MAJ75

MAJ75's SOTC Early 2018

MAJ75

Spurred on by @Foxindebox 's recent excellent SOTC thread I thought I would round up the latest happenings in my world. So please see below where my collection currently sits. In 2017 I rationalised the Rolex part of the collection & bought a couple of nice gens along the way.

I have been disciplined in maintaining a proper daily rotation & there are only a couple that stay in the box, so will probably hit M2M at some stage this year.

One observation that I would like to make as I have read much on the subject is that I derive as much pleasure from wearing the Portuguese or TC LV as I do from wearing the gen Speedy or Navitimer to my mind there is absolutely no difference in the "feel" on the wrist, it is a purely psychological thing thinking that because something costs 10X the price that it actually makes a discernible difference...because in my experience it doesn't.

I love being part of this community & in many ways it is more rewarding than the activity that goes on in gen forums.

At the bottom I have shared my plans for what I hope 2018 holds.

Lets start with the current Reps:

Rolex Submariner 1680 - WatchguyUSA Build

Killer creamy/puffy lumed dial from Minh Quy, beautiful ghost insert & tan vintage strap.........

1680.jpg

Franken Datejusts

Linen Dial SS/WG - A fair few genuine parts.

DJ_Linen.jpg

TT Built by our very own @ROLIE , with genuine dial.

DJ_TT.jpg

TC X2

TC LV

One of my earliest purchases back in the time when supply was more plentiful. I wear this weekly without fail condition remains flawless.

TC2.jpg

TC LV 2 (with black insert) Fortunate to pick this second one up M2M, I'm thinking about getting a gen dial, insert & crystal...we'll see.

TC1.jpg

Space Dweller

I was extremely fortunate to pick up this rare piece in another M2M deal, I had lusted after it for months after first seeing pictures, then subsequently reading about how the gen came about & how long its life span lasted. Again one of the more appreciated of my collection by fellow members & I love wearing it on a weekly basis, looks great in more casual circumstances.

Space.jpg

IWC 3714

Along with the TC LV this is my most worn rep. It is the latest ZF with slim case/movement. I am thinking extremely carefully about buying the gen in 2018, however the closeness of this replication makes me wonder.....

3714.jpg

Patek Philippe 530

This elicits quite a few comments when worn, I just love the fact that the replicators/factories had the foresight to produce a version of this classic vintage reference.

Patek.jpg

Breitling Navitimer

Let’s start by saying that although I appreciate it has a particularly busy dial it remains one of my favourite watch designs of all time. Many struggle to see past the sunken date wheel, but generally I never let these details bother me I appreciate these for what they are. There is something delicate about the 7750 movement in this one and for many reasons it sits in the box looking pretty most of the time so remains in as new condition as a consequence.

NAVI.jpg

Tudor Black Bay

Superb rep that I had near the top of the list for a while, was glad to pick up a nice example on the M2M board here. As others had suggested it has brought a little colour to the collection.....

TUD_BB.jpg

Panerai 338

Lovely clean design & my first venture into PAM territory. 42mm case & hand wind works perfectly for me. It’s a super quality watch that I’m sure I will enjoy wearing & will certainly cover my brand requirements for the time being. I’m not a huge fan of the larger cases or the designs with the crown guard. I do like the vintage looking pieces so perhaps one of those might find their way into the collection over time

PAM.jpg

Genuine Watches

Rolex Oyster Precisions 6694  & 6494

I was delighted to find a 1978 Oyster Precision in a lovely combination of silver sunburst dial with gilt baton markers on an oyster bracelet. It is in great condition with box & I actually wear it more often than any of the others. It keeps great time & I wind it daily. Ironically I actually originally wanted a silver face with gold markers & a few weeks after the 6694 I found a 6494 on leather band on the bay at an excellent price which was an opportunity I couldn’t pass up so now I have two that fight for wrist time, I do like the variety that one has a steel band whilst the other is on a croc strap.

6694.jpg

6426.jpg

Heuer 7725S & Breitling Top Time

Both of these late 60's pieces remain in the collection.

HEUER.jpg

Top_Time.jpg

Longines Conquest Moonphase

I felt I needed a Moonphase in the collection. I love the Longines Conquest series & was pondering buying the standard non-chrono when I stumbled across this 2002 example.....the rest is history....

LONG_Moon.jpg

Omega Seamaster Chrono (145.029) & Omega Speedmaster Pro (145.022)

The Seamaster is dated 1978 it looks great on either the gold bracelet or a leather strap, it works like a charm & has the added bonus of original box & papers.

The Speedy Pro was picked up towards the end of 2017, one of those pieces that isn't so well replicated due to sub-dial spacing/movement issues. I actually love the design aesthetics & I'm not as hooked as some on the Space history aspect. It came with the bracelet but I prefer wearing it on leather.

SEA.jpg

Speedy.jpg

Breitling Navitimer 81600

My last purchase, this piece dates back to around 87 and was a transitional model that uses the same Lemania movement as the Speedy Pro. Really enjoying owning it so far.

NAVI2.jpg

So what does 2018 have in store?

Hopefully a couple of IWC reps.

Maybe a genuine IWC 3714.

Reducing the collection to 14 pieces tops.....

The pieces I sold over the last year...............

collage.jpg

A last thought.... I am still intending on buying a genuine Submariner either a 14060 or a 5513.....the only thing that will stop me is if the prices keep rising as they are currently as I am hoping to purchase as soon my mortgage is paid off...........

Mr_B

Great current collection matey 

Glaude

Great, great collection with some very carefully chosen piece ! Thanks for sharing !

