SpeedThrash

Not sure where to post but, which movements should I look out for? The watches I like don't come with the recommended movement

SpeedThrash

- Custom Designed Slim Asian automatic chronograph movement at 28800 vph by ZF Maker (Same thickness as original IWC 79350 Calibre Movement)
- Asian 6498 manual winding movement decorate to IWC Cal.98245 movement
- New IWC 52850 Movement Clone. Base Movement: Asian 23J automatic movement; Decoration: Platinum plated movement plate and rotor which are made according to the genuine movement
- New A. Lange & Sohne 88275 Movement Clone. Base Movement: Asian 2824 automatic movement at 28800vph; Decoration: Platinum plated movement plate and rotor which are made according to the genuine movement, the best looking A. Lange & Sohne 88275 Movement Clone at the moment.
- Base Movement: Asian 23J automatic movement .Decoration: Platinum plated movement plate and rotor which are made according to the genuine movement, 
- Base Movement: Asian 23J automatic movement; Decoration: Platinum plated movement plate and rotor which are made according to the genuine movement, the best looking Jaeger-LeCoultre Calibre 939 movement

These are the movements on the watches I like, are they hard to maintain? expensive to replace? what happens if one stops working?

Jibuti

hello zerr and welcome... I think rite adress 4 answer is greg or even better PBR....

beaten by secs, fat.... but my answer is correct, too.

SpeedThrash

Yes I read that post, but what I am asking is all of the movements I've listed have been "beautified" or whatever you call to look like the original. How much does this affect their quality/servicability?

Left Coast Guy
10 minutes ago, SpeedThrash said:

Yes I read that post, but what I am asking is all of the movements I've listed have been "beautified" or whatever you call to look like the original. How much does this affect their quality/servicability?

That was a shit way of asking that question then.......

Anyway, the answer is: it depends.  Generally, deco plates don't really impact reliability, but they can make a mov't harder to service depending on the decorations and the base mov't. I wouldn't worry about any 28xx or 64xx base movement.  

I think the only thing to point out is that the first one, the IWC, isn't just decoration -- that is a 7750 mov't that's been modified to remove some functions to make it thinner. That's more than just a simple decorative plate, that's a structural change to the mov't. When that happens, you'll find many watchsmiths won't work on the mov't; its a non-standard mov't and they may not have any idea on how it was made, so they don't want to fuck it up. 

The one difficult thing about this hobby is that there is no shortcut for self-education -- folks on the forum will help, but to have a good run you need to spend the time and learn. 

tripdog123
1 hour ago, SpeedThrash said:

- Custom Designed Slim Asian automatic chronograph movement at 28800 vph by ZF Maker (Same thickness as original IWC 79350 Calibre Movement)
- New IWC 52850 Movement Clone. Base Movement: Asian 23J automatic movement; Decoration: Platinum plated movement plate and rotor which are made according to the genuine movement
- New A. Lange & Sohne 88275 Movement Clone. Base Movement: Asian 2824 automatic movement at 28800vph; Decoration: Platinum plated movement plate and rotor which are made according to the genuine movement, the best looking A. Lange & Sohne 88275 Movement Clone at the moment.
- Base Movement: Asian 23J automatic movement .Decoration: Platinum plated movement plate and rotor which are made according to the genuine movement, 
- Base Movement: Asian 23J automatic movement; Decoration: Platinum plated movement plate and rotor which are made according to the genuine movement, the best looking Jaeger-LeCoultre Calibre 939 movement

These are the movements on the watches I like, are they hard to maintain? expensive to replace? what happens if one stops working?

Are they hard to maintain? Nope.

Expensive to replace? Impossible is a better word.

What happens if one stops working? You throw it out and buy a new one.

These aren't 'real' watches  - they are toys - expensive toys. When they stop working, it's often  economically more sensible to just buy a new one.

Plus, they aren't even waterproof. But then, no watch is.

Edited by tripdog123

SpeedThrash

And in your experience how long do these last? Also really you throw it out? $400 watch isn't cheaper to fix than throw out? That seems quite wasteful.

Left Coast Guy
15 minutes ago, SpeedThrash said:

And in your experience how long do these last? Also really you throw it out? $400 watch isn't cheaper to fix than throw out? That seems quite wasteful.

Ugh....dude you need to READ!!! These questions are addressed in the Pinned threads and the New Member section. 

I've got reps that are 5 years old and still running perfectly. The vast majority of watches I've bought have been without issue of any sort. BUT, I read and learned what watches/movements/configurations have potential for issue and avoided them. Again, there is no shortcut to gain that knowledge....you need to read and research. 

If you can't afford to toss a $400 watch in the trash because its a lost cause, then this hobby isn't for you. Its a incredible bargain to get something indiscernible from a $10K watch for $400, but the catch is that you get a turd every now and again, and maybe have to take some risk on shipping and customs.  

SpeedThrash

Yea I apologize I will read some more. Is there a place I can ask about specific watches I am interested in purchasing and what users think about how long they will last?

tripdog123
13 minutes ago, SpeedThrash said:

They last as long as they do - they can last several years, but very occasionally they'll only last several weeks or months.

Some can be fixed, some  of them can't be fixed - if there are no replacement/spare parts - the watch may be fixable, but it may not look exactly the same once repaired.

As I said, these are toys, do not imagine you are getting an exact copy of a $10k or $25k watch for $400 - that would be utterly ridiculous. Nobody, not even the very rich would buy the gens.

You are getting a fairly accurate copy of the watch, with all the problems associated with an inexistant QC process.

1 minute ago, SpeedThrash said:

Is there a place I can ask about specific watches I am interested in purchasing and what users think about how long they will last?

No.

But you could read lots, and then form your own opinion.

