FL13

MM300 Showdown: SBDX001 vs Sharkey **WARNING** LARGE PHOTOS

FL13

Forgive the large photos and long post.

So you have an itch for a MarineMaster 300 but don't know whether the $2600 MSRP for the SBDX001 is worth it, or whether you could get an EXACT copy for $260 from Sharkey...

Well let's start by meeting our challengers.

b6WVd8r.jpg

The initial impression is that they are very similar and one might look at this photo and say "Same watch, different name".

They have the same Vibe, the same shape, the same dial layout, the same bracelet pattern. It would be easy to dismiss the cost difference and happily save the $2240 off the MSRP, but given the age of the MM300 (SBDX001), there are ample sources of second hand versions ranging from $1200-$1800 depending on the kit, which means the REAL cost difference is somewhere around $1200.

Ok, Why spend the $1200? You get a better watch. Not just mechanically with the Seiko's 8L35 movement, but also the finish and the fact that the un-seen portions of the watch (Seals, gaskets, etc) are ISO rated for 300M verses the Sharkey's 300M label.

Let's move on to some portions of the watch itself.

1. Springbars.

Sharkey on the Left, Seiko on the right. Note that my Seiko is second hand and old, and the Sharkey is brand new.

jcl2p8h.jpg

eotqJkV.jpg

q1n7KsI.jpg

The Sharkey springbar is slightly longer. You can see a difference in the machining on the part, so it's easy to say that the Sharkey doesn't use Seiko bars in their watch.

2. Bracelets.

The SBDX001 gets alot of hate on the size of the clasp and the "Gaps" between the links.

I sized both bracelets to fit my own small, 6.5" wrists. You can see from the first photo that the lengths are the same. What is interesting is the differences in lengths when the clasp is open.

s1fFfgP.jpg

In the following picture you can see the clasp on the Seiko opens up wider, allowing a larger hand to fit through comfortably.

Oa3bIzZ.jpg

The Seiko's ratcheting dive extension further extends the difference.

IUPpFqn.jpg

Continued....

Edited by FL13

FL13

The bracelets have a similar appearance on the surface of the links, but the links have entirely different construction.

Seiko on top, Sharkey on the bottom.

8HemdQg.jpg

Endlinks. Machined vs Cast (Seiko on the left)

rUfP880.jpg

dC0eMpG.jpg

The external finishing on both is similar, with the sharkey's One-piece link showing a much flatter topography.

Sharkey:

7mhMfYH.jpg

Seiko:

SemQgHh.jpg

Both of the watch bracelets fit the original Seiko SBDX001

9L9BGlt.jpg

vRG721F.jpg

FAVH3MM.jpg

Continued....

Edited by FL13

FL13

3. The Watch Head.

7Tn2z4W.jpg

uWcBB2M.jpg

When i look at photos of watches, together, one watch always seems more centered, causing a fish-eye effect on the outer edges of the other. So to combat that, here are two shots with the watches swapped in position:

2PPm8Ap.jpg

93JKogy.jpg

From here out, expect two shots of almost Identical orientation comparing the two watches with the SHARKEY going first then the SEIKO following it. As you scroll down past these photos, pay close attention to the finishing edges between Brushed and Polished surfaces.

PBNm4h1.jpg

xhmyExr.jpg

9Ekf8Dn.jpg

fXUOHPX.jpg

kcgtXUf.jpg

sZWLR30.jpg

Continued....

Edited by FL13

FL13

sxXzIfR.jpg

3S9Id4o.jpg

CjuDuon.jpg

v2R6aFp.jpg

PGaiPri.jpg

sgCVV7a.jpg

DF73H7x.jpg

M5V6rke.jpg

dY8mmMq.jpg

B4ogTns.jpg

Continued....

Edited by FL13

FL13

aWhhzTS.jpg

QYCF8Xj.jpg

1JWm7ym.jpg

kGaKwgA.jpg

LdwxKSB.jpg

ApVIyjA.jpg

ErLq653.jpg

fWBDhuL.jpg

cVmq3r1.jpg

1Nn4bRw.jpg

The next photo is a bit deceiving. In person the Seiko lume glows 3x brighter than the Sharkey when given a full sunlight charge... It's hard to capture as the Seiko's washes out in the overexposed shots.

7QA0xZd.jpg

Ok, so now that you've scrolled through a TON of photos, what do you think?

Did you see the case finishing?

Did you see the dial text?

Did you see the date wheel?

Did you see the Bracelet?

Did you see the Bezel?

Did you see the Lume?

