staplestable

IWC Mark XVIII MK Factory or V6F

staplestable

As the title indicates, which one should I get? I know the Mark XVI MKF is praised as being near super rep status, but what about the Mark XVIII? 

I know certain versions are 41mn instead of 40mn so I would be avoiding those. 

My TD Josh has indicated that the V6F version is better than the MKF version, but I think that's because he does not have it in stock. 

However, check out these two versions:

https://chazingtime.co/product/mark-xviii-iw327001-ss-mk-maker-best-edition-black-dial-black-leather-strap-a2892/

https://chazingtime.co/product/mark-xviii-iw327001-v6f-best-edition-black-dial-black-leather-strap-a2892/

The V6 version is more expensive, has the correct dimensions 40mn x 11mn vs. the MKF version with 40x10 and engraved movements. 

Please help a newbie out!

Edited by staplestable

staplestable

Can anyone spot any obvious flaws from these pictures? Looks a bit silver/gray to me, but could just be lighting. 

a24106b6-b7d2-4c94-9ec6-f1019018cc56.jpg

94f2124d-8113-40a1-82ee-0d190df98dd1.jpg

f9DFQ73.jpg

Raziel

It seems that the biggest tell on the MKF is the poorly made crown, the logo on the crown is very shallow compared to the original. And then there is the height.

ryaku

I was also very interested in a white dial XVIII but I gave up for the following reasons:

- V6F version is more accurate with regards to the crown shape and external bezel. Unfortunately it is oversized (41mm diameter) regardless of dealers' specs. Dial is inaccurate too due to the wrong case size (date window is placed wrongly)
- MKF version has a terrible crown and very inaccurate external bezel

Hope it helps

Raziel
I was also very interested in a white dial XVIII but I gave up for the following reasons:
- V6F version is more accurate with regards to the crown shape and external bezel. Unfortunately it is oversized (41mm diameter) regardless of dealers' specs. Dial is inaccurate too due to the wrong case size (date window is placed wrongly)
- MKF version has a terrible crown and very inaccurate external bezel
Hope it helps

If that's so, then neither are super reps.

the_datta

Neither are super reps but the mkf is your best bet

whaiyun

I'm surprised there isn't a super rep of this watch. It's a pretty simple watch design

Raziel
I'm surprised there isn't a super rep of this watch. It's a pretty simple watch design
Agree, simple design AND highly popular. Should be straightforward.

ryaku
On 1/23/2018 at 22:08, Raziel said:
On 1/23/2018 at 19:14, whaiyun said:

Agree, simple design AND highly popular. Should be straightforward.

Highly popular? IWC? 40mm watch?

Nah, I don't think so.

I would love an accurate version of the XVIII, on ss bracelet but it's not gonna happen.
40mm watches are not highly demanded nowadays.

whaiyun
20 minutes ago, ryaku said:

Nah, I don't think so.

I would love an accurate version of the XVIII, on ss bracelet but it's not gonna happen.

I beg to differ, 38-42 is the popular spot for most watches nowadays. Field/pilot  and also Divers. What do you think is the popular size?

ryaku
1 hour ago, whaiyun said:

I beg to differ, 38-42 is the popular spot for most watches nowadays. Field/pilot  and also Divers. What do you think is the popular size?

Looking at new releases I would say 42-45 mm

42mm is my upper limit, imagine how disappointed I am 

whaiyun
Looking at new releases I would say 42-45 mm
42mm is my upper limit, imagine how disappointed I am 

Same with me. 42mm is my upper limit. Except a 44mm PAM. I got a Speedy Pro, a Black Bay, a Seiko SARB, and a DJ 1601. My only large watch is the PAM000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raziel
Nah, I don't think so.

The IWC Mark XVIII is a seller.

And if you think 40mm isn't popular, I think you forget one of the most iconic and popular watches of all time. Past, present and probably future.

ryaku

Rolex is not the same league, check the number of posts yourself in the Rolex section.

If you have unquestionable data about your theory and sales data, share them with the factories, I am fairly sure they would be very happy to schedule new releases based on solid market intelligence.

If the Mark serie was a seller we would see new releases every 3-4 months, a SS bracelet and more straps too. Truth is, most people consider it a insignificant watch and they like way better the 43 mm chrono 3777.

Raziel

Your response are quite condescending and arrogant, so I really don't want to use too much energy in responding to that.

I'm not comparing Rolex and IWC, I'm just saying that 40mm is a highly popular size.

And though I don't have sales numbers from IWC, I can at least see that the genuine Mark models are selling like warm bread in the AD's close to me. Maybe people willing to buy fakes are looking for something different. A more recognizable model maybe?

Genius

Just get the MKF

Got mine today and it's great

d75c5bc2-a5ad-44e4-8985-6c4426e954d5.jpg

Fuck whether there are "tells" its a great watch really well made and looks awesome