Khronos

AP 15400 JF V2J dial color

Khronos

I did my research and didn't find a proper answer, mostly due to RWI being dead ATM.

Anyhoo, I NEEEEEED a 15400 and there's a lovely newish version out by JF.

I particulary like the SS blue dial version:

https://puretime05.com/royal-oak-41mm-15400-ss-jf-1-1-best-edition-blue-textured-dial-on-ss-bracelet-a3120-v2j.html

aaaand ( this one is the biggest surprise to myself ) the rose gold one:

https://puretime05.com/royal-oak-41mm-15400-rg-jf-1-1-best-edition-black-textured-dial-on-rg-bracelet-a3120-v2j.html

Three of my ( many more ) golden rules are:

1. Closed caseback only  ( but I don't mind the open one here, it looks lovely )

2. Black dial only 

3. No plating, strictly SS

What I'd like to know is:

- which dial is closest to gen ( I mean of them all, not my two choices )? Is blue very far off? 

- will RG plating last at least a year? Or is it very sensitive? ( I take VERY good care of my watches, but have toxic sweat, I'm afraid it might wear off )

- is the gold plating also on the inside of /and between the links?

Wristies are more than welcome :)

HHjones

im curious about this topic as well, been looking at the jf ap's as ive heard great things but unsure on the accuracy of the colour.

wants a rose gold, black face and black leather strap or a blue depending on if the colour is ok.

Khronos

Rep straps are usually not that great. It's better to buy the watch on a bracelet and have a custom leather made.

Mary Watch

it is no problem to last more than two years if u don't scratch the case deeply.   And all the rep watches, black dial will be more closed to gen.  

about the links, the factory plate it separately.  all the surface will be plated.

HHjones
4 minutes ago, Khronos said:

Rep straps are usually not that great. It's better to buy the watch on a bracelet and have a custom leather made.

how much is it to get a strap made? im sure everyones price is different but how much roughly do you think it would be?

Khronos
13 minutes ago, HHjones said:

how much is it to get a strap made? im sure everyones price is different but how much roughly do you think it would be?

I'd say 250-ish, for a good one. In $.

Khronos
20 minutes ago, Mary Watch said:

it is no problem to last more than two years if u don't scratch the case deeply.   And all the rep watches, black dial will be more closed to gen.  

about the links, the factory plate it separately.  all the surface will be plated.

Thank you for your reply Mary! 

I always tend to buy black dialled watches just for that reason.

I saw some posts saying that the white one is closest to gen, but I don't like it at all.

The RG with the black dial on the other hand, now that's another story :) 

The one thing I really really don't like about this version, is the 9015. I hate those..Almost impossible to silence the rotor.

mech500

Blue Dial colour is very dynamic on gen and rep.

There is no accepted definition of what gen blue dial should look like.

In some lighting gen blue looks purple, other lighting it looks black.

There are also probably different gen batch variations...nobody can prove otherwise.

Therefore, I wouldn’t worry about rep blue dial accuracy to gen...and get the colour you like.

I think JF blue is stunning....get it...you won’t regret it.

The white dial looks feminine (personal opinion).

Black is nice but boring.

The TT JF15400 is not gold plated all around the mid-links.

mech500

Here’s some pics of the JF15400s ive owned over the years (various revisions 1-3):

9faf16b125121588d294f3d23a1a804d.jpg
e673d7c6356d6627849e7057fb0aa43f.jpg
0b166645799124048a1deccf3024d17d.jpg
b66b43e72e7701b82733044299a7712d.jpg
6c9f70acb257f575b412229408ebc927.jpg
d4ca34a4a780920569616a94119d1175.jpg

I think the bracelet with its alternating brushed and polished surfaces is what makes this watch (IMo)

Howitzer

Quick reply as I'm short on time but I have the V2J blue dial SS version and did a fair amount of research before pulling the trigger. From what I read, the white dial is probably the closest to gen, but also that (in a few people's eyes at least) the rep blue dial was almost better-looking than gen.  Plus the blue dial gen is a more limited boutique version so less likely to see another in the wild. Plus I have a thing for blue dials, am not a big fan of white dials and wanted some variety from the usual black dials! The only other thing to consider with the blue version is that the date wheel is ever so slightly darker than gen btw. 

Most importantly it is a beautiful watch and of a very high quality. I'm extremely happy with it. Even the stock bracelet feels really solid and well made. Whichever way you go I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Here are a couple of (low quality) wrist shots (complete with, I've just noticed, my unusually long and rather wiry arm pub... sorry, hairs). She's currently getting a once-over and rotor silencing (Miyota problems...) so I can't do any better at the moment I'm afraid! 

Enjoy the chase!

