berns

Reps speeding up after a few days of wearing

berns

I've got two reps from the same dealer (that look great), but I have an issue with them speeding up after I wear them for more than a few days in a row. Is this a common issue with the movement or type of watch? Below are the watches and movements contained within each.

Rolex Day Date II (41mm), Nickle Plated Asian Clone (Rolex 3156) Automatic Movement, 25J, 28800bph - speeds up after about 3 days, but just a few minutes

Tag Heuer Carrera Chrono, Asia 7750 Valjoux Working Chronograph movement, 28800bph,  Perforated Insignia Engraving on Rotor, Functional Regulator - speeds up after about 3 days, needs to be reset a few times a day after

Griffo

Watches with automatic movements, whether genuine or replica, will always gradually run faster or slower. Completely normal!

RussP

The solution would be to take them to a rep-friendly watch smith and have them regulated.

It shouldn't cost very much at all.

GenTLe

Take care: if you go near magnetic fields (sometimes even a microwave oven is enough) they can get magnetized and start to run... Typically if from one day to another they get +30s/d that's the cause...

See here: http://wornandwound.com/watches-and-magnetization/

raxford

If it is magnetized it's not a huge deal

How to Demagnetize a Mechanical Watch (Seiko Orange Monster ...

berns

Thanks for the input! I'll see if it's magnetized first and go from there.

wobble44

I think I need one of these for my sub

dirkhunt

Use a compass to check if your watch has been effected.

NDJ

I have found the same with some of my Chinese clone movement replicas. They can keep time very well and then suddenly they speed up. They revert back to normal after demagnetising them but also revert back by themselves if I don't. (Apparently watches can demagnetise by themselves gradually)

I think the Chinese eta clones vary in quality and are often put together with whatever alloys are available. Clearly sometimes antimagnetic alloys aren't used for the mainsprings. I find that using electric power tools can magnetise watches due to the powerful magnetic fields generated. And my phone has a magnet in its flip open case so if I put my watch in my gym bag next to my phone - bang - it's magnetised. 

Having said that, some of my clone movement watches never have a problem with magnetisation, so it's very much a case of hit or miss in this regard.