD, and if the movement fucks out, I'll just replace it.

I totally get where you are coming from though, but in my opinion, if you're not in this hobby for a bit of fun, you're in it for the wrong reasons 

I cannot agree more, if you weren't a bloody cunt, your post would be golden !

11 hours ago, KarmaToBurn said:

About 5 years ago a high end rep would be less than $300. Also, the Canadian dollar used to be stronger so I personally had more buying power to play with :p 

With the Euro to dollar ratio, for European customers, it's quite a good time to buy reps.

9 hours ago, TheSav said:

I think that there are still a lot of really good reps around for around the $300 mark. One of the main problems I think though is that they haven’t released as many new models of late and That the quality has necessarily risen on par with the prices. 

Personaly my collection consists of mostly gens but I have a few super reps and junkers mixed in. However I can’t drop $3-$400 as easily on a rep as I used to as I ono what else I can get for not much more on the grey market. 

As for the quality of threads, what do you expect with the like of thommo and his possy of banana benders. 

I think this guy like you (us ?) Thommo !
If I buy a rep, it's because I want a rep of a watch I'll never be able to afford. For the look or for the prestige, whatever. You can't have all gen watch on the grey market for only 300 $ or so. Rep market is there for a reason.

8 hours ago, brang1 said:

i think the great thing about this forum is the fact we can have serious threads, but we are also not afraid of taking the piss at each other. its all healthy, young or old, new or ancient, this place operates well as a social place for all of us replica misfits

Present company accepted off course, I'm way above everyone else here

Amen !

8 hours ago, Pesman said:

Ironic that a thread about the lack of interesting threads becomes...interesting.
IMHO the blurred line between a rep that feels substantial and well made, budget watches, kick starter watches and the amazing grey market deals the US has is ever thicker.
I has always loved watches and this forum opened up a chance to try amazing 'well known brands at a fraction of the price. I'd only ever had the holiday market Freitlings and Bombega 's up until I discovered high end reps.
I've been on here around 5 years now buying, trading and generally enjoying discovering what I like. At the same time I have been fortunate enough to follow a similar path on WUS with lower priced gens.
Prices have increased but so has quality. I have IWC reps in ceramic, divers with stunning Bezels. I find the 7750's are a lot more reliable now.
Gen brands with covet continue to be daft prices...anyone looked at recent PO prices lately? Reps still offer a great alternative and being brutally honest maybe a bit of me hopes that the increased cost is reflecting a small improvement in working conditions for the skilled craftsman who produce a stunning, weighty, smooth and beautifully finished rep for 3% of the originals cost!
In the meantime I'll also enjoy my CW, RW and Tag gens and be grateful I have a friend in the US who will ship grey market watches for me.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I think this the closest of what I think (I know nobody cares...)
Rep price is increasing, so does the quality and that's something I have read on this forum a lot. I have binge-read this forum, and the thing that come up the most, is the steady increase in the quality and fidelity of the rep from TDs. That has to have a cost !
You can find good rep for fewer than 200 $ and they can fool 99% of the people you'll encounter if that what count.

6 hours ago, BADAPPLE12 said:

Shoot me down for saying this but I wasn't around in the good old days - my good old days on here are now.

I am on several forums for several of my interests - this is the best as it allows a level of banter that stops making it boring.

I had no idea that it is TD / M2M only purchases should be discussed on here so whoever set up the DHGate section on the site should maybe remove it as people will think it's allowed.

People come and people go just as that come out of the woodwork when freebies are on offer but nowhere to be seen because they ain't forking out $400 on a what was $300 watch 6 months ago.

I think this is a good thing that DHgate section is VIP/Supporter only, but maybe an Off topic VIP/supporter only could also be a good idea.

5 hours ago, deju said:

Everyone comes into this game for their own reason, I respect people wanting something that I'm not interested in, I would really like they do the same with others like me.
I won't go as far as your last sentence, but that made me laugh !  :D

39 minutes ago, RepGuy said:

I could never get into a franken. I toyed with the idea recently, and found the costs to be absolutely ridiculous. I think many repeat franken builders, it's more about the process than the finished product, but when I see those $3k AP builds, it makes me cringe.

Thanks ! I feel the same, though I don't bother me to see that some folks happily enjoy this part of the game.

deju
1 hour ago, RepGuy said:

If I had the balls to work with gen parts (£££) I'd love to build like a genstein Rolex or Omega. I think the thrill of sourcing parts and then building it yourself would be great. I don't see the same rush from paying others to do it though.

RUSH2112

This thread is all over the place.  Very disappointing 

Moondustesp

:flash:

:freddy:

Undinist

I keep wanting to make Rolexes that aren't in the official product range. Home-made fantasy watches, all with rep parts. Is there a word for that?

McGilli
10 hours ago, brang1 said:

i think the great thing about this forum is the fact we can have serious threads, but we are also not afraid of taking the piss at each other. its all healthy, young or old, new or ancient, this place operates well as a social place for all of us replica misfits

Present company accepted off course, I'm way above everyone else here

Agree. Before I actually signed up here - after lurking for a little bit - I actually didn't 'get' this forum. For all my years - all the forums I've been part of were... PC (politically Correct). Anyone swears, or disses anyone else and you get warned or banned. A thread goes off-topic? Shit down. So, It took me a while to actually figure out what this forum is... And so talking to Claude the other night, I was saying that when I decided to sign up - it's because I realized what this forum was like 'for me' : It's like a night out at a pub really with the guys or girls. There's good banter, people talking about stuff that interests them - and yes name calling (in good spirits) and some disagreements which can lead to a few fists thrown on occasion. 

So this forum is just like the real world. Except the drinks are cheaper here and no cover charge!

9 hours ago, GC said:

Forums and social communities are all about change. Sure we have 91k members, but let’s be honest... if 100 of us post on a daily basis that would be a lot. My guess is it’s the same 32 guys posting, all the time. 

This thread - actually might be the best indicator of the 'regular guys' at this point in the forum's history. Who else would reply to a topic like this ;) 

Griffo
20 minutes ago, Undinist said:

Is there a word for that?

Shite

GC
10 minutes ago, Griffo said:

Shite

giphy.gif

Moondustesp

This is the most interesting thread  at the moment let’s make it count :blah:

:heffalump:

onzenuub

Is this thread about frep watches, tsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssk cunts.

Moondustesp

Cunts where :clouseaul:

deju
40 minutes ago, onzenuub said:

Nobody asked you noob! TssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssK 

iabounty
42 minutes ago, onzenuub said:

Oh onze grow a pair and post every once and awhile  you old Dutch Cop.              :lol: