ShovelnTC

Tudor Black Bay V1 retrospective.

ShovelnTC

Not a review but some of my thoughts on this great watch.

On Oct 14 2012 Angus at PT started a thread on RGThe VERY FIRST 1:1 Tudor SUPER REP - Heritage Black Bay”

This thread detailed the proposed manufacture and ongoing process updates from the ZFactory right through the process until the final release. It went for ages and to this day has 164 pages.

It was an epic thread and peoples excitement was like a rollercoaster with availability dates and prices being unknown throughout the thread and much speculation and rumour was common.

On Nov 13 2013 73 pages and 13 months later the first sample pic of a complete watch was published by Angus.

Speculation, criticism and a general hive of activity followed until it was announced that pre-orders would be accepted on Nov 15, for the next few days the thread was continually added to and on the 15th there was a new post being added every few minutes until it was announced that orders were being accepted. From then on for quite a few days it was a carnival atmosphere with people posting that they had ordered and much excitement was being had by all.

The second week in Jan 14 and 108 pages into the thread before the first QC pics are received and again there is a frenzy of posts from excited members.

I had tried to pre-order in the first batch but after having my payment method rejected multiple times I gave up in disgust then relented and re-pre-ordered mine on Feb 9 2014 and finally took delivery in the third week of Feb 2014 so it was from the the second batch which was the same as the first (I believe 100 were made in the first batch) but only had the rotor engraved whereas the first batch had the Rotor and the bridge engraved.

After the initial ordering frenzy the next thing was the straps, the Rep came only with a bracelet only but the Gen’s were most popular with the distressed leather strap so the next bunch of posts were about the various options for a gen like strap, I went along with most and bought a Strapped for time strap which was nice but ultimately was a long way off the original one and not correctly sized for the deployant clasp.

Anyway I finally had my Red bezelled Black Bay and all was good with the world.

After this the blue bezelled version was released which I also bought but sold on after a short time, awhile later a black bezelled version was released but at that time it was a fantasy version as Tudor hadn’t released it yet but they did awhile later with a red triangle at the 12 O’Clock, I didn’t buy that version but awhile later Tudor released “The One” which was a one off made to give away for charity and of course this was repped which I also bought but again sold a short time later as it wasn’t singing to me like the Red bezel version.

I missed the Blue bezel version and bought one a second time but yet again sold it a short time later so now I still own the original V1 Red bezel and have been wearing it on a reasonably regular rotation for almost four years.

I was sitting yesterday admiring that BB after having worn it for the last few days and realised that this would truly have to be one of my all-time favourite watches and is currently my oldest Rep but it still gives me quite a buzz to wear and still looks fresh even after these years of ownership so I think the makers did a great job.

It’s a matter of opinion as to how much better or if at all that the later versions are but either way this first offering was a winner as far as I’m concerned.

I’m currently wearing it on an aftermarket distressed leather strap with Rep deployant but equally enjoy it on the original bracelet which is still in my opinion one of the nicest bracelets available.

Really Glad I bought this one and also glad that I haven’t sold it even though I have listed it a few times but removed it from sale fairly quickly each time after listing.

So some pics of the keeper taken over the time I've owned it!

5EAFkkn.jpg?1

z15PkHR.jpg

GiOvyoh.jpg

KU6SY5l.jpg

vvj8HTx.jpg

4SD1XCS.jpg

NQn13YQ.jpg

z5ZCQjA.jpg

7E7JZ6w.jpg

ussdassein

Looks really nice congrats and Merry xmas 

Raddave

i got one too from the first batch 

i think this one was the very last one sold from that batch 

m16mNxh.jpg

ShovelnTC
3 hours ago, Mn80 said:

So is this the same version from ZF? But obviously blue version.

http://trustytime.store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=228&products_id=12585

No that is the budget version with mineral glass crystal and 2813 movement.

The original version and now up to V5 in the rose dial and V1 in the shield dial has saphire crystal and 2824 Movement.

