McGilli

Is it normal pay duty/tax/fees upon delivery of our reps?

McGilli

I'm only asking because I've actually never seen anyone mention that when their reps arrived - they had to pay duty/tax/fees on the delivery to the courier.

DHL just delivered my package and I needed to pay some money on delivery. Only $20 and that's not a problem (I'm thankful they made it here!), but it just caught me by surprise and I had to go back upstairs and get money for the guy to release it.

BadPickle

Yes 

as much as 42gbp, DHL are the worst, I always insist on HK post in an attempt to go under the radar 

Glaude

Under what name/reason they ask it ? Duty, tax, fees OK but is there any more specific wording used or written down on something ?

black263

DHL are renowned for this.  They collect the duty for HMRC, and get a payment of about £8 processing charge.  Even if it's only a tiny amount of duty, they get their charge, so are very keen on collecting.

McGilli

Ha ok! 

Yeah looks like $15 in fees by DHL and $5 in duty/tax.

Well it did arrive in only 40 hours from Hong Kong to my door in western Canada so I'll consider it a speedy delivery fee. Thanks for the replies 

deju

Yeah DHL are always about £30, let’s be honest Couriers and customs would rather get their cut than seize. 

Glaude

Was there a commercial value, bill or some sort of price mention in or on the package put by the TD ?

In my country that the way you can fight the duty/tax required by some premium delivery service like DHL

But for you, 40 hours from HK to Western Canada, yeah you can call that quick ! Enjoy friend !

Genius

Same here always had to pay with DHL that's why  I do the same as pickle and choose airmail or epacket

G_sus

Parcelforce always get me when ordering from Puretime :(

About £25 a parcel - All starts to add up per Rep...I've never been charged via m2m, which tips the balance in its favour most times now

Beetleything

Crazy - they are collecting duty on cough cough knockoffs :bitch:

MetalMickey

I've never had a DHL charge from a rep, but have had post delivery charges added by other couriers. I now ask for HK post or even slow China Post and everything goes under the radar

McGilli

Am I reading this correctly? The declared value is $22CAD and I ended up paying $19.37 in tax/fees?

f35ekj.jpg

paccbet

I never had this problem when I was living in Asia. DHL was my preferred courier.  Started using EMS when I relocated to Canada.

narikaa

Apart from the unholy alliance between couriers and customs

other considerations 

are

poorly declared contents and value

and the fact that the darling couriers roll up their pricey charges into the customs value of the the goods within

Genius
8 hours ago, McGilli said:

Am I reading this correctly? The declared value is $22CAD and I ended up paying $19.37 in tax/fees?

f35ekj.jpg

It's only $3.88 in duty/tax the other $14.75 is in courier fees, basically what they charge to rape you.

Some couriers (not 100% sure which off the top of my head but I think maybe DHL is one of them) will let you set up an account so you can pay the taxes and fees by direct debit and doing this means you get a cheaper price for the fees

Mr_B

It's normally just the handling fees and duty on 'x' amount stated 

Harry_Worth
10 hours ago, McGilli said:

I'm only asking because I've actually never seen anyone mention that when their reps arrived - they had to pay duty/tax/fees on the delivery to the courier.

DHL just delivered my package and I needed to pay some money on delivery. Only $20 and that's not a problem (I'm thankful they made it here!), but it just caught me by surprise and I had to go back upstairs and get money for the guy to release it.

UK Customs will also impound if an item appears to have been deliberately undervalued to avoid import duties. Happened to my wife importing beauty products from the States - she had to produce credit card statements to pay the correct amount of duty and get the goods released. I can see where this might get you if  Customs think the contents of a parcel looks like a gen watch worth more than they earn in a year.  And of course, they may be perverse, knowing full well it's a rep but value as the real thing!!!!!

BadPickle
8 hours ago, McGilli said:

f35ekj.jpg

You could always refuse to pay,tell them the goods are of a value below your countries import taxation threshold as stated on the customs declaration. 

Then proceed to show them the invoice for the goods, and the goods, thus proving in fact you shouldn’t be charged this ludicrously high import fee......... 

let us know how you get on with that please :D 

black263
1 hour ago, pickledbeetroot said:

You could always refuse to pay,tell them the goods are of a value below your countries import taxation threshold as stated on the customs declaration. 

Then proceed to show them the invoice for the goods, and the goods, thus proving in fact you shouldn’t be charged this ludicrously high import fee......... 

let us know how you get on with that please :D 

Problem with number one is that the shipping charges are included in the total cost.  For most shipping from China, that already exceeds the tax threshold.  But as Pickle so rightly points out, since the watch is a counterfeit, imported illegally, you can always complain that they should never have charged for it. but should have simply seized it instead.  

McGilli
15 hours ago, pickledbeetroot said:

Then proceed to show them the invoice for the goods, and the goods, thus proving in fact you shouldn’t be charged this ludicrously high import fee......... let us know how you get on with that please :D 

14 hours ago, black263 said:

But as Pickle so rightly points out, since the watch is a counterfeit, imported illegally, you can always complain that they should never have charged for it. but should have simply seized it instead.  

Ha! Man this is planet Earth - There has to be somebody that has done that before! That's about as fun as a drug dealer throwing his stash to the ground to get away from the police - then the next day going to claim it from the  'lost & found' at the police station. Haha as I said - happy I just received them at all :) 

Hinclimincli

Funny enough, just came to this thread now because my last order from Puretime seems to have ended up being shipped via EMS and Parcelforce is picking it up from the UK side. I never had any of these charges when using DHL or Royal Mail but I had a charge when using Parcelforce for a vintage watch I bought from eBay. So I'm a bit pissed off because I don't understand why wouldn't they use DHL for UK when it's always been pretty fast and reliable. Fingers crossed, I'll keep you guys posted anyway.