GingerApple

Molotow Paint Mod

Cdenim

Alnost identical, color is almost indistinguishable. But...... i like how smooth this is and damn if it doesn't reflect light, exactly. 1:1 like the gen platinum. So nice.
And took me 3 hours less including dry time

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Cdenim

Only, but it wouldn't sway me, only thing with this, it falls apart with anykind of clear coat. Now I'm pretty sure its bc it needed more dry time. Need to play with it some, but given its an acrylic base and permanent, might not need any.

Cdenim

Good shot here, see how off direct light, the indices have that flat white to them but you have that iridescent shine coming from the numbers on the other side.... my spongebob doesn't duplicate that well. Its why the gen platinum is so hard to imitate. Wow9273cd488e541acf21e11f22e88f8cce.jpg

drifterr

Great stuff@gingerbubba@cdenim

Great results.

I am not good and this sorta stuff and know I will fuck it up. But ginger says you can't possibly fuxknit up.

Knowing me...I will...lolol

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

nuk

Good work, buddy, hats off!! Can’t wait to get my hands on that magic pen :)

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

GingerApple
6 hours ago, Cdenim said:

If you're ever in the chicago area, @GingerBubba you're letting me buy you a beer. guys............................................................................................... HOLY SHIT! That was my reaction an hour ago. Sir, this is by far, the easiest, closest, hands down DIY paint mod for an insert out. NO preparation. NO complicated application. No special this or that. Blob the paint into the insert #'s and hashes, let it dry to its super metallic, perfectly evenly coating, whitish-bright silvery-platinum color and done. Nominating you for best Replica DIY project of the year.  I am blown away by this and have tried EVERYTHING.... Nicely played sir, nicely played.

Holy moly, I'm a legend!!!!!!! L-E-G-E-N-D!!!!!!!!! I absolutely WILL let this go to my head.

Admin, can I get a 'DIY Mod of the Year' badge for under my name please?  Gold plated effect lettering would be good. Also, I demand I am moved up to level 2 on the T.N.S.:  I have suffered at level 3 and 4 for far too long.

All joking aside,  I'm delighted and chuffed that is worked so well for you. I liked my result a lot, but being a noob, I didn't realise quite how good a mod it sounds like it is - but it certainly is easy and risk free, so for those considering it, don't worry and go for it!

Please note too that whilst I'm the one bringing this to your attention here at RWG, as I said in  my first post, I just got this from someone else on RWI who kindly did a tutorial and if I could recall their name or get access to RWI, I would credit them by name.

So enjoy guys! And if I'm ever in Chicago, I will take you up on your offer so we can talk watches!!!

Cdenim

Well hey man, cudo's to you for bringing this up here while we are in limbo still.  And no, the best thing about this is how easily its done. My attempts were very good but it was way too complicated. and results would very, in watchmaking or any type of work where deductive reasoning is relied on to place in order a series of steps to make constant one  particular outcome, It frustrated me to no end. I promise, @drifterr you'll make this look like a spongebob insert your first time. 

Robert11
Before RWI went down, I read an excellent 'how to' thread from a member over there, whose name I'm afraid I can't recall, who'd decided to try a sharpie-esque paint mod. What he did differently though was use a different paint (Molotow 227HS metallic silver) and a different method; squeeze out a little puddle of paint and dip a cotton bud into that paint before painting onto the bezel. 
I thought I'd give it a go as he made it sound so easy and guess what - it is! Bear in mind I'm pretty much a noob, I'm not good at DIY type stuff in general and I've never tried to do anything to a watch apart from change/remove/resize straps. The watch I'm modding is my Noob v7 Sub with all the normal bezel issues that go with it.
The point of this thread is to basically to urge people to give this type of mod a go if you so wish - you can't really fuck it up.  If you do a terrible job, the paint easily wipes of the bezel/crystal with a second cotton bud dipped in methylated spirit (ie, alcohol).
I've taken a couple of pics so people can see the pen and my efforts. Pen first: 
21b62a0.jpg
29mav6v.jpg
27x04z9.jpg
First coat going on (I did a few) 
212c0v5.jpg
After a couple of coats, not yet cleaned properly etc
f29ggi.jpg
Next to my ARF Sea-dweller
2s9upev.jpg
2vs2gbo.jpg
So it's far from perfect, nor indeed is it finished yet - another coat and then a proper cleaning is needed - but it's a cheap, easy mod that's fun to do. The pen cost about £5 delivered in the UK fyi.

Was it the 2mm or 4mm metallic silver Molotov?

Sent from my satellite phone.

Robert11

Never mind I see from the pic it’s the 4.

GingerApple
2 minutes ago, Robert11 said:

Was it the 2mm or 4mm metallic silver Molotov?

No idea. Although that top picture has '4mm' on it at the bottom so that'd be my guess. I don't think it would matter though; I didn't use the pen as such - just squeezed out a puddle of paint onto a plastic surface to dip my cotton bud into.

Robert11
No idea. Although that top picture has '4mm' on it at the bottom so that'd be my guess. I don't think it would matter though; I didn't use the pen as such - just squeezed out a puddle of paint onto a plastic surface to dip my cotton bud into.

Ok cool. Just ordered one from Blicks. How’s it holding up? Still look good?

GingerApple
33 minutes ago, Robert11 said:

Ok cool. Just ordered one from Blicks. How’s it holding up? Still look good?

Yeah, quite well. It's not perfect, but it's a billion times better than not doing it. 

Suk

An incredible result and it does not seem difficult. I need to do it to my sub c

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Nikosaldente

My "Sharpie Mod" says hi:

IMG_20180218_094013.jpg

IMG_20180213_134601.jpg

GingerApple

Get that Sharpie filth off my thread! Honestly, the cheek!!!!

(Looks great though ;))

Cdenim

So far, once this stuff dries...like days later, it is in there so good, i couldn't take it off with carb cleaner. its almost permanately bonded to the insert. Still the best way to change the insert for the buck out there.

nuk

Days? Really? I'm asking because I've got the pen already, but the rollies haven't arrived yet, so I told a friend I could do a test with his watches meanwhile. It'll be nice to know how long the whole process could take (2 or 3 layers i've read?), so I could inform my friend before he gives me the watches.   Tx!

GingerApple
6 hours ago, nuk said:

Days? Really? I'm asking because I've got the pen already, but the rollies haven't arrived yet, so I told a friend I could do a test with his watches meanwhile. It'll be nice to know how long the whole process could take (2 or 3 layers i've read?), so I could inform my friend before he gives me the watches.   Tx!

Dry enough to wear within about ten min.

nuk

Thanks GingerBubba!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

nivka

This seems like the best bang for your buck solution to the dull noob insert numbers.

My sub says hi a470a033642db7b78ffef321fdc69427.jpg

Nikosaldente
1 hour ago, nivka said:

This seems like the best bang for your buck solution to the dull noob insert numbers.

My sub says hi a470a033642db7b78ffef321fdc69427.jpg

It's not fair....

Yours is Gen:D

Robse1

That molotow stuff is awesome !!!

GingerApple
52 minutes ago, Nikosaldente said:

It's not fair....

Yours is Gen:D

It's it!!?! I had no idea. Fucking hell, this just tells my I am way better suited to Reps, I literally can't tell the difference between them. I must admit, when I saw this I thought to myself, 'Oh, he got himself a nice one there, everything seems to line up nicely, the Cyclops looks good...." etc, but I still thought it was Rep! I'm a twat.

Nikosaldente
1 hour ago, GingerBubba said:

I'm a twat.

Self awareness:rofl: