Sign in to follow this  
roberto

Should I have a go at it then?

roberto

Time hangs heavy over the Yuletide period (which incidentally I'm pretty happy about).  I took to looking through the 'dead drawer' and have found a few bits that I might have a go at.  One is a Planet Ocean which whilst is decent and respectable enough to rescue- inside the dial a couple of the hour markers have become unstuck and dropped into the face, rattling around.  It's not worth much, just a 21J jobbie, so I'm thinking of operating on it myself.  There are quite a few YouTube videos on how to do stuff, and I've got lots of tools which I've never really used apart from opening the odd caseback, changing a battery, changing straps and generally poncing about.

So, what say the learned on the topic? 

And what might you guys use to glue back the couple of departed markers?

I've also got a cheapy Daytona that went straight into the drawer as the hands weren't aligned properly.  But first things first eh.

Cheers
R :)

Natas78

Hey why not, you have to start somewhere.

Just don't do anything to the movement, they're not designed to be taken apart and back together.

I use UHU 90-minute epoxy, long working time, easily applied with oilers or similar thin applicators.

roberto
54 minutes ago, Natas78 said:

Just don't do anything to the movement, they're not designed to be taken apart and back together.

I use UHU 90-minute epoxy, long working time, easily applied with oilers or similar thin applicators.

Cheers.. let's see how we go then... :)

TRANSPORTER
On 27/12/2017 at 12:29, Natas78 said:

Why do you say they are not designed to be taken apart? Of course they are, the 21j movements are quite capable movements and are designed like every other movement past and present and can be stripped cleaned and lubed and generally run better after this has been done, too many people junk these movements instead of working on them.

As for the OP, go for it, you will need to remove the hands to take the dial off to re affix the hour markers though, you seem a little wary about doing this though. Align the hands to 12 and using a dial protector and a hand remover lift them off ( it you haven’t got a dedicated hand removal tool you can use at a push two small screwdrivers, one either side and gently lever the hand stack up, you might want to put the movement in a clear plastic bag whilst doing this for the first time incase the hand stack pings off and hands go flying)

Once the hand stack is off turn the movement over or look around it’s outer edge for where the dial feet go through the movement and are secured by a screw for each foot, undo each screw a few turns and then the dial ( might need a slight lift with a screwdriver by each foot) will lift off. Once off place your first loose hour marker back in place ( they generally have two small pins on the back that align with corresponding holes on the dial) when you have placed the hour marker back in its holes turn it back over and then with an oiler or such place a small amount of glue on the rear of the dial over the protruding part of the feet, this will hold the hour markers in place.

As for placing the hands back on, you will need a good set of tweezers and hand settting tools, I’ve got the rather nice Horotec hand tool,  it still like to use my old hand tools, what you need to watch for is hand clearance from each other and the dial and crystal so when you have them all on they should all be parallel to the dial and each other, otherwise they can interfere with each other causing the watch to stop and / fall off. 

One important thing to remember when removing the hands is doing it so the date changes at midnight when you put them back on, what I tend to do is wind the hands round till the date changes then round until midday then I remove them, you will need to have the movement stopped whilst you are working on the dial otherwise the date/ time change will be out when you put the hands back on. To stop the movement you will need to either let the mainspring down, done by rotating the crown and observing the click, when the click is moved you can hold it away from the barrel wheel with a pair of tweezers and allow the crown to spin under control through your thumb and finger allowing the power to be let out of the mainspring.  The quick way is to get the Rodico and gently push some onto the movement plate where the balance is visible and allow it to contact the balance wheel thus stopping the movement running.

Dont forget not to screw up the keyless works when taking the stem out to remove the movement from the case ok, I know it sounds like a lot of work, but you should have the whole thing done in about half hour maximum ( when you’ve done a few ) just take your time and enjoy ok, any dramas just put a post up and either myself or someone else will be along to point you in the right direction

bowtiefanatc

If you don’t want to mess with the PO I’ll buy it off you for the crown. I need a new crown and it’s about as elusive as unicorn farts.