McGilli

6497 - Seconds running backwards/stopped

McGilli

Hi everyone.

Rather than wake a thread from 7 years ago that only had 1 reply, I thought I'd make a new one to see if anyone here these days has any input on this.

Simply, on my PAM 177, when setting the time, if I roll the crown back a touch, the seconds hand will stop, and if I roll it back a touch more (to make the minute hand move backwards) then the seconds will start ticking backwards. I noticed this when setting the time and just wanted to move the minute back hand a bit. It starts running normal when rotate the crown clockwise.

Simply, is this normal behaviour for this movement? Should it be avoided by always running the hands forward and not back when setting time?

Glaude

Free bump for your interesting question my friend.

(The word interesting is used as : interesting for total noob like us)

Jibuti

cannot say about Asian but on 4 of my ETAs 6497-tried just now-story seems the same.... nothing wrong, me think...

GenTLe

Nothing to worry about: there is no "hacking" on that movement, so if the charge of it is low (=low tension of the mainspring) it can happen because the cannon pinion friction when you regulate the time gives more power than the mainspring to the train gears.

McGilli
On 12/3/2017 at 11:32, GenTLe said:

Nothing to worry about: there is no "hacking" on that movement, so if the charge of it is low (=low tension of the mainspring) it can happen because the cannon pinion friction when you regulate the time gives more power than the mainspring to the train gears.

Superb! Thanks so much. Aside from pocket watches thi is my first hand wind watch ever so just needed to be sure.. Thought my eyes were playing tricks when I saw it going backwards.

All good now! thanks all!

Xpletiv

Sometimes I'd rather have it run backwards....

McGilli
8 hours ago, Xpletiv said:

Sometimes I'd rather have it run backwards....

Every morning when my alarm goes off I hope for the same thing :)

TheTinMan

How far back does it go? I'll buy it if it will take me back to 1999. There are a few investments I'd like to have made when I had disposable income. 

edwinowl
3 hours ago, TheTinMan said:

How far back does it go? I'll buy it if it will take me back to 1999. There are a few investments I'd like to have made when I had disposable income. 

:Applause: love it. 

numero2

Never seen a 64xx running second hands backwards, even if the mainsping is low charged.

JSJ

This is normal behaviour. Can be used to set the seconds on a non-hacking watches if you are that way inclined.

ieweey

Sorry if I seem to be hijacking your thread a little...

I have the gen Tag Heuer Carrera 02T tourbillon (automatic)- and the tourbillon carriage does exactly that when I wind the time backwards! Just wondering if that's normal for a tourillon...

Mod1217

I have noticed that in almost all of my Seiko non-hacking movement, and also with my vintage Omega Geneve Dynamic watch, so far I haven't seen any ill effect on any of them provided I never let it ran backward for more than a few seconds.