Sign in to follow this  
thorn697

One Year Progress

thorn697

It dawned on me today that it has been about 1 year since I made my first strap. I thought it would be fun to shoot some photos showing just how much progress I've made over the year.  Over the year, it has grown from a fun way to spice up my watches to a funding source for my watch problem. It's allowed me to chat with watch collectors of all types about their collections while moving through a creative process. I've been able to visit leather suppliers, shipped goods to 15+ countries, and made thoughtful gifts for all of my family members. It's really been a joy the whole way. 

Take this as motivation to try that new hobby you've always been curious about.

GyEPtSs.jpg

First tribal stitch vs most recent 

PH3aNae.jpg

First shark vs most recent.

Maybe the most fun and and time consuming part of this hobby is tracking down quality leathers. It is very difficult to find quality leathers in small quantities, especially exotic leathers. It requires quite a bit of reaching out and rejection to hit pay dirt.

gyhZ8hz.jpg

Edge finishing has improved due to a combination of application skill, paint quality, and tools

8ccZS9t.jpg

Hole punching has improved with technique and muscle memory

Byf6nKm.jpg

Thanks for looking !

Not Quite Dead

They look good and you can see the progress you are making. I am just about to plunge into the next stage of changing dials and hands - taking a perfectly reasonable working watch and  er we shall see.

Glaude
11 hours ago, thorn697 said:

Maybe the most fun and and time consuming part of this hobby is tracking down quality leathers. It is very difficult to find quality leathers in small quantities, especially exotic leathers. It requires quite a bit of reaching out and rejection to hit pay dirt.

+1000

Don't forget the constant pestering about ordering small quantities (without knowing if they'll suit you need) and having to pay shipping fees (where's Amazon when you need it ?)

Great progress ! There's some beautiful strap in your pics !

thorn697
On 1/18/2018 at 22:52, Not Quite Dead said:

They look good and you can see the progress you are making. I am just about to plunge into the next stage of changing dials and hands - taking a perfectly reasonable working watch and  er we shall see.

Good luck! My hands were way too shaky for that type of thing.

On 1/19/2018 at 09:52, Glaude said:

+1000

Don't forget the constant pestering about ordering small quantities (without knowing if they'll suit you need) and having to pay shipping fees (where's Amazon when you need it ?)

Great progress ! There's some beautiful strap in your pics !

I agree. It's frustrating when something $20 costs another $30 to ship.

Exotic leather on Amazon would be awesome . It won't ever happen though. From what I understand, tanning is a tough business.