Thommo82

Cheap(?) vintage 1940’s IWC

Thommo82

Hey guys, found this on eBay just now, 15 hours left....

https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/IWC-International-Watch-Co-17-Jewel-Winding-Vintage-35mm-Full-Size-Swiss-Watch/162770797440?hash=item25e5e54380:g:sEkAAOSwi8xaFrfE

Everything looks legit to me, at a current price I can’t believe. I just wouldn’t get any use out of this as it’s too small. 

Hoping someone here might get themselves a bargain 

Moondustesp

Hmmmmmmm :notworthy: Do it

GC

RussP
45 minutes ago, GC said:

Unfortunately, I no longer have an active EBay account.

I've given them and their shady associate (PP) the flick earlier this month.

Good riddance.

Thommo82
2 minutes ago, RussP said:

Good riddance.

But you must buy this....

8_F66_E47_E-_DE9_B-466_E-853_D-_E3_F8333[/img]

RussP

Why ?

ShovelnTC

There are some very cheap early swiss watches from many of the known makers getting around but they just don't pull big prices as they were not regarded as "Luxury" watches at the time.

And Russ I am likely to go the same way as far as Ebay and PP go as PP have limited my account after years of using it due to the fact that they have just "noticed" that my account isn't verified and want a swag of personal info to remove the limitations,  And that ain't going to happen.

Thommo82
26 minutes ago, ShovelnTC said:

There are some very cheap early swiss watches from many of the known makers getting around but they just don't pull big prices as they were not regarded as "Luxury" watches at the time.

And Russ I am likely to go the same way as far as Ebay and PP go as PP have limited my account after years of using it due to the fact that they have just "noticed" that my account isn't verified and want a swag of personal info to remove the limitations,  And that ain't going to happen.

I’ve had a few issues with PP too, I had to get rather stern with them to reactivate my account

ShovelnTC
29 minutes ago, Thommo82 said:

I’ve had a few issues with PP too, I had to get rather stern with them to reactivate my account

Mate I have had my account for many years and all of a sudden they tell me that as my account balance was nearing $1000 (it actualy only had $400 in it) that it was a statutory requirement that my account be verified and to do that they need to have all my personal info (the same info required to open a legitimate bank account).

The info is uploaded to a third party verification company so when I investigated that company a bunch of stuff came up about their database having been hacked and thousands of peoples info stolen.

So as if I am going to give these snoozers any of my info so I tell this to PP and they blankly tell me that the limitations will not be lifted until my info has been submitted.

So looks like I'll be saying goodbye to PP.

Not really much of a loss as the fees of Ebay and PP together pretty much add up to 20% of the sell price anyway so not really worth selling on ebay anymore and plenty of other payment options these days.

Thommo82
22 minutes ago, ShovelnTC said:

Mate I have had my account for many years and all of a sudden they tell me that as my account balance was nearing $1000 (it actualy only had $400 in it) that it was a statutory requirement that my account be verified and to do that they need to have all my personal info (the same info required to open a legitimate bank account).

The info is uploaded to a third party verification company so when I investigated that company a bunch of stuff came up about their database having been hacked and thousands of peoples info stolen.

So as if I am going to give these snoozers any of my info so I tell this to PP and they blankly tell me that the limitations will not be lifted until my info has been submitted.

So looks like I'll be saying goodbye to PP.

Not really much of a loss as the fees of Ebay and PP together pretty much add up to 20% of the sell price anyway so not really worth selling on ebay anymore and plenty of other payment options these days.

That really does suck, especially as you are along time PP user. 

I’ve only ever bought on eBay, never been a seller, but I’ve heard the fees are a little silly. I stick to Gumtree when I want to sell

ShovelnTC
28 minutes ago, Thommo82 said:

That really does suck, especially as you are along time PP user. 