Or did you only see the $$$$?

cvp3

Sorry, only saw the dollars. We are on a rep forum. Seriously though, seiko is very affordable and builds a great watch......just not spending $1,600 on a seiko.

roiex

These are fantastic photos

its clear that the seiko is considerably higher quality. The bezel insert is the most obvious difference to me, particularly the pearl. The seiko is perfect and the sharkey is kinda sloppy. There were a few areas, like the dial printing, where the quality gap was less noticeable, but overall it isn't even close. 

tripdog123

I've frequently looked at these Sharkeys and wondered what the quality is like. There are obviously differences between the 2 - but they aren't huge - it all comes down to details as usual. I was surprised to see the Sharkey hands are brushed and bevelled too - attention to detail I wasn't expecting.

The biggest let down on the Sharkey is the bezel insert and pearl - if these could be corrected I think you'd have a superb value for money for watch.  But even as it is, for $260, it's still great value.

Thanks for taking the time to do the review.

Raddave

Nice , i like it !

So im wondering what movement is in the Sharkey ...

And are those press on case backs ?

I would have thought at least the Seiko would have a screw on caseback , but its not round ...

WatchDog21

Well done,  Great side by side pictures for the comparison!  When I first came across the Sharkey "Tuna" (SBDX015) about a year ago I picked one up. I am quite happy with it.  I had been on the pre order list for the Sharkey SBDX001 but it kept getting delayed and in reality I just wanted the Seiko so I cancelled that order and bought the SBDX017.  IMO the Sharkeys are well built watches especially for the money!  There are a few of us here that have them and would most likely say the same about the quality.   Side by side the movement sweep is pretty darn close but the Seiko still wins.

Thanks for the great comparison!

Here is the video I did on the movement sweep.

cvp3

Here's mine. 2 SBX001's, 1 black PVD tuna, 1 S/S tuna, 1 S/S turtle and a black PVD turtle inbound.

image.jpg

FL13
4 hours ago, Raddave said:

Nice , i like it !

So im wondering what movement is in the Sharkey ...

And are those press on case backs ?

I would have thought at least the Seiko would have a screw on caseback , but its not round ...

They don't have casebacks. Everything goes through the front.

3 hours ago, cvp3 said:

Here's mine. 2 SBX001's, 1 black PVD tuna, 1 S/S tuna, 1 S/S turtle and a black PVD turtle inbound.

image.jpg

Two SBDX001??? LOL Did you get one ST2130 and one "ETA" 2824?

k4jun

Wow, these are the killer photos and a ton of a review. Many thanks for taking the time for it.

Was there also a Miyota9015 version of the Sharkey?
While the difference in the xtal (more blueish colour), pearl and the bezel insert are quite easy to tell, I am really impressed with the finishing of the hands and the case.
I wish Seiko would learn from this watch and would update the MM300 insert for the ceramic.

Raddave
59 minutes ago, FL13 said:

oh wow , id have never thunk that .....

Glaude

Great comparison ! Thank you for taking the time to do it !

Did you see the case finishing? I prefer the Sharkey

Did you see the dial text? I prefer the Sharkey but only because of the logo :) 

Did you see the date wheel? I find the Seiko to be cleaner

Did you see the Bracelet? Machining is not very clean compared to the cast one (sure this is cast ? I see machining marks)

Did you see the Bezel? Point goes to Seiko

Did you see the Lume? Seiko since you've said it's a lot brighter and I prefer the shade of it, overall cleanness.

I didn't see the money, because I don't like both of them in general :D 

cvp3
2 hours ago, FL13 said:

Two SBDX001??? LOL Did you get one ST2130 and one "ETA" 2824?

Yup.

tabuktime

I think they are extremely similar, but the font and depth of numbers on the bezel of the Sharkey do it for me (even though the pearl is shit!).

KarmaToBurn

I've been following your thread on F74 and it's interesting that the split for the Seiko/Sharkey seems to be about the same on both forums. If anybody here is thinking of picking up the Sharkey the ST2130 version is currently $210 on rubber and $220 on bracelet  on Ebay (just search for Sharkey watch).  Also, be aware that there is a Merkur and Uroborus version out there that has a different bezel insert and an etched crown/caseback. The Merkur is available through Ebay (curently sold out and having shipping delays) and Taobao and uses a Miyota 9015. The Uroborus is currently only listed on Taobao. 

FL13
3 hours ago, KarmaToBurn said:

I've been following your thread on F74 and it's interesting that the split for the Seiko/Sharkey seems to be about the same on both forums. If anybody here is thinking of picking up the Sharkey the ST2130 version is currently $210 on rubber and $220 on bracelet  on Ebay (just search for Sharkey watch).  Also, be aware that there is a Merkur and Uroborus version out there that has a different bezel insert and an etched crown/caseback. The Merkur is available through Ebay (curently sold out and having shipping delays) and Taobao and uses a Miyota 9015. The Uroborus is currently only listed on Taobao. 

Karma,

Let me know if you ever want to sell it. I'd love to do a comparison with the Merkur/Uroborus.