henrychinaski

Which Seiko should I buy in Tokyo?

henrychinaski

Ok Seiko freaks - time to convince me which is the BEST in your opinion, Seiko limited to the islands of Japan?

I don't know a hell of a lot about them.  I know the turtle reissue are fairly sort after for some people and the Grand Seiko's are pretty amazing...but that's about it.

k3rm87

Sarb017 Alpinist would be my pick!

henrychinaski
1 hour ago, k3rm87 said:

Sarb017 Alpinist would be my pick!

Nice choice! 

tabuktime

Buy them all!

But seriously, what is your normal watch style? Diver, chronograph, dress? They've got them all...

Also, what's your budget? Grand Seiko money?

henrychinaski
51 minutes ago, tabuktime said:

Buy them all!

But seriously, what is your normal watch style? Diver, chronograph, dress? They've got them all...

Also, what's your budget? Grand Seiko money?

Yeah, I probably will buy a few I think...

Day to day I wear divers mainly but I do like to have a nice dress watch for occasions. Would be tempted to buy a vintage Speedie if I come across one. And looking at Seiko's I really like the 6139-6040 chrono style. Will probably pick up something for my little boy too :)

Edited by henrychinaski

Davesjourney

The Presage line, especially the SRPB41 with the stunning blue 'cocktail time' type dial would be my choice (as I already have an Sarb017 Alpinist).  Also an Sarb035 or Sarb065 would be in the running for me.

Happy hunting - would love to hear the cost of picking one of those up out there!

RussP

Why not one of these vintage watchs?

I'm sure Japan will have second-hand (terrible pun, I know) shops at almost every street corner.

It has the hallmark of a Grand Seiko.............but at a quarter of the price?

38118433402_7085164c4d_b.jpg

henrychinaski
Why not one of these vintage watchs?
I'm sure Japan will have second-hand (terrible pun, I know) shops at almost every street corner.
It has the hallmark of a Grand Seiko.............but at a quarter of the price?
38118433402_7085164c4d_b.jpg&key=9a66ee9e188ddb36f02907aa1af6af338db01ade84f3f2ecb809f3e732741fcf

Top idea. Thank you.

I thought there might be a few JDM only watches that I should look at also.

Looking forward to the hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WatchDog21

Perfect time to acquire a Grand Seiko!

cvp3

Most Seikos can be purchased online for less than you would pay in Japan's watch shops. If you're avoiding VAT or other customs fees (understandable) be careful. Vintage watches though is like a watch lovers paradise. I saw model there that I never saw before and VERY well restored or cared for.

Edited by cvp3

BIG GRUNDY

Very interested in this thread and some pictures of your (travels) watch posibilties.. please do keep this thread going...

Piccolo

I struggled to find places to buy anything worthwhile.  The obvious places (big stores/AD's) are more expensive and you can buy the same online.  The second hand market is massive and widespread so I reckon you need to have a really good idea of where you are going before you go. 

JDM models are fairly widely available outside of Japan too. 

What's your budget?

cvp3
1 hour ago, Piccolo said:

I struggled to find places to buy anything worthwhile.  The obvious places (big stores/AD's) are more expensive and you can buy the same online.  The second hand market is massive and widespread so I reckon you need to have a really good idea of where you are going before you go. 

JDM models are fairly widely available outside of Japan too. 

What's your budget?

I've gone twice and hit major cities from Tokyo south - Kobe, Osaka, Tokyo, Kyoto, Fukuoka.....never been north of Tokyo though. Just ask locals where to find watch shops. If they repair, chances are they resell as well. Saw a lot of models I would never feel comfortable buying as I'm not savvy enough to know GEN movement, dial, etc. versus a refurb. I usually stick to old 17 to 25 jewel hand-winders below $100. For those traveling from the US, the dollar is VERY favorable right now at 112 yen. It hit as high as 114 when I was there. I found a currency converter in a little town walking up to a shrine with $0 conversion fee and an accurate rate so I loaded up. I'm going back in May and I'll be on a mission to find a few vintage watches myself.