I've already said it in the topic dedicated to it, but this Breitling 81600 is beautiful !

GingerApple

Gorgeous collection and nicely photographed, thanks for taking the time to do it and for sharing!

By the way, if you ever want to sell your Kermit, I know just the buyer! I'll give you a clue; he's Ginger and his username rhymes with 'hubba'.

steveg9

Thanks for sharing, what a great collection.  Gives this particular noob plenty to think about...

NCRich

You've got the best taste.  Simply superb collection.  Enjoy mate.

splke

You know what I think about your collection my fried it just ouzes class and the more I read from you the more I think you are a class act yourself pal. Congratulations on an outstanding collection. 

MAJ75
4 hours ago, Mr_B said:

Great current collection matey 

Thanks Sir, feels strange not being in imminent purchasing mode for a while..........

2 hours ago, Glaude said:

Great, great collection with some very carefully chosen piece ! Thanks for sharing !

I've already said it in the topic dedicated to it, but this Breitling 81600 is beautiful !

Thanks for the kind words my friend, well appreciated.

1 hour ago, GingerBubba said:

Gorgeous collection and nicely photographed, thanks for taking the time to do it and for sharing!

By the way, if you ever want to sell your Kermit, I know just the buyer! I'll give you a clue; he's Ginger and his username rhymes with 'hubba'.

It was my pleasure & thank you. The Kermit is most likely going with me to the grave!

1 hour ago, steveg9 said:

Thanks for sharing, what a great collection.  Gives this particular noob plenty to think about...

Ther main thing is to enjoy the hobby for yourself mate & don't agonise over the smallest detail...that way it will be more fun............

1 hour ago, NCRich said:

You've got the best taste.  Simply superb collection.  Enjoy mate.

Thanks for your steadfast support Rich, means a great deal.

43 minutes ago, splke said:

You know what I think about your collection my fried it just ouzes class and the more I read from you the more I think you are a class act yourself pal. Congratulations on an outstanding collection. 

Great to have such a compliment from an established forum stalwart & a true gentleman like yourself, thank you.

GingerApple
4 minutes ago, MAJ75 said:

The Kermit is most likely going with me to the grave!

I can wait. Just let me know where you're being buried.:chatty:

paccbet

My ideal collection! 

GC

Superb collection my friend, perfectly balanced and curated... 

55_F33_CA8-3_ACB-4_D71-9_A6_B-_FD2275_E4

Foxindebox

Superb collection mate. Some lovely pieces there (in fact, not a bad choice in sight). Congratulations on the 1680, Heuer 7725s and Speedie pro in particular.

:clap:

BM284

Absolutely fantastic collection. I think you have got the perfect balance (though the space dweller looks out of place - I can help you out there and send it to me ;) ) thanks for sharing. 

Suk

Great collection!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Davesjourney

Yep, I echo all the above comments. Some yummy pieces in there and a wonderful and varied collection.  Class.

Chiruku

Amazing collection as always mate - loving that 1680. 

Im just finishing up a Mini Fiddy build with @kilowattore if you are looking to head down a smaller vintage Pam route. Can highly recommend his work.

Thommo82

Absolutely marvellous!!

The 1680 takes the cake for me

MAJ75
8 hours ago, GingerBubba said:

I can wait. Just let me know where you're being buried.:chatty:

LOL....perhaps when my affairs are put in order, however @GC gets first dibs on the collection.......

7 hours ago, paccbet said:

My ideal collection! 

I've noticed we have similar taste Sir.............

6 hours ago, GC said:

Superb collection my friend, perfectly balanced and curated... 

55_F33_CA8-3_ACB-4_D71-9_A6_B-_FD2275_E4

Cheers Bud, in a similar manner to yourself I can't see it changing too much on the incoming front.

1 hour ago, Foxindebox said:

Superb collection mate. Some lovely pieces there (in fact, not a bad choice in sight). Congratulations on the 1680, Heuer 7725s and Speedie pro in particular.

:clap:

Thanks for the inspiration mate & the kind words.

1 hour ago, Boomoo284 said:

Absolutely fantastic collection. I think you have got the perfect balance (though the space dweller looks out of place - I can help you out there and send it to me ;) ) thanks for sharing. 

You've always been 1st in line should the Space Dweller move on, just can't promise that'll be anytime soon.

1 hour ago, Suk said:

Great collection!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Thanks mate.

34 minutes ago, Davesjourney said:

Yep, I echo all the above comments. Some yummy pieces in there and a wonderful and varied collection.  Class.

Cheers Dave, hope that beautiful VC still makes the rotation?

3 minutes ago, Thommo82 said:

Absolutely marvellous!!

The 1680 takes the cake for me

Thanks for the props, the 1680 seems a popular one.....here's a couple more piccies........

1680.jpg

1680_MDK4.jpg

1680_V2.jpg

Thommo82

It’s the ghost effect/puffy lume/leather strap combo that makes it perfect 

RussP

Lovely collection.

Fabulous pictures.

As always............you make every watch you photograph look desirable.

Thanks for sharing.

wizzzard

Great collection fella - congratulations! Classy indeed. Thank you for taking the time to share. 

Moondustesp

Great collection 

the_datta

Impeccable taste and collection

S.Corbeil

Stunning collection, well thought-out and rounded! You definitively have found your central theme (I haven’t yet!). Please do post more pictures, as your photography is really impreccable!

Edited by S.Corbeil

Davesjourney

Yep @MAJ75, the VC is still there, mate!