9 hours ago, Raddave said:

i got one too from the first batch 

i think this one was the very last one sold from that batch 

m16mNxh.jpg

Yeah Dave they are worth hanging on to.

GenTLe

I have one too, recently serviced and with a new pearl (from helenarou, even more gen-like than the V3 one I had on) as the gen one went missing.

I still love it A LOT.

ShovelnTC
8 hours ago, GenTLe said:

I have one too, recently serviced and with a new pearl (from helenarou, even more gen-like than the V3 one I had on) as the gen one went missing.

I still love it A LOT.

Yeah mate mine's not been serviced but still going strong.

Hard to beat these and still reasonablty priced at under $300.

Thommo82

From the gate and under $100

Solid watch, nothing cheap about the way it looks or feels

44_F25_E55-24_F1-4_C7_E-_BD06-94_C3_E916

MrGoodTime
15 hours ago, Thommo82 said:

From the gate and under $100

Solid watch, nothing cheap about the way it looks or feels

44_F25_E55-24_F1-4_C7_E-_BD06-94_C3_E916

That is a very nice Rep. When you say THE GATE do you mean DH Gate? I'm sorry but i have been out of the collecting circle for about 8 years and I'm just getting back into it so I have to start from ground zero. Does Dh Gate have trusted sellers? I see everything from cheap $10 fakes to $500 1:1 replicas. If you did get it from DH Gate could you PMN me the seller?
Forgive me if I have broken any rules. I have tried to read them all and stick to them. But being that I am new here it's hard to know everything. Thanks again....from this old head turned newbie.

Oris

Nice watch and a nice post. I liked the slightly historic angle you took by recalling the pivotal turns in Angus' development thread, and the mood of anticipation around the release of the watch. IMO, that's one of the most fun parts of the rep game.

Thommo82
31 minutes ago, MrGoodTime said:

That is a very nice Rep. When you say THE GATE do you mean DH Gate? I'm sorry but i have been out of the collecting circle for about 8 years and I'm just getting back into it so I have to start from ground zero. Does Dh Gate have trusted sellers? I see everything from cheap $10 fakes to $500 1:1 replicas. If you did get it from DH Gate could you PMN me the seller?
Forgive me if I have broken any rules. I have tried to read them all and stick to them. But being that I am new here it's hard to know everything. Thanks again....from this old head turned newbie.

Just tagged you in my review of this watch but realised you won’t see it as it’s in a section only available to VIP members sorry. 

Yes I mean DHGate, take a look there, this watch is easy to find, find a seller with good reviews. Prices vary, but you should be able to find it for under $100.

I take NO RESPONSIBILITY if you don’t do your own research and get a dud watch

Happy hunting 

Mn80
On 25/12/2017 at 21:50, ShovelnTC said:

No that is the budget version with mineral glass crystal and 2813 movement.

The original version and now up to V5 in the rose dial and V1 in the shield dial has saphire crystal and 2824 Movement.

Yeah Dave they are worth hanging on to.

So would you say it's not worth buying? Looking for first rep. Rather taken with Tudors, the BB and Pelagos are high on the list.  Thinking of getting the BB as a rep and saving for the Pelagos gen. 

But not sure I want to plunge to much into a rep just yet. 

Edited by Mn80

BM284

Great read through - the red bezel black bay is my all time favourite watch. I longed for ownership of this so when a v2 came up for sale (a while back now) I jumped on it .... only to get the opportunity to buy the gen at a silly price. I subsequently sold on the v2 - but wow what a rep!! 

GenTLe
So would you say it's not worth buying? Looking for first rep. Rather taken with Tudors, the BB and Pelagos are high on the list.  Thinking of getting the BB as a rep and saving for the Pelagos gen. 
I think both (BB and Pelagos) aren't worth buying in gen form: the BB is just perfect (especially the flower dial one) and the Pelagos once 'cured' (for instance glueing the he valve from the inside) is perfect...
But you need to get the good ones, not the dhgate cheap ones...

