klt11

Gen Rolex opportunity

klt11

Hey guys,

been on the forum for a couple of years now, been somewhat inactive as of late. Since graduating from uni and starting full time work in an engineering work, ive had a bit of a lifestyle change. Anyway while working i met a client who noticed my rep of my  116500LN. Asking me how long ive had it for etc etc, i admitted that it was in fact a rep, which he couldnt believe. i mean he noticed it from a couple of meters away but didnt closely inspect it. It turns out his wife has a very good position in a luxury company that deals with Rolex, after the conversation ended he handed me his wifes card with her details and told me to email her what watch i would like and she will be able to seek it out at a retail price no matter how long the waiting list was. So my question to you guys is what watch should i ask to purchase at retail price as a good investment. My first thought was the 2016/2017  116500LN but is there a watch that i could purchase as a good investment...that is rolex we are talking about

thanks

ShovelnTC

Mate I think we've had lots of threads asking the same question and virtually all conclude that buying a luxury item at retail is rarely going to be a good investment unless you keep it for a long time and that item happens to become popular down the track.

i came close to buying a 116610 a few years ago and had I have done it and kept it pristine I would probably be able to make a few grand on it now but only due to currency variations but I wouldn't expect to make anything if I bought one now.

Any likely increase in value will likely be less than if invested somewhere else.

It's like art, buy it if it gives you pleasure and maybe you'll make money on it or maybe not.

RussP

Buy what appeals to you.

Investment 'value' is secondary.

Just my 2c worth.

RepGuy

You could also get almost any Rolex from a grey market dealer for less than retail. I'm sure it was just the client trying to be helpful, but that's not a great deal to begin with.

klt11
7 minutes ago, RepGuy said:

You could also get almost any Rolex from a grey market dealer for less than retail. I'm sure it was just the client trying to be helpful, but that's not a great deal to begin with.

i should have stated that i will be getting a good discount

RepGuy
25 minutes ago, kosta43 said:

i should have stated that i will be getting a good discount

You specifically started that it was at retail price...

2 hours ago, kosta43 said:

So my question to you guys is what watch should i ask to purchase at retail price

ShovelnTC
12 minutes ago, RepGuy said:

Yep that's what I based my response on as well.

klt11
3 minutes ago, ShovelnTC said:

Yep that's what I based my response on as well.

16 minutes ago, RepGuy said:

you guys are right, i did state for retail. The discount is 20% off retail

klt11

spoke to my contact and we both had a nice discussion about a nice investment piece to purchase. I have concluded on a PP Nautilus 5711 which i can get my hands on without ease

Lagger

20% is a decent discount, I know people who have bought them and got no discount what so ever, one lad spent 20k on two and got £100 off! Just go with what you like not what is a financial investment, unless you are buying it to sell on

JSJ

Check the used prices at reputable dealers for the same watch. Then you can work out what your 'investment' will be worth immediately after you have parted with your cash. You should assume the second hand dealer has at least a 20% margin. Better still, contact a dealer and tell them you have a watch to sell. Then you can see just how much you will lose.

Buy what you like with money you are prepared to write off. If you can't do that, don't buy it at all. Never ever buy luxury goods on credit of any sort.

Just my philosophy. Same for cars by the way.

Glaude
9 hours ago, kosta43 said:

I have concluded on a PP Nautilus 5711 which i can get my hands on without ease

Reading your first post, I was believing you were talking only about having a good price on a Rolex only.

You were talking about an any brand watch investment from the beginning ?

deju

If you can indeed get a 116500LN at retail then it’s an investment. 

If you can skip the list and get 20% off then you have found unicorn shit and should buy 5!! 

Actually cry laughing at people saying buying at retail isn’t an investment. 

The retail on the 116500LN is like £9k .... used these go for £14-15k. 

So please tell me more about that being a bad investment?! 

JSJ
If you can indeed get a 116500LN at retail then it’s an investment. 
If you can skip the list and get 20% off then you have found unicorn shit and should buy 5!! 
Actually cry laughing at people saying buying at retail isn’t an investment. 
The retail on the 116500LN is like £9k .... used these go for £14-15k. 
So please tell me more about that being a bad investment?! 
Sounds great. Just buy 10 a month, sell them on and you'll approach a living wage.

I'm sure nobody else will have spotted this opportunity.

deju
18 minutes ago, JSJ said:

Sounds great. Just buy 10 a month, sell them on and you'll approach a living wage.

I'm sure nobody else will have spotted this opportunity.

Why stop at 10... just request them all :lol:

Piccolo

If you're buying it to flip it your client might not be best pleased...if he gets pissed you end up losing more than you made on the watch.

Buy what you like if you want to wear it - forget about the investment part.

edit - the 116500 is not really an investment, you could sell it now and make money.  In a years time there will be a newer model with more significant updates, and the waiting list will be for that, not the older one.  It will hold it's value, but there are better ways to make money unless you're in it for the long haul.

RUSH2112

These threads always make it seem like we’re taking about buying a house.  It’s just a Rolex 

Bash64

The GMT II is also a good choice as is the regular subs

RussP
16 hours ago, Glaude said:

Reading your first post, I was believing you were talking only about having a good price on a Rolex only.

You were talking about an any brand watch investment from the beginning ?

+1

Please explain what you intended in your first post.

To me it also appeared that it was a Rolex you were hankering after..............then you mention the Nautilus (what does without ease mean?).

They're priced very differently, whether new or second-hand.