simonpollard

Cartier Tank Solo REF: WSTA0028 Crown Replacement

simonpollard

Hi guys,

My first topic here at RWG, been looking around on the forum without any luck. I´m about to get my first rep, a Cartier Tank Solo (WSTA0028). The blue sapphire  crown looked a bit pale and cheap on the QC, I looked around for a gen crown to replace it and found out that they aren´t that expensive.  Around 50$. The problem is that the ones I find vary in size, they come in 11,65 mm, 10,3 mm, 12,85 mm etc. I don´t know which one to purchase, I can´t see anything different between them in the product specs (they are all on ebay which might explain that). Do you know how I can look this up and find out which part to purchase? 

Thanks for your help!

/Simon

simonpollard

Ping!

Another thought,  the reason for changing the crown is because the rep crown is a bit "pointy" compared to the gen. Is it possible to replace the "head" (the visible part) without replacing the stem? 

Anyone?

Rx4Time

I don't think you will easily find this.  I've never seen one for sale.  Watch eBay and chrono24. 

tonyh7

Unless you are experienced in tinkering my advice would be to leave it alone. It's a rep, and no one will say oooh nice watch shame about the crown. If you buy a gen crown and stem, assuming it fits the rep movement at all, you will probably have to cut the stem to fit the rep movement. If you haven't done this before you may well bugger the watch up. 

Glaude
4 hours ago, teddy875 said:

I don't think you will easily find this.  I've never seen one for sale.  Watch eBay and chrono24. 

I've seen them everywhere and not for too much money as OP says but again as OP says it's a sizing question and the measurement needed isn't always specified.
Best luck for OP is to wait until you get your rep and take the measurement yourself to see what would fit in it.

simonpollard
7 hours ago, tonyh7 said:

Unless you are experienced in tinkering my advice would be to leave it alone. It's a rep, and no one will say oooh nice watch shame about the crown. If you buy a gen crown and stem, assuming it fits the rep movement at all, you will probably have to cut the stem to fit the rep movement. If you haven't done this before you may well bugger the watch up. 

Tinkering by myself is not an option, you’re probably right about the fitting problem. The movement is different in the rep and I can’t find any measurements anywhere online. 

Zooha

Have you replaced it now actually? @simonpollard I was thinking of doing the same thing when I'm gonna buy the Tank Solo. Does the rest of the watch looks close to gen in your opinion?

simonpollard
On 2018-04-22 at 08:16, Zooha said:

Have you replaced it now actually? @simonpollard I was thinking of doing the same thing when I'm gonna buy the Tank Solo. Does the rest of the watch looks close to gen in your opinion?

No, it´s not really a huge tell unless you have them side by side. I couldn´t be bothered. The rest of the watch looks amazing, the strap could have been of better quality but it´s fine

duddlyboy
On 17/01/2018 at 10:11, simonpollard said:

Hi guys,

My first topic here at RWG, been looking around on the forum without any luck. I´m about to get my first rep, a Cartier Tank Solo (WSTA0028). The blue sapphire  crown looked a bit pale and cheap on the QC, I looked around for a gen crown to replace it and found out that they aren´t that expensive.  Around 50$. The problem is that the ones I find vary in size, they come in 11,65 mm, 10,3 mm, 12,85 mm etc. I don´t know which one to purchase, I can´t see anything different between them in the product specs (they are all on ebay which might explain that). Do you know how I can look this up and find out which part to purchase? 

Thanks for your help!

/Simon

Just a word of advice , wouldn't it be an idea to wait and get the watch ?? Those pictures will be magnified and under strong light . I purchased the same watch last year , and the colour of the blue 'SAPPHIRE' crown (and shape i didn't get pointy  'Louis ' shape , but the correct Solo rounded shape) was spot on to the genuine watch . 

The watch you have purchased is also tiny in real life (large size) , and if it is like the one i got , looks far better in person than the QC pics.

The reason why they are so cheap ( replacement crowns) is that the 'SAPPHIRE' cabachon on the genuine watch isn't actually a genuine sapphire , but a synthetic hard plastic . All Tank Solo's have a synthetic sapphire cabachon , even the ones in precious metal . You have to buy the more expensive Cartier Louis Tank to get a 'real' sapphire cabachon crown .

You are better off replacing the OK but poor strap , for something gorgeous which really sets the watch off . That is the biggest tell on the watch .

