Sign in to follow this  
bowtiefanatc

TC Sub Question - Need new movement

bowtiefanatc

Hi Everyone,

I'm sure this is a really dumb question, but can you replace a TC2824 with any other 2824 style movement? I just remember reading something years ago about a taller H4 pinion or something like that on his. 

Mine died and I'm just thinking about swapping in a new movement, but want to make sure that the hands will move over just fine.

Thanks!

BadPickle

Yep 

ShovelnTC

Yes I believe the H4 pinion is needed to raise the hour hand above the hour indices, if you use the standard movement the hands need to be bent upwards to clear the markers which is noticable, I did it on one of my watches.

I believe some of the rep makers use offset hands to get them up to the right height but the TC hands will be made for the H4 upgrade.

I also believe there a 3 parts needed for the H4 upgrade which you could rat bfrom the old TC movement.

GenTLe
16 minutes ago, ShovelnTC said:

I also believe there a 3 parts needed for the H4 upgrade which you could rat bfrom the old TC movement.

Definitively.

Personally I'd simply service the old movement anyway.

bobandshawn
56 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

Definitively.

Personally I'd simply service the old movement anyway.

Normally i would disagree based on new ETA's costing about $170...but considering H4 swap anyway - just service it...

B

bowtiefanatc

I found a seagull SW200 for under $100. So what I’m hearing is just pony up extra $$ and have the TC serviced? 

ShovelnTC

Yep if it were me I'd get your TC movement serviced.

unreformed66
On 12/20/2017 at 23:27, bowtiefanatc said:

I found a seagull SW200 for under $100. So what I’m hearing is just pony up extra $$ and have the TC serviced? 

Do you mean a Seagull 2824 or a Sellita SW200? A real Sellita is a better movement than an A2824, but the A2824 isn't bad either. And if you're buying one of those "factory fresh" Chinese movements it will need service anyway in most cases. They tend to come from the factory full of  dust and grit and either with nearly no oil where it does belong or a puddle of oil where it doesn't belong. Or both...lol. Unless I was upgrading to the gen Selitta or gen ETA I'd just service the movement you have.

tripdog123
On 21/12/2017 at 05:27, bowtiefanatc said:

Seagull don't make SW200s,  it's Sellita that makes those. A 2824 is a model, the Chinese make clones of them, the Seagull watch company is amongst them,  they are called Asian 2824s, their quality varies from OK to pure shit.

Sellita is a Swiss company that makes a clone of the ETA 2824, the quality is on a par with that of an ETA 2824.

Edited by tripdog123

bowtiefanatc

My fault, it is a Selitta.