I’ve only ever bought on eBay, never been a seller, but I’ve heard the fees are a little silly. I stick to Gumtree when I want to sell

Mate the level of conglomerate conceitedness is astounding, Just to be able to list on ebay now you have to authorize direct debit to them so they can suck out your ebay selling/listing fees and their UN-changable limit (the max amount they can take out of your account) is get this...........$375,000 per month, and their conditions basically makes it a legal right so if some stupid computer makes a mistake and  they charge you a swag of fees it's going to take a very expensive lawyer to get you out of it all for the sake of some ebay fees which for me is never more than $20 a month.

Just waiting to finalise my last sale and then it's close the accounts.

Thommo82
10 minutes ago, ShovelnTC said:

Mate the level of conglomerate conceitedness is astounding, Just to be able to list on ebay now you have to authorize direct debit to them so they can suck out your ebay selling/listing fees and their UN-changable limit (the max amount they can take out of your account) is get this...........$375,000 per month, and their conditions basically makes it a legal right so if some stupid computer makes a mistake and  they charge you a swag of fees it's going to take a very expensive lawyer to get you out of it all for the sake of some ebay fees which for me is never more than $20 a month.

Just waiting to finalise my last sale and then it's close the accounts.

$375,000.......

Thats like 5 years wages for me

Bjorns

Very decent price, little tempted 

GC
9 hours ago, RussP said:

Good riddance.

Sorry fella, when I saw it I immediately thought of you, no harm no foul ;)

RussP

Thanks for your thoughtfulness, GC.

If I hadn't given both the afore-mentioned conglomerates the old heave-ho, I'd probably have bid on that watch.

Thommo82

Watch sold for $388 AUD

tonyh7

That IWC looks ok, but EBay is a nightmare for vintage pieces. There are tons of them, and a lot of them are iffy. There are lots of vintage Seiko's which are from India and are anything but vintage. But they are dead cheap so hey ho. Then there are  lots of at best frankens which probably come from India too, but are represented as gens. You can spot them because the condition is too good, A 60 year old watch does not have a scratch free case. I was looking for a Smiths watch there recently, and just gave up in the end. I found one which was plausible and at a reasonable price, and lots of buy me now pristine fakes.

Thommo82
18 minutes ago, tonyh7 said:

That IWC looks ok, but EBay is a nightmare for vintage pieces. There are tons of them, and a lot of them are iffy. There are lots of vintage Seiko's which are from India and are anything but vintage. But they are dead cheap so hey ho. Then there are  lots of at best frankens which probably come from India too, but are represented as gens. You can spot them because the condition is too good, A 60 year old watch does not have a scratch free case. I was looking for a Smiths watch there recently, and just gave up in the end. I found one which was plausible and at a reasonable price, and lots of buy me now pristine fakes.

I fell victim to one of those Indian Seikos when I first started this hobby. Thought I’d found an absolute bargain. Doesn’t even have a Seiko movement, has an Allwyn movement. Keeps fantastic time though, calibrated it myself and fucking nailed it!

Wont order anything from India ever again....

RussP

Indian watch sellers are mostly dodgy.

One of them is the reason for me cancelling my EBay and PayPal account(s).

Purchased a Vintage Tresser Swiss Watch via auction.

65 days later, nothing arrived.

Lodged a PP dispute and lo and behold, I receive this vintage Titus in the mail. 37251728664_ae1bb5f237_b.jpg

Looks nothing like what I purchased and PP weren't interested in being fair, so I just thought.............you can all go and get stuffed.

Thommo82
11 minutes ago, RussP said:

Indian watch sellers are mostly dodgy.

One of them is the reason for me cancelling my EBay and PayPal account(s).

Purchased a Vintage Tresser Swiss Watch via auction.

65 days later, nothing arrived.

Lodged a PP dispute and lo and behold, I receive this vintage Titus in the mail. 37251728664_ae1bb5f237_b.jpg

Looks nothing like what I purchased and PP weren't interested in being fair, so I just thought.............you can all go and get stuffed.

Redial with a new case?

Did it have a Titus movement? Or at least a Swiss movement?