Sign in to follow this  
NDJ

Sub glidelock bracelet - will it fit older subs?

Genius

Never tried a full bracelet but I know a glidelock clasp will fit and old style bracelet

Actually what am I talking about I do have a 5 digit sub with a new bracelet but the fit at the lugs isn't perfect

JSJ

I'd say it's just luck. There seems to be little standardisation of end links and lug holes. I've sometimes managed to adjust the fit with different diameter spring bars and a bit of bending.

NDJ

Thanks. My other question is would it be worth upgrading? I'm sure a genuine Rolex glidelock bracelet is engineered and built to last, but will a replica be good enough to warrant the expense and hassle? Seems like this clasp has a lot of little parts and a complex design.

Kernow

I’d try it with the rep first. A gen Rolex clasp is a few $$$. If the rep one breaks then consider upgrading. 

JSJ

Agreed. The rep bracelets can be fine.

In principle, though, I have several reps where the gen strap or bracelet cost more than the watch.

Also, if you know the market, wait and buy well second hand, the gen bracelet will keep its value.

The fit really will be a lottery though. What would you do with the gen bracelet if it didn't fit?

NDJ

Ha! A genuine bracelet is $2000, so it'll be a rep bracelet or nothing! 

I did buy a jubilee rep bracelet for a turnograph and that fitted my GMTII perfectly so hoping for similar luck here.

NDJ

Obviously there are a number of Submariner C replicas out there;  does anybody know which of these manufacturers has the best glidelock bracelet so I can ask a TD to supply me that one?

gmchris

I'm gonna miss my glidelock clasp when I flip my Explorer ll - just not wearing it anymore - but I'd like to have a generic unbranded glidelock for fitting on some other reps with leather straps. 

Are generic glidelock style clasps available anywhere?