greg_r

Glashutte Senator Sixties - belated review

greg_r

Ive only just realised that I forgot to review this when I bought it early in the year. It was bought as a compromise as I purchased the gen back in 2016 which, after a long wait, arrived DOA. Glashutte wanted me to send it back and wait 3-4 months for them to fix it. I declined and demanded a refund, which I got. The whole experience rather soured me on the whole idea of buying gen, so a few months later I picked up the rep, saving myself about 5 grand in the process...

The Glashutte Senator Sixties is a classic design, but until recently it hadn't been repped with any great degree of accuracy. The original rep was significantly larger than the gen - mainly because it was powered by a 6497, which wouldn't fit in a gen-sized case.

The newer reps, however, are finally the correct size. Produced by the so-called YL factory, this is powered by a Miyota 9015 and comes with one of the better rep straps I've seen. It's not quite a super-rep. The movement, whilst nicely decorated, isn't that convincing and the crystal profile is just a little off. Nothing to worry too much about, however - the dial, case and hands are well rendered and nobody that hasn't seen the gen up close would notice anything amiss.

It's a nice watch at the price. Classic, elegant and stylish. I wear it a lot - it's good enough for me not to be tempted to buy the gen again.

quick pic:

glashuttesen60s240717.jpg

Glaude

Thank you for your review Greg !
I really like Glashutte watch, but I'm not into the simple one as this one.
I would love to see a PanoMatic Lunar repped one day or the PanoMatic Counter XL !

It seems like JLC this type of watch is not the most requested.

4 hours ago, greg_r said:

saving myself about 5 grand in the process..

And you can buy a lot of rep with that saving... :p 

paccbet

Nice one Greg. I love these.

roberto

Very pretty watch.  Strap looks decent too..

FL13

Curious which TD you sourced this from?

tonyh7

Good review. I have the same watch sourced from Fat Panda. I always enjoy wearing it, and think it doesn't give a lot away to the gen, until of course you look at the back. I ordered a gen alligator strap for it, but the supplier buggered the order up, and in the end I stuck with the rep strap, which as you say isn't bad. Was that a new watch from Glahutte? If so very shabby service. 

greg_r

Yes, the gen I had briefly was brand new. Very disappointing...

GC

Stunning G! I was planning on getting a Timex Marlin, plans just changed. 

MAJ75

Without a doubt one of the classier dress watches that exist currently. I love the throwback styling & it would appear that they have done a superb job on the replication.....

Good to see a review on one of the rarer birds in the rep world................

gmchris

Forget throwback - it's becoming a very desired look again. I've always been a functional tool watch type, but I could like this alot. It oozes class.

What is it about 39mm? And does the hand tip bend or is that a trick of the crystal?

NCRich

I like this as well. Very classy.

Moondustesp

I like this alot very very nice. Enjoy it

greg_r
On 06/12/2017 at 20:12, gmchris said:

Forget throwback - it's becoming a very desired look again. I've always been a functional tool watch type, but I could like this alot. It oozes class.

What is it about 39mm? And does the hand tip bend or is that a trick of the crystal?

Yep, 39mm. The hands do have a gentle curve and crystal is domed, so there's also some distortion...

cvp3

The affordable Timex version (Marlin reissue $199 MSRP) has sold out 3 times so far every where. They've sold on eBay for over $530. It will be interesting to see what recreations and reissues stem from this phenomena. Beautiful Senator BTW. 

Timex-Marlin-Vintage-timex-mechanical-wa

myaz

I keep wanting the watches you have.:drowning:

I have great respect for the Glasshütte marque and have gone back & forth & back & forth with getting one for several years (different model)... but asking a customer that just shelled out 5K for a DOA to wait 3-4 months for a repair when the right thing to do is to overnight a new one is indicative of thumbs up your butt customer service. My yearning has been significantly doused.

cvp3

Found a few (12) on d'gate for around $160 ish claiming Miyota movement. Might have to pull the trigger. 

greg_r

rhere’s two cheaper versions. Both with incorrect hands - one of which is quartz. Be careful - you may not get what youre expecting...

cvp3
6 hours ago, greg_r said:

rhere’s two cheaper versions. Both with incorrect hands - one of which is quartz. Be careful - you may not get what youre expecting...

Good callout

Bwatchful

Stunning looking watch Greg, how’s the noise on the rotor with the Miyota? 

greg_r

Mine's pretty quiet. YMMV ;)

Bwatchful
7 minutes ago, greg_r said:

Mine's pretty quiet. YMMV ;)

Gotcha. Very cool. 

RussP

Probably from the same designer : 36268352062_eef12121f3_b.jpg