RepGuy
7 minutes ago, SpeedThrash said:

Yea I apologize I will read some more. Is there a place I can ask about specific watches I am interested in purchasing and what users think about how long they will last?

Please do yourself a favor and begin reading the New Member Posts everyone keeps telling you about. It may take a few days to go though all of the information, but you'll have a much better understanding of what to look for.

BadApple

Please read the "How Long Will It Last?" section.

Jibuti

fuck.... I never did learn to read.......

Left Coast Guy
21 minutes ago, SpeedThrash said:

Dude, you're still not getting it -- there is no forum that will spoonfeed you info and be your personal shopper.  In fact, the more you keep asking about stuff you should be able to find on your own, the more the forum members will turn against you.  Its taken years to build this forum and accumulate this info, the VIP's pay a membership fee to keep this board running and provide you access to the info FOR FREE......and instead of being thankful and using the resource, you want someone else to do the work for you. Can you see how that's a problem? 

If you have questions about specific models, your best bet is to use the search bar or read the brand sections with review on the models. DON'T POST QUESTIONS,  JUST READ, READ, READ!  If after you read, you still have  questions you can ask them, but if you ask dumb questions the forum will flame you... 

Jibuti

this chap might help OP

Jwod75h.gif

SpeedThrash

Yes I understand I am reading the posts. When I say last, I don't mean compared to the original. But for example, if I buy a $250 watch from amazon, it's going to last 5 years easy with no problems. So why would these $400 watches fail so fast. That's info I can't seem to find on the forum.

mr.tourette
26 minutes ago, SpeedThrash said:

Yes I understand I am reading the posts. When I say last, I don't mean compared to the original. But for example, if I buy a $250 watch from amazon, it's going to last 5 years easy with no problems. So why would these $400 watches fail so fast. That's info I can't seem to find on the forum.

Ffs..its been answered in this thread...non existent quality control.

Tread carefully dude before this descends into goatfest...ah fuggit

Goats-_In-_Weird-_Places-_Goat-on-a-_Bik

SpeedThrash

I just read every single new member link that was recommended, as well as trying to read dozens of reviews on watches. However most of the reviews are from 5+ years ago with dead pics. Am I allowed to ask about specific models to see if any other members have purchased them? Or am I allowed to ask the dealers for which model they recommend?

Wriggles
40 minutes ago, SpeedThrash said:

if I buy a $250 watch from amazon, it's going to last 5 years easy with no problems. 

This is a belief system that is likely to be wholly incompatible with this hobby.  I think you should find something else to take an interest in

4 minutes ago, SpeedThrash said:

I just read every single new member link that was recommended, as well as trying to read dozens of reviews on watches. However most of the reviews are from 5+ years ago with dead pics. Am I allowed to ask about specific models to see if any other members have purchased them? Or am I allowed to ask the dealers for which model they recommend?

There is reading, and then there is comprehension, they aren't mutually exclusive yet they don't always go hand in hand...

bloon

In general, look for the 28xx or 6497 clones because they're workhorses and more reliable. 7750 is reliable provided that gears have not been played around with, such as changing the dial formats (less Daytonas or IWC Portugese and more Breitling Datora Montbrillant). For accurate Gen like Rolex movements, look for the Yuki 3135 or models produced by JF because they use that movement. There are clone Asian 3135s which take a 28xx base or Miyota 9015 and modify it to appear like gen but these are generally less stable than the original movements. Stick to what's reliable and your watch generally lasts and can be fixed easily. They may be less gen like but unless you're next to an AD (which you shouldn't be trumping a watch) or another member, you won't have that problem. 

SpeedThrash
6 minutes ago, bloon said:

In general, look for the 28xx or 6497 clones because they're workhorses and more reliable. 7750 is reliable provided that gears have not been played around with, such as changing the dial formats (less Daytonas or IWC Portugese and more Breitling Datora Montbrillant). For accurate Gen like Rolex movements, look for the Yuki 3135 or models produced by JF because they use that movement. There are clone Asian 3135s which take a 28xx base or Miyota 9015 and modify it to appear like gen but these are generally less stable than the original movements. Stick to what's reliable and your watch generally lasts and can be fixed easily. They may be less gen like but unless you're next to an AD (which you shouldn't be trumping a watch) or another member, you won't have that problem. 

Thanks that's what I wanted to hear, I am really interested in either a  A. Lange & Sohne, Jeager Le-Coultre or IWC watch.

I'm having a tough time finding reviews for those but I'll keep looking.

BadApple

Indeed - keep looking - stop asking.

Wriggles

There's a very simple answer here. Irrespective of movement, some are shit, some are not. You pays your money you take your chances.

All of which could be gleaned with some time spent actually reading, rather than being a millennial and joining up and expecting a lightning fast solution in a couple of hours without bothering to do any work

bloon
1 hour ago, Wriggles said:

There's a very simple answer here. Irrespective of movement, some are shit, some are not. You pays your money you take your chances.

All of which could be gleaned with some time spent actually reading, rather than being a millennial and joining up and expecting a lightning fast solution in a couple of hours without bothering to do any work

I agree with you @Wriggles. Sometimes OPs have to read more - we even have a not worth buying in gen thread! But the movement reliability and forums take a while to catch on! I spent hours learning what I did. Only because the community were so underastanding and willing to share their experiences. 

This being said, I blame the community for kickstarting me rep buying from TDs! I was so scared of buying from random sites, if RWG never existed, prolly never get into the hobbY!

GenTLe
5 hours ago, SpeedThrash said:

These are all fine.
Not sure about the last 2: I've 2 movements like those, a Nomos Ahoi and a JD Grande Seconde decentree, and both have autowinding problems, by design. They use the so called "magic levers" but in a way much worse implemented than on the Seiko watches.