Mn80
14 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

I think both (BB and Pelagos) aren't worth buying in gen form: the BB is just perfect (especially the flower dial one) and the Pelagos once 'cured' (for instance glueing the he valve from the inside) is perfect...
But you need to get the good ones, not the dhgate cheap ones...

Thanks for that. A friend has the genuine Pelagos in black, and its really nice, wouldn't mind one gen, in Blue.

But I agree, looking at one in an AD, the BB isn't worth the money gen. Might go for the cheap rose BBblue as my first TD experience and see where I go from there.

Natas78
17 hours ago, Thommo82 said:

Just tagged you in my review of this watch but realised you won’t see it as it’s in a section only available to VIP members sorry. 

Yes I mean DHGate, take a look there, this watch is easy to find, find a seller with good reviews. Prices vary, but you should be able to find it for under $100.

Happy hunting 

There is a recent topic on the differences between a dhgate BB and a TD BB, and yes there are many differences. Only a side-by-side will show these.

The same goes for the dhgate Nautilus, good watch for 70 EUR but far from close to gen.

Thommo82
45 minutes ago, Natas78 said:

There is a recent topic on the differences between a dhgate BB and a TD BB, and yes there are many differences. Only a side-by-side will show these.

The same goes for the dhgate Nautilus, good watch for 70 EUR but far from close to gen.

Thing is, not everyone is after a watch as close to gen as possible. My gate B.B. is a great solid watch that makes me smile when it’s on my wrist, so does my gate Nautilus for that matter. 

If  im going to drop decent money on a watch, it’s going to be a gen watch.

Im not trying to pass off my reps as gen, so I care none for the flaws so long as they are not ugly.

I also like to try out watches on the gate in order to see if I’m willing to drop big money on a quality rep

Natas78
39 minutes ago, Thommo82 said:

Thing is, not everyone is after a watch as close to gen as possible. My gate B.B. is a great solid watch that makes me smile when it’s on my wrist, so does my gate Nautilus for that matter. 

If  im going to drop decent money on a watch, it’s going to be a gen watch.

Im not trying to pass off my reps as gen, so I care none for the flaws so long as they are not ugly.

I also like to try out watches on the gate in order to see if I’m willing to drop big money on a quality rep

Oh but I agree, at least the part where we both smile at the bargain we just did on the gate :) I have the nautilus and it's a solid beater.

What decent money means to you or me might be different, however. I will always have an issue spending +1000 EUR on any watch, knowing the rep quality today.

The reason for bringing the BB question up was solely because I read the topic on RWI, saw the comparison and it looked way off. Ugly even. I don't necessarily see that in your watch BTW.

MrGoodTime
19 hours ago, Thommo82 said:

Happy hunting 

Thank you for your response. I have been checking out DHgate and fopund some good dealers. I understand that in this game you really have to do your own research though.

ShovelnTC
9 hours ago, Mn80 said:

Well for me I don't buy the budget Reps anymore as MY experience with the budget versions has not been good and the majority have broken down or become uneconomical once repaired even doing it myself so no cheapies for me.

The "better" version of these Reps are $288 from most TD's and that gets you Sapphire Crystal and a A2824 movement, better shaped hand set and generally an all around great rep.

Thommo82
3 hours ago, Natas78 said:

Oh but I agree, at least the part where we both smile at the bargain we just did on the gate :) I have the nautilus and it's a solid beater.

What decent money means to you or me might be different, however. I will always have an issue spending +1000 EUR on any watch, knowing the rep quality today.

The reason for bringing the BB question up was solely because I read the topic on RWI, saw the comparison and it looked way off. Ugly even. I don't necessarily see that in your watch BTW.

I’ve been lucky with my ‘better’ watches from the gate and have received some really nice pieces. 

Agree about people’s perspective on decent money too. For me, anything that going to be above $400 is going to be gen, no questions asked 

fetasigma

I just bought a v2 on m2m, I have a v1 from the first run but it gave up the ghost a little while back. I do love this watch it is a beauty to behold

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Bwatchful

Fantastic looking watch defo on the list!

Monkeyman

Oh wow, that a great post!

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk