_DC_

Modding my RM055 Bubba Watson

_DC_

Ok so it's not much of a mod, but it bugs me that the gen is white all over, but the rep has a steel mid-case...

IMG_9196.jpg

IMG_9197.jpg

So I decided to attempt a spray job on it!!

First job, dismantle the watch. I recently bought the special screwdriver to undo the RM style spline screws. It was a little tricky, and I was surprised to find that the front and back movement decoration plates are in fact held in place with spline screws too which was a little fiddly, but necessary as I couldn't access the crown release button without removing them!

IMG_9368.jpg

Once dissected I needed to mask up the mid case. Had plenty of frog tape left over from a recent bit of interior decorating so this worked a treat...

IMG_9369.jpg

IMG_9370.jpg

IMG_9372.jpg

Then a little fine sand paper to remove the polished bevels and give the spray paint a good key...

IMG_9373.jpg

... before hunting around the house to find a suitable object to mount it on for spraying.

Of course the DC household consumes plenty of champagne, and this old champagne bottle provided the perfect mounting point...

IMG_9375.jpg

Then it was out to the garden for several thin coats, allowing each to dry between coats, to get a nice even coverage.

I couldn't figure out how to photograph that bit without getting my phone all speckled with white paint so you'll have to use your imagination. But after about four or five dusted coats this was the result...

IMG_9377.jpg

It came out better than I expected honestly. A lovely matte finish with no orange peel or running/dripping. Time to put her back together. The movement decoration plates were very tricky to put back on, the spine screws on front and back effectively screw into one another, and I only have one spline screwdriver, so I had to insert the ones on one side, secure them in place with frog tape, then put in the ones from the other side. Thankfully the crown goes back in without having to re-access the button, so I could do all this re-assembly outside of the watch case. Phew!

Movement back in case...

IMG_9378.jpg

Crown re-inserted...

IMG_9379.jpg

Caseback first, interestingly only four of the caseback screws are real, the rest are all glued into place, but I guess that's enough to tighten it against the case with a rubber gasket in between ...

IMG_9381.jpg

The bezel meanwhile doesn't have a gasket, the crystal is bonded directly to the mid-case (as you can see in the earlier photos) so no need for one. As a result only two of the screws on the bezel are real and the other six are glued into place. I decided while I had the screws out to give them a sand just to remove the chrome finish and dull them down a little. Still not as dark as I'd like but less blingy!!

IMG_9382.jpg

IMG_9383.jpg

Once the strap was back on it was time for a test drive and a few pics...

IMG_9385.jpg

IMG_9386.jpg

Overall very happy with the result, and was only a few hours work!!

IMG_9387.jpg

Before and after...

IMG_9393.jpg

DC

NCRich

Nice mod.  I would have been looking for the screws after I dropped them.

Glaude

Nice paint job indeed ! 

Well done and thanks for sharing !

Foxindebox

Very nice Dave :clap:

McGilli

Thanks for sharing that. Love giving things a new life with a few cents worth of supplies!

How much did the watch cost you when yo bought it?

TrappedInTime

Mod city! I appreciate this one great job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GenTLe

Great job mate! I like it!! :)

_DC_
3 hours ago, McGilli said:

Thanks for sharing that. Love giving things a new life with a few cents worth of supplies!

How much did the watch cost you when yo bought it?

It was $258 from Kuvarsit, great watch for the price IMO. There's a new version just released (although not in white seemingly) which has better movement deco for $428 so that makes this look a bargain!

DC

Moondustesp

Nice work

deju

Done a good job! Wish I could pull these off I like the designs the more I see them on Instagram 

_DC_
6 hours ago, NCRich said:

Nice mod.  I would have been looking for the screws after I dropped them.

Neat trick for that, used an old Strepsils blister packet, each lozenge blister for a different set of screws (bezel, caseback, strap, movement) with masking tape to close them and write on what the blister contains!!

DC

Genius

Nice little upgrade there!

Just double check that bottom left screw looks like it is ready to do a runner

IMG_9386.jpg&key=0969304bc3b9f5e4966f568

_DC_
8 hours ago, Genius said:

Nice little upgrade there!

Just double check that bottom left screw looks like it is ready to do a runner

IMG_9386.jpg&key=0969304bc3b9f5e4966f568

Yeah I thought that, but that's as tight as he will go, no idea why. He ain't coming out though, was like that before the mod and was a pain in the arse to remove so I'm confident he'll stay put!

DC

Mr_B

Good job DC ! 

TheSav

Nice work! Dont think i could pull that off but it looks good. 

merlix

Wery good Job.