15400_in.jpg 
15400_out.jpg

Khronos

@mech500 I can't thank you enough for your thoughts on this matter. I think you should spend more time here instead of RWI and RG :D , your knowledge is remarkable!I love the way the blue dial changes its appearance in different light conditions. The black has always proven to be more versatile, it matches every single color, so you can wear whatever you want. Blue looks a bit dressier, but I think I'll just get it, no matter what. I'll build my wardrobe around the damn thing :D

@Howitzer23 : This is what I read too, but the white one looks kinda cheap in pictures and pretty bland compared to other ones. I don't really understand how they manage to screw up the black one, but I try not to think about it too much. I get the V1,V2,V9,Vx business model, so we'll just leave it at that. On the datewheel - is the gen datewheel supposed to be of another color? It looks black to me in gen and it's black in rep. Or are the numbers too dark? Thank you for your photos, you got the amazing crystal very well on the first pic..or did you take the crystal off before shooting this photo?! ;)

But I'm still thinking about that RG one..hmmm...:wub:

Wedders

I like the grey one what's wrong with that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Khronos
3 minutes ago, Wedders said:

I like the grey one what's wrong with that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Nothing really. Rep makers are usualy color blind, more or less, and they can't get any color right, but black. And not even that in this case. It's probably not exactly the same shade of grey. And grey dialed watches look very dull sometimes, if they don't have a spectacular sunburst effect.

Howitzer

@Khronos thanks, it is easy to get great pics of this watch, especially in natural light. I did think of installing a 2xAR crystal because they do look the bollocks but I think the stock JF crystal is bang on and more like gen. 

ref the DW. The gen DW background is similar to (if not the same as) the blue dial, but is slightly darker on the rep. Doesn't bother me in the slightest though. 

Khronos

@Howitzer23 Thank you for clarification. I have checked many pics of gens this evening and the DW looks slightly darker on them too. I'm still convinced that the black is more versatile, but hell - I own only black watches, time for a change :) I'm still a bit undecided about the RG.. One thing that bothers me the most is the price tag of the gen and my lifestyle is not anywhere near that level. It's like seeing a brand new S class in front of a "mobile home"..poor context..

drifterr

Hers mine. Currently on route to me

Gotta love the blue dial
853abd4c07af16a21d3cf3118182b295.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Khronos

@drifterr Mate, you're on fire - ARF Daytona, Sea-dweller, now this..where will it all end?! ;)

All these pics are pretty confusing. The blue dial looks like it has a lovely sunburst effect in some pics and then it's completely flat in others. So what is it in real life? Sunburst or matte/flat/dull?

drifterr

Lol.. also got these coming

My newly found love for APs

Diver v7
Ceramic V4 noob298a3a1ed67f452a2387ec3d5ea69307.jpg68d1cba71eff352c53892ffa50f1fe6c.jpg

drifterr
[mention=94440]drifterr[/mention] Mate, you're on fire - ARF Daytona, Sea-dweller, now this..where will it all end?!
All these pics are pretty confusing. The blue dial looks like it has a lovely sunburst effect in some pics and then it's completely flat in others. So what is it in real life? Sunburst or matte/flat/dull?
Should have mine next week hopefully.

I'll post pictures in different lighting.

Khronos

@drifterr You want 'em all, eh? :D

I love that ceramic diver, wow! But I don't think I can pull it off, the regular JF V7 diver looked ridiculous on my 7.3" wrist, it's a huuuuge watch.

Does anyone have a wristie of the RG version in natural light? Do you guys think it's strictly a dress watch or can it also be worn with casual clothes?

drifterr

@khronos

I am late to the rep world. Lol making up for lost time.

RG on rubber and leather looks sweet and would be my preference. Don't think I could pull it off on bracelet as it would be too much going on.

Its one of those things I am yet to try .

Don't think I'll be making anymore purchases for a while.

Got plenty to keep me occupied for a long time.

Howitzer

The dial is much more lively in the "flesh", and varies between different lighting situations. In some cases it shimmers and the watch is more like a piece of jewellery, especially with the bracelet. In some light it looks more matte and like a more typical sports/diver. Personally, at least in SS, I think it works with both formal and casual attire. 

drifterr
The dial is much more lively in the "flesh", and varies between different lighting situations. In some cases it shimmers and the watch is more like a piece of jewellery, especially with the bracelet. In some light it looks more matte and like a more typical sports/diver. Personally, at least in SS, I think it works with both formal and casual attire. 
Great info.

Please post more pics..

Howitzer

Would love to but it's away being serviced. Sorry! 

ieweey
On 06/01/2018 at 18:23, Howitzer23 said:

I beg to differ. Maybe it applies to the rep? My wife has the gen blue dial in a tiny size, and it always looks matt and dull.