McGilli

McGilli's Rolex Explorer II Pro Hunter Stealth Review

McGilli

ONE MONTH UPDATE:

Over the past month, the Rolex Explorer II has become my 'go to' watch. I've also found myself wearing my Seiko SNJ009 often (I hadn't worn it in about 5 years). I think it's the form of this watch which has awoken that watch from my past. To my eyes, the Rolex just looks really sexy. The black dial, and the PVD case are black - like - really, really black. With the white lumen and hands - and the orange/red GMT hand and lettering on the dial I just want to wear this a lot. It goes with anything I wear. Jean and t-shirt, or a suit of any colour.

It's my first watch with a cyclops and I love it! The magnification is perfect since these days I need reading glasses for small text. The smooth action on the seconds hand is superb to see. The band has been solid. No more loose screws since using the Loc-Tite.

I think the size is most appealing. It's 42mm. I'd love to see it in a 44mm option - but I have a feeling the 42mm is just right for me.

In closing - If I come into a million dollars in the next year - I feel I would buy a genuine of this watch. This could be my go to watch for a long, long time.

Happy Holidays!

qn1xsp.jpg

roberto

Good to hear the update and that you're still pleased. 

On the back of your review I went ahead and ordered.  It has just arrived and I'm very, very pleased.. :D

ReignInKL

Great watch and the review made me want to acquire one. How has the PVD handled the day-to-day wear? 

Any photos to date?

maxmix

Love the watch and review :)

maxmix

McGilli
On 2017-12-29 at 07:11, roberto said:

Good to hear the update and that you're still pleased. 

On the back of your review I went ahead and ordered.  It has just arrived and I'm very, very pleased.. :D

ALMOST 6 MONTHS LATER - HOW'S IT HOLDING UP FOR YOU? hhah sorry for the CAPS/... Mine's help up perfectly - not getting a tonne of wrist time - but I consider it still to be money well spent.

On 2018-04-23 at 10:58, ReignInKL said:

Great watch and the review made me want to acquire one. How has the PVD handled the day-to-day wear? 

Any photos to date?

Sorry for the late reply. If you're still around - it still looks as new as the day I got it - but - as mentioned I don't wear it daily - and in fact the last few months it only gets worn a few days a month due to the increased size of my collection. Still, totally worth it!

On 2018-06-13 at 11:15, maxmix said:

Love the watch and review :)

maxmix

Thanks. All my reviews seemed to go downhill after this one so, glad you enjoyed it!

ReignInKL

Thanks. All my reviews seemed to go downhill after this one so, glad you enjoyed it!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Bencolem

Great review and pictures. How is the black holding up now? Any fade or still like new?

roberto
On 15/06/2018 at 05:39, McGilli said:

ALMOST 6 MONTHS LATER - HOW'S IT HOLDING UP FOR YOU? hhah sorry for the CAPS/... Mine's help up perfectly - not getting a tonne of wrist time - but I consider it still to be money well spent.

A very late reply from me, but I've been on the road for two months and took this one with me.  Holding up very well!!!

Retrouk

Just seen this post, I really like the black steel watches but really unsure on how the black will hold up with day to day use even with genuine watches. Has any one had one of these for 3 years +?

roberto

I couldn't tell you about 3 years worth of wear.  I wear it once every few weeks maybe on rotation.  It did come with me on a two month trip, worn about 50% of the time, biking across the balkans, Eastern Europe and Turkey where it held up well- no marks.

Retrouk

I’ve watched a few YouTube videos of PVD vs DLC coatings and both look really impressive when the guys were intentionally trying to damage it. 

Evelyngunarso

Wow great review!! Thanks for that.:Applause:

McGilli
30 minutes ago, Evelyngunarso said:

Wow great review!! Thanks for that.:Applause:

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. 

:)

judas9r

I love this forum, I learn so much cool stuff. I'm off to the shed to prize the back off an old watch. Great tip with the app too. Great review, many thanks.

McGilli
27 minutes ago, judas9r said:

I love this forum, I learn so much cool stuff. I'm off to the shed to prize the back off an old watch. Great tip with the app too. Great review, many thanks.

For sure!

I still use that very same app for all my watches. I haven't needed to freeze any of my case backs since this one :) But - always a handy trick! Thanks for reading.

ape

Well I never even considered a Black PVD watch, possibly still don't, but if I was going to this one is a nice example. Great review, I like how you built up the suspense with opening the case back. I don't plan on ever using a UV light anywhere, especially hotels. Ignorance is bliss and all. Anyway, great review, enjoyed reading it and the updates. 

McGilli
13 minutes ago, ape said:

I don't plan on ever using a UV light anywhere, especially hotels.

Note to self: "Next review, rent a room at the sleaziest 1 hour motel in the middle of hooker town to take the photos for my watch. Bring the UV light."

Done. Thanks!

ape
38 minutes ago, McGilli said:

Note to self: "Next review, rent a room at the sleaziest 1 hour motel in the middle of hooker town to take the photos for my watch. Bring the UV light."

Done. Thanks!

You know...you are absolutely right. Hahahaha

Mike R

Hello @McGilli ,    :tease:

I was roaming through the threads in came across your review. Very good review. It’s interesting to note your style changes that have occurred in the last year. From conventional “in the box “ so to speak to Hilariously entertaining out of the box, crazy.   I enjoy both styles but found a ladder much more entertaining. 

Another thing I found interesting in this review was the when you questioned the movement not being as advertised   Not one post or opinion ether way.  I understand the fact that it’s not Mary’s fault. But still you received a not as advertised product. I’m curious did you ever bring it to her attention?  And how about a weight in from other members? Should a situation like that even be brought to a TD’s attention ?

And lastly, I hear you’re looking for volunteers to be in your next review. I’ll throw my hat in the ring , so to speak. However if it gets a little crazy and there’s anything to kinky going on, make sure I’m on the giving end and not do receive end, :rofl:  

TTYL

McGilli
21 hours ago, Mike R said:

Hello @McGilli ,    :tease:

I was roaming through the threads in came across your review. Very good review. It’s interesting to note your style changes that have occurred in the last year. From conventional “in the box “ so to speak to Hilariously entertaining out of the box, crazy.   I enjoy both styles but found a ladder much more entertaining. 

Another thing I found interesting in this review was the when you questioned the movement not being as advertised   Not one post or opinion ether way.  I understand the fact that it’s not Mary’s fault. But still you received a not as advertised product. I’m curious did you ever bring it to her attention?  And how about a weight in from other members? Should a situation like that even be brought to a TD’s attention ?

And lastly, I hear you’re looking for volunteers to be in your next review. I’ll throw my hat in the ring , so to speak. However if it gets a little crazy and there’s anything to kinky going on, make sure I’m on the giving end and not do receive end, :rofl:  

TTYL

Hey!

Thanks for the good words. Funny enough, a few weeks ago I went back and I read this review for the first time is quite a while. And wow - I was surprised at how....  well.... Let's say I agree that I prefer my newer reviews. Personal taste.

With the movement. I remember it well. Yeah, I asked Mary to confirm before shipping - but she said she could not open the back to check. I was able to open it though. Ultimately it didn't go any farther than that. I believe I got what I my money's worth. I think it's a fantastic watch.

If it had an open case back I would have pursued it I believe. But, no - I'm happy. I've ordered from her since, and no issues.

Volunteering for my reviews is something I encourage everyone to do. It looks on a resume when you apply for jobs, cuz u can list me as a reference and it's obviously impressive to places like all the fortune 500 companies to hear you worked with me.

I'll be in touch :)  (through PM, not physically)

lok214

thats a cool watch! kudo for the post