pmaxcslt

904L Reps are coming any news on some new ones?

pmaxcslt

ARF has three models to my knowlege ... Daytona, Deepsea, and DJ 36. Has anyone seen anything new come out or heard any strong rumors of 904L reps to be released. I am waiting for a few specific models to be released in 904L and would love to see some other choices from different factorys.

BadPickle

What’s the difference? I don’t mean the science stuff, I mean from an end user point of view?  316 seems to have been good enough up to now 

deju
1 minute ago, pickledbeetroot said:

What’s the difference? I don’t mean the science stuff, I mean from an end user point of view?  316 seems to have been good enough up to now 

Hard to explain, probably the luster and the way it catches the light.

I think the only factories that are using 904l is ARF and noobs up coming Daytona. 

Op you’re just being a greedy fuck :lmao:  2016 we all litterally thought the use of 904l was impossible.

If you want other models maybe support the sales of the current ones available. If they don’t sell better then why waste time working with a steel that is harder to work with than 316!

tabuktime
8 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

Found this article that refers to caseback thread degradation from prolonged saltwater exposure. Not sure of its provenance or veracity however.

pmaxcslt

Like I said in another post... I think it has a more satiny look to it. But their just isn't much on them. I personally feel if you are trying to make excellent reps and you can use the same materials as GEN do it.  It takes the rep just one step closer to gen. I started this thread to get other peoples take on it and the ARF new selling feature which many people are saying that it is setting the bar a little higher for the other rep makers like NOOB and BP. Plus NOOB has been dropping rumors for a while the V8 sub was to be made of 904L

tabuktime

Is this a review?

:ttiwwop:

deju

Noob will be using 904l but their main focus looks to be a working clone movement for the Daytona. 

In a time where reps are getting more costly, using 904l is an expensive process and a lot harder to work with. If you can do it you should, is not a viable business model. 

1:1 OCD only exists on the rep forums, the mass market doesn’t give a shit really. 

stevok2305

Personally I cant see the point in shelling out the extra for a 904l rep when 99.9% of the world don't give a toss WHAT watch you're wearing, let alone if it's a rep or not. 

Glaude
4 hours ago, pmaxcslt said:

Like I said in another post... I think it has a more satiny look to it. But their just isn't much on them. I personally feel if you are trying to make excellent reps and you can use the same materials as GEN do it.  It takes the rep just one step closer to gen. I started this thread to get other peoples take on it and the ARF new selling feature which many people are saying that it is setting the bar a little higher for the other rep makers like NOOB and BP. Plus NOOB has been dropping rumors for a while the V8 sub was to be made of 904L

Much on them ? You do your googling the same way you join a board ?

Took me less than 10 seconds to find everything about 904L even in comparison with 316L :

https://www.precisionwatches.com/rolex-904l-steel/
https://www.finishing.com/197/23.shtml
https://forum.replica-watch.info/threads/ss-316l-vs-316f-vs-904l-the-final-verdict-a-technical-study.82263/

The end story is :  better result for the end product (But I bet without having the two steel to compare you couldn't tell) ; Better acidic corrosion resistance ; Better overall strength (called "marine grade")

black263

Does it matter which steel is used.  They both say Rolex, so that's me out.

trailboss99

It's impossible to tell the difference (trust me on this, we did a blind test several years ago) so unless you are planning on leaving your watch under water for a year or exposing it to some very nasty acids it's a moot point. 904L is a marketing ploy by Rolex and so it shall be with rep makers.

Glaude
14 minutes ago, black263 said:

Does it matter which steel is used.  They both say Rolex, so that's me out.

For me, I could be done in 4840 or 1050 or any tool steel I wouldn't care much, as you say, if the look is okay it's not made from tinfoil I'm OK with it.

cbrian26wvu

So, am I right in assuming that the only benefit to 904 steel is saltwater and acid erosion? I mean, why do I care if it's 904 and immune to saltwater if I am apprehensive to even get in the shower with it! I'd much rather them work on a fully functional chrono Daytona movement and iron out the shorts later! But that's just me

FL13

I've been out of the Rep game for a long time, but if they make an accurate, functioning Daytona Movement clone, I'm getting one.

Now are we talking Zenith or Rolex in house?

tonyh7

The higher grade steel is more resistant to marine corrosion. Only really an issue if you spend serious time in the sea every day for a long long period. Give that you're taking a chance with most reps if you wash your hand with them on, I just don't see the point. 

Glaude
6 minutes ago, cbrian26wvu said:

So, am I right in assuming that the only benefit to 904 steel is saltwater and acid erosion? I mean, why do I care if it's 904 and immune to saltwater if I am apprehensive to even get in the shower with it! I'd much rather them work on a fully functional chrono Daytona movement and iron out the shorts later! But that's just me

316L will go in salt water just fine don't forget like anything else, to rinse it with clear water before send it to the watchmaker to dry and repair ;) . It's just that if you leave two watches in salt water for 15 years into the water the 316L will not be easy to list on eBay than the 904L ... and I'm not even sure about it... 

cbrian26wvu
16 minutes ago, Glaude said:

316L will go in salt water just fine don't forget like anything else, to rinse it with clear water before send it to the watchmaker to dry and repair ;) . It's just that if you leave two watches in salt water for 15 years into the water the 316L will not be easy to list on eBay than the 904L ... and I'm not even sure about it... 

LOL! It just doesn't even make sense to invest more $$$ in a "more waterproof" bracelet when the inner workings will all go to shite afterwards! As I said, let's concentrate on fixing up a bulletproof Daytona movement! Now that something I would invest a little more money into!

FoxWilde

Let’s focus on a good Daytona that’s not a full 2mm thicker than gen. I wouldn’t care if my sub rep is more salt water resistant since most reps are not (or very) water resistant!