Rod

AP 15400 timegrapher advice

Rod

Hi,

RWI refugee here, in search of advice from the knowledgeable members of the forum! I just ordered through Toro a beatiful RO 15400. QC pics arrived and they look fine. What concerns me is the Timegrapher reading which shows a beat error of 0.3ms (pretty good), a lift angle of 52 (not a concern), but is running a bit too fast at +10 s/d, and has an amplitude of 267 which in my book is just acceptable.

In your experience is this fine for a Miyota 9015?

Thank you in advance!

Robert11

Lift angle is what you set. But ya those numbers look fine.

Sent from my satellite phone.

fatarms

I have watches that run 60+ seconds fast per day.  The thing is, I rotate my collection, so I really don't care too much about the +/- secs on the collection because I rarely wear the same watch 2 days in a row.  If you plan on wearing this as a daily, as in every day, then you may want to get it regulated.  If you're going to put this into a rotation, I wouldn't worry too much about 10 seconds per day.   That's actually decent for a replica movement :)  Good luck!

goodjack

I think 10 sec fast for a Miyota 9015 is considered within the range of acceptable accuracy for that movement.

Paneraiguy000

Lift angle is what it is for that movement. Not like you can change or adjust it in anyway. +10 s/d is what its running in the position they gave you a picture of and not exactly how it will keep time through daily wear. A proper time result is taking the average of all 6 positions which  will give you the rate and delta but you'll need a machine yourself to record that.

Have a local friendly rep watchmaker adjust the rate if you find it to be too fast or slow .

Rod

Thank you for all your replies guys! I guess until now I've been pretty lucky with most of my gen and rep movements in terms of accuracy and reliability, but this gives more confidence to proceed with the purchase.

GingerApple

On this note, are there any amplitude experts out there? My only (limited) knowledge of timegrapher info comes from here: https://rwg.cc/topic/143934-how-to-read-timegrapher-results/ It suggests 250 is the low end of the scale in terms of amplitude acceptability. I have a watch from a TD in QC yesterday which only hit 243 so I queried it.  He replied saying that anything between 220-330 is good and not to worry. I do trust him, he's never given me anything other than a perfect watch so far - but why the discrepancy in opinions? Does anyone who really understands amplitude readings have a view on the different opinions?

drifterr
On this note, are there any amplitude experts out there? My only (limited) knowledge of timegrapher info comes from here: https://rwg.cc/topic/143934-how-to-read-timegrapher-results/ It suggests 250 is the low end of the scale in terms of amplitude acceptability. I have a watch from a TD in QC yesterday which only hit 243 so I queried it.  He replied saying that anything between 220-330 is good and not to worry. I do trust him, he's never given me anything other than a perfect watch so far - but why the discrepancy in opinions? Does anyone who really understands amplitude readings have a view on the different opinions?
Which TD do you use ginger ?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

trailboss99
2 hours ago, GingerBubba said:

On this note, are there any amplitude experts out there?

Well for starters a correct amplitude reading depends on having the right lift angle selected (lift angle is a setting not a reading). In the case of the 9015 the correct angle is actually 51 deg not 52. 

Also amplitude will change depending on how much the watch is wound, the tighter the mainspring the more amplitude you will get. There is also an increase in amplitude as the watch wears in. TBH the only thing a TD timegraph pic shows you with any real accuracy is that the correct beat rate movement is fitted.  

GingerApple
1 hour ago, drifterr said:

Which TD do you use ginger ?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I use a few; still not settled on my all time all time favourite. But this one is from Steve at Theonewatches. This is about my fifth watch from him; all perfect, faultless experiences from start to finish. The only, teeny thing I don't like about him is that I can't use PayPal, so it involves a modicum of physical effort in going to the local WU. And I'm VERY lazy.

14 minutes ago, trailboss99 said:

Well for starters a correct amplitude reading depends on having the right lift angle selected (lift angle is a setting not a reading). In the case of the 9015 the correct angle is actually 51 deg not 52. 

Also amplitude will change depending on how much the watch is wound, the tighter the mainspring the more amplitude you will get. There is also an increase in amplitude as the watch wears in. TBH the only thing a TD timegraph pic shows you with any real accuracy is that the correct beat rate movement is fitted.  

Ahhh, thanks TB, very helpful! Presumably TDs don't fully wind the watches when checking them - if you're winding hundreds of watches a week, your probably just going to give them a quick swirl and be done with it. So good to know!

Rod
5 hours ago, trailboss99 said:

That's a great piece of information, thanks! Do you happen to know how selecting a higher lift angle will affect the amplitude result? Will it appear lower or higher? It's more out of curiosity than anything, as I have already accepted the watch

Edited by Rod
Grammar

Robert11
That's a great piece of information, thanks! Do you happen to know how selecting a higher lift angle will affect the amplitude result? Will it appear lower or higher? It's more out of curiosity than anything, as I have already accepted the watch

Tbh, lift angle of 51 instead of 52 will not affect the amplitude reading to any significant amount.

Sent from my satellite phone.