***** EDIT : Sorry  SIMON i didn't see this was posted originally in January , thought it was a new thread ****

Edited by duddlyboy

ANTIOM85

Very useful info ! Thanks 

Glaude
12 hours ago, duddlyboy said:

Just a word of advice , wouldn't it be an idea to wait and get the watch ?? Those pictures will be magnified and under strong light . I purchased the same watch last year , and the colour of the blue 'SAPPHIRE' crown (and shape i didn't get pointy  'Louis ' shape , but the correct Solo rounded shape) was spot on to the genuine watch . 

The watch you have purchased is also tiny in real life (large size) , and if it is like the one i got , looks far better in person than the QC pics.

The reason why they are so cheap ( replacement crowns) is that the 'SAPPHIRE' cabachon on the genuine watch isn't actually a genuine sapphire , but a synthetic hard plastic . All Tank Solo's have a synthetic sapphire cabachon , even the ones in precious metal . You have to buy the more expensive Cartier Louis Tank to get a 'real' sapphire cabachon crown .

You are better off replacing the OK but poor strap , for something gorgeous which really sets the watch off . That is the biggest tell on the watch .

***** EDIT : Sorry  SIMON i didn't see this was posted originally in January , thought it was a new thread ****

Still a useful and informative comment for this thread and for future readers ! Thanks for it !

simonpollard
22 hours ago, duddlyboy said:

No worries, I agree. Since the clasp function is a bit rare (folding), what strap would you recommend? I´m looking for a replacement but it needs to be quite thin to fold properly...

duddlyboy
21 hours ago, simonpollard said:

No worries, I agree. Since the clasp function is a bit rare (folding), what strap would you recommend? I´m looking for a replacement but it needs to be quite thin to fold properly...

I purchased the same watch , but not the same models . The first was a ' Rose Gold Tank Solo ' W5200025' rep , this comes with a regular tang watch buckle, the same as genuine watch . So changing out the strap was easy , I actually swapped it for a genuine Cartier  'croc' strap given to me by a friend .Though the rep strap it came with looked great on the  recipients wrist , the watch wasn't for me too small .

Edited by duddlyboy

duddlyboy
2 hours ago, duddlyboy said:

I purchased the same watch , but not the same models . The first was a ' Rose Gold Tank Solo ' W5200025' rep , this comes with a regular tang watch buckle . So changing out the strap was easy , I actually swapped it for a genuine Cartier  'croc' strap given to me by a friend .Though the rep strap it came with looked great on the  recipients wrist , the watch wasn't for me too small .

The second watch again a gift,  was a special edition pink dialled ' SS Tank Solo S ' W5200000' rep . The strap is pink , and does come on a deployment( Folding ) strap . The strap on the rep looked great on the wrist , but was a tell off,  the genuine is alligator . I did have trouble pulling the trigger on a new strap , lots of browsing,  eventually I tracked a replacement alligator down at a 'watch and watch parts auction ' in Birmingham UK , near where I live . The replacement was darker colour but looks great on watch .

Edited by duddlyboy

duddlyboy
2 hours ago, duddlyboy said:

The second watch again a gift,  was a special edition pink dialled ' SS Tank Solo S ' W5200000' rep . The strap is pink , and does come on a deployment( Folding ) strap . The strap on the rep looked great on the wrist , but was a tell off,  the genuine is alligator . I did have trouble pulling the trigger on a new strap , lots of browsing,  eventually I tracked a replacement down at a 'watch and watch parts auction ' in Birmingham UK , near where I live . 

I guess you have 3 options contact the strap dealers on this and other rep sites see if you can get a custom one made ....Pull the trigger on a strap 'buy and try'  , I nearly purchased one on EBay , and a Di Modell strap from a UK strap dealer which were meant to fit ....Or just buy a gorgeous regular tang buckle strap and not use the deployment clasp . You maybe able to source a 'Cartier' (rep/real ) buckle separately if needed .

Any way great reps which fly under the radar . My wrists too big for either , however now ZF have released an XL automatic date rep WSTA0029 I am purchasing this watch for myself . I am V excited ,comes on a deployment .

*****SORRY for multiple replies , when I posted as one item , wouldn't happen ??? *****

Edited by duddlyboy

ANTIOM85

I'm in the same position but with the large model. simonpollard you should check Ziczac leather strap. I'm pretty sure he can make custom alligator strap  fit for cartier tank watch. 

That's what I'm about to do when I will received it