Taimaru

Waterproofness of my pf 5711

Taimaru

Hey so I just recently received my patek 5711 from the PF factory and I wanted to know how reliable it's going to be under water and if its not what have you guys done to get it waterproofed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thrichar

Mate - I wouldn't recommend even looking at a glass of water wearing a rep!

Taimaru

Has anyone gotten theirs waterproofed then?

Thommo82

Yep, don't wear it in the water, be careful even washing your hands.

See if any of your local watchsmiths are willing to work on reps and see if they will do it for you

Or...

Just take it off before you go for a swim 

black263

Quite a few reps have decent water-resistance, but it varies from individual watch to individual watch.  The only way is to have it tested.  You don't say where you live but in UK, most shopping malls have a Timpsons, and they do dry WR testing for a couple of pounds.  (My local one just asks for a donation in their charity box)  It's always worth a test before paying for someone to do WR treatment.  I am then happy getting it wet, (think rain or splashes from hand washing)but without a proper wet test, which is not so readily available, I still wouldn't swim with one.  

black263
2 hours ago, Taimaru said:

No watch is waterproof, and the ISO testing prohibits the use of the term.  They are water-resistant to varying levels.  Google Water Resistant for lots of information.

BadApple

I've showered and swam with a few of my reps without an issue.

However when I go deep sea diving........

TheSav

Man, I don't even shower with my Gens! Think steam, condensation etc. Don't know why you'd want to shower with a watch anyway. 

OP I wouldn't assume that any rep is water resistant in the slightest unless you've had it tested. Even then i'd be weary as you need to remember the conditions and budget they are manufactured to. First point of call would be a watchsmith or one of the trusted tinkerers. However, for the money you are likely to pay, you'd be better off getting a cheap seiko or the like for swimming duties. 

Glaude

GenTLe
17 hours ago, Taimaru said:

Yes: 1st you need a screw-down crown and case-back watch. Then grease the gaskets (case back and crown ones) with silicon grease and close the caseback well. Finally test it at like 5 bar.

IF it passes the test then you can swim in it.

black263
12 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

Yes: 1st you need a screw-down crown and case-back watch. Then grease the gaskets (case back and crown ones) with silicon grease and close the caseback well. Finally test it at like 5 bar.

IF it passes the test then you can swim in it.

You only need a tiny amount of grease on the o-rings.  The grease does nothing whatever for water-resistance; that occurs when the o-ring is compressed between the mating surfaces.  The grease simply makes the o-ring slippery so it doesn't get deformed by the rotating metal.

Glaude
15 minutes ago, black263 said:

You only need a tiny amount of grease on the o-rings.  The grease does nothing whatever for water-resistance; that occurs when the o-ring is compressed between the mating surfaces.  The grease simply makes the o-ring slippery so it doesn't get deformed by the rotating metal.

Complete noob assumption here : grease being hydrophobic, wouldn't this provide a way better seal, hence the "waterproofing" being better ? Especially in such a tight fit ?

black263
6 hours ago, Glaude said:

Complete noob assumption here : grease being hydrophobic, wouldn't this provide a way better seal, hence the "waterproofing" being better ? Especially in such a tight fit ?

You don't grease tap washers.

henrychinaski

All my reps are waterproof

Taimaru
All my reps are waterproof

How?

Thommo82
37 minutes ago, Taimaru said:

How?

He keeps them in cryovac sealed bags 

McGilli

For the uninitiated - how is the testing done? When I want to test if somethings water proof/resistant I put it in water :) That might not work in this case.

Thommo82
1 hour ago, McGilli said:

For the uninitiated - how is the testing done? When I want to test if somethings water proof/resistant I put it in water :) That might not work in this case.

That will work, watch might not though 

Griffo

There was a chap on here who dropped his reps in a glass of water. Can’t remember who it was. Try that...

black263
2 hours ago, McGilli said:

http://watchmakingblog.com/2008/05/12/water-tests-explained/  

Glaude
10 hours ago, black263 said:

You don't grease tap washers.

I was refereing to this : 

You only need a tiny amount of grease on the o-rings.  The grease does nothing whatever for water-resistance

and this : 

Then grease the gaskets (case back and crown ones) with silicon grease and close the caseback well

The hydrophobic propriety of grease isn't useful there ?

Majwilliams0308

I get worried giving my kids a bath with a rep on - one Rolex rep got condensation inside just from me putting my watch underwater.  As a rule now, I just make sure I only use the reps that have been waterproof tested.  Most, if not all, can withstand washing hands or light rain, but beyond that, I wouldn't trust them.

andyboy

Not a review. Moved to General Discussion.