GenTLe

Modding AP 15202 bracelet

GenTLe

Hi folks!

So, some time ago I got a nice 15202 blue dial from the good @Foxindebox. As he wrote in the sale tread, he messed up with the original rep bracelet and replaced it with a new one, which, anyway, wasn't fitting well with the case.

You can see the big gap between the last large link and the case, as well as the gap between the little endlinks and the case too:

24545172157_eb3be9b9af_b.jpg

39411159121_93a6960ae4_b.jpg

The problem was caused by the fact that:

1. the endlinks were too long
  2. the holes in the case were too near to the border of the case, accentuating the issue

I thought a bit about how possibly fix it, and the only was was by shortening the endlinks and re-position the holes in them.

The big problem is that it is nearly impossible to make a proper 1.15mm hole so near to the old one without having the drill bit to bend and make a mess...

So here it's how I've done:

First I drilled a 2mm hole using the old 1.15 pre-existent holes as guides. In the picture you see a stock bracelet next to the one with the enlarged hole:

25540994318_8b5bdf550c_b.jpg

Here after, with a small file, I made the gap a bit more deep, and also after I carefully shortened the endlinks:

39411154691_68e5082c2f_b.jpg

The next step has been to fill the gap with some extra strong epoxy 2 component metal based glue (a product similar to this one: http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE2-1133719dt.jpg ). In order for the glue not to spread around, I wrapped the endlinks with some insulating tape stripes:

39381156692_99b111fd96_b.jpg

Obtaining this half-way result:

25541009658_f04a44a633_b.jpg

And, after removing the glue excess, this one (yes, my nails are bad looking: it's the dust of that glue...):

39411169251_ce2db56737_b.jpg

39381161302_22c1cfd28c_b.jpg

Next step was to glue (with a tiny bit of cyanoacrylate) the endlinks to the watch case, so that they were stable and well positioned. Because at that point I had to drill the new 1.15mm holes within the epoxy resin and I needed the watch head and the bracelet to be blocked in their proper position. The cyanoacrylate can be removed later with some ear cotton plug and acetone.

Here after the new holes have been drilled and the bracelet removed from the case and the cyanoacrylate wiped away:

39411178771_b798267d61_b.jpg

Finally this is the result, and I've to say I'm happy with it :)

25541024888_43e2ff2cec_b.jpg

27633788739_49bba5fd4c_b.jpg

25541029208_50dbf67c01_b.jpg

This method can be used on practically all solid metal straps when the case has pass-through holes.

Hope you enjoyed :)

Nikosaldente

It's always fun to see your DIY projects Alex!

Well done mate!

Thanks for sharing!

Wishes for a Happy New Year!

Glaude

Again ! 

Awesome share and good trick.

Filing job to keep the same profile on the endlinks as before is not so bad either ;) 

Moondustesp

Nice job well done

_DC_

Wow, this really is some ingenuity, puts my dial mods to shame

Superb job buddy!

DC

10:10 Watch Repair

:clap:

Foxindebox

That looks amazing mate, top job!

10:10 Watch Repair

Very nice solution. Curious if it will last.

GenTLe
1 hour ago, 10:10 Watch Repair said:

Very nice solution. Curious if it will last.

I think (hope) so because of 2 reasons:

1) this glue is very solid once dried, more than the nylon used by leather AP strap inserts, and very strong (more than 100kg/cm2 adhesive capacity)

2) the parts filled with glue are round, so the glue can't detach and come out of them

Anyway we will see :) I'm using it right now :)