IamWatching

The 2813 movement

IamWatching

Hey guys - glad to be here part of this community that was introduced to me recently by a lovely chap.

Quick question for those with a watch that uses the chinese movement (2813);

1 - how reliable have you found it to be (day to day, long term etc)?

2 - how stable is this movement in terms of dropping or gaining time?

3 - What other movements would compete with this one (within this price range)?    I have heard of some decent Miyotto movements too.

Many thanks

BadPickle

well, whoever recommended you didn't do their job properly did they :fail: 

wriggles will be along shortly with some important information...... but in the meantime, have a shufty at this- 

IamWatching

Thanks for the response.

I think we're all winners - nobody really fails - we just learn.

Thanks again for your reply and information

GenTLe

2813 is a basic auto movement. It beats 21600 times per hour (BPH), so not like most of the modern watches that use 28800BPH and this is reflected by the motion of the second hand:

Also it has and indirect driven second hand, like the Citizen-Miyota (not "miyotto") 82xx, from which it's derived. This means that the pinion on the second hand is not part of the main gear train. To put it simple: it's better not to put heavy second hands on it because it can present the problem of stuttering. See here when the second hand is around 05 or 10 sec after 12:

Personally I don't like it and I much prefer Miyota 9015 (a good thin 28800 BPH high beat direct driven second hand movement) or the asian clones of the eta (2836, 2824 and so on).

Anyway once regulated it can keep good time and last for a lot of time. And if it breaks, it is cheap to replace.

Still, I prefer the others, especially if they come from Sea-Gull company which, in my view, have nothing to envy to swiss standard ETA from which they are clones.

Left Coast Guy

Just my experience, but its seems even among 2813's there are a few different grade of mov'ts -- I had two of the lower grade that had issues fairly quickly after purchase, and while I don't know the names of parts within the mov't offhand, when I popped the mov'ts open to attempt to repair, I was surprised to find plastic parts inside the mov'ts itself. For instance, on a DSSD, the mov't had a lever in the date advancement quickset that was plastic, it had cracked inside the mov't and the piece was caught in a gear. I was able to remove the piece and get the mov't running, but the quickset date was irrepairable. 

At the same point, I've had some 2813 mov'ts that have run for years with no issues and a few even beaten pretty hard and still run strong. I'm not sure how to tell the different models apart, but bring it up just to say that 2813 can be a fine mov't, so its not instantly bad just for being a 21j. 

greg_r

Yeah, there's a multitude of "DG2813" movements from a variety of manufacturers. Some are pretty solid, some not so much. Bit of a lottery, really, as you never know which variety you're going to get. However, my oldest is just coming up to 18 years old, and I've had a couple of others for the better part of a decade, so they can last well...