Mkls

6263 Paul Newman Best Rep

GC
2 hours ago, Mkls said:

I guess no way I can find a new DW nowadays, unless luck pops up from m2m..........

you can’t say I haven’t done all the work... it’s not DW,but it’s the closest thing I could find. These are called Vietnam dials, no specific maker that I know of. Circa $300 

;)

http://rubyswatch.com/

439_AE49_F-3534-4_C60-_B860-_EA877023329

Or cream colored... 

EA9_B7_FB0-37_DC-4642-_B41_B-1395_B48310

ebzen02

Wish they’d rep something good someday..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mkls
5 hours ago, kilowattore said:

They are  quoted 750 USD on the website.

I couldn't see the price, but 750 USD just for the dial, haha totally out of my range

Mkls
On 2018/2/9 at 00:19, GC said:

you can’t say I haven’t done all the work... it’s not DW,but it’s the closest thing I could find. These are called Vietnam dials, no specific maker that I know of. Circa $300 

;)

http://rubyswatch.com/

@GC

Ruby didn't list the price, so its all USD 300 for the dial? From my unprofessional eyes, it looks very similar like those in USD 750

I read somewhere that these dial can fit into the cartel stock from TD but require mod. I read the instruction it only took 5 mins but seems very complicated, I assume these kind of mod cannot be done at home  unless its a professional? If have to be done by professional, how much does it cost?

Edited by Mkls

kilowattore
2 hours ago, Mkls said:

I couldn't see the price, but 750 USD just for the dial, haha totally out of my range

I registered because I was curious about the price. It's a very good looking dial but that price is crazy imho.

Mkls
On 2018/2/9 at 22:06, kilowattore said:

I registered because I was curious about the price. It's a very good looking dial but that price is crazy imho.

Ya super super expensive, and I cannot tell the difference between this and the rubywatch dial by my untrained eyes..

Anyway, to make these nice looking dial fitting into TD's  cartel stock would require mod. I assume these kind of mod cannot be done at home so need a modder, how much does it cost?

Edited by Mkls

Mkls

I have a stupid question. If the cartel subdial print is sharper/whiter then it really looks like a much better looking dial already, how possible to repaint it by ourselves (if so, how?) or still have to give it to a modder? Is it expensive?

20171212123310_42151.jpg

kilowattore
54 minutes ago, Mkls said:

I have a stupid question. If the cartel subdial print is sharper/whiter then it really looks like a much better looking dial already, how possible to repaint it by ourselves (if so, how?) or still have to give it to a modder? Is it expensive?

20171212123310_42151.jpg

Modders essentially modify watches by hand. To do what you ask you would need specific machines and even then you would have to face the issue of removing the subdial print without damaging the paint around. That's no viable option imho.

Swapping a new dial into a watch CAN be done at home, I do so. But you need to know what you're doing, that's why many rely on modders. There is no generic price list, each one has his own.

Mkls
47 minutes ago, kilowattore said:

Modders essentially modify watches by hand. To do what you ask you would need specific machines and even then you would have to face the issue of removing the subdial print without damaging the paint around. That's no viable option imho.

Swapping a new dial into a watch CAN be done at home, I do so. But you need to know what you're doing, that's why many rely on modders. There is no generic price list, each one has his own.

Thanks, originally I thought there would be something like a  white marker and we can simply just paint on top of it. Stupid me 

GC
2 hours ago, Mkls said:

Thanks, originally I thought there would be something like a  white marker and we can simply just paint on top of it. Stupid me 

It’s also good to have actually handled one of these watches. By that I mean, you are only seeing this watch in macro. The details you are pointing out are only visible in the world of macro photography. 

These watches are very small, the dial detail (even on the standard cartel dial) is remarkable. Sure there are flaws, but in truth maybe 0.01 % of people would notice (if that). Remember this hobby is supposed to be fun, never let the smallest details (visible only on a computer screen, enlarged to the umpteenth power) take away from the enjoyment of wearing the darn thing. 

I have tagged you in a few sales threads, maybe I’m taking liberty here but, hoping you catch one just to see it in the flesh ( no mods) and then decide if you want to embark on the infinite road of modifying. 

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you, I’m partial to the Daytona myself and I know from experience what it’s like to want perfection. Two years ago I had a watchsmith mod a cartel base with a DW dial I sourced, had it all put together $250+$200+$300+$75 watch/bezel/dial/crown&tube, and wind up selling it off.

To put that into perspective,  eight years ago I bought the DW 6241 from DW for $300 brand new and made to spec. 

Anyway, bon chance!

p.s. have you noticed any other flaws because I can point out four more off hand that have nothing to do with the dial. Ex: the bezel’s S in the word UNITS is not a flat S. The lugs are too long and incorrectly shaped. The mid case and case back are too thick, by something like 1.5mm. And lastly the chrono pushers and crown look nothing like the genuine. 

See what I mean about an infinite road... long and winding. 

Oh, and I almost forgot... this: http://rolexpassionreport.com/7812/the-secrets-of-understanding-all-the-details-of-the-rolex-paul-newman-oyster-cosmograph/

Haiki0574

Very nice 6263

Mkls
1 hour ago, GC said:

It’s also good to have actually handled one of these watches. By that I mean, you are only seeing this watch in macro. The details you are pointing out are only visible in the world of macro photography. 

These watches are very small, the dial detail (even on the standard cartel dial) is remarkable. Sure there are flaws, but in truth maybe 0.01 % of people would notice (if that). Remember this hobby is supposed to be fun, never let the smallest details (visible only on a computer screen, enlarged to the umpteenth power) take away from the enjoyment of wearing the darn thing. 

I have tagged you in a few sales threads, maybe I’m taking liberty here but, hoping you catch one just to see it in the flesh ( no mods) and then decide if you want to embark on the infinite road of modifying. 

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you, I’m partial to the Daytona myself and I know from experience what it’s like to want perfection. Two years ago I had a watchsmith mod a cartel base with a DW dial I sourced, had it all put together $250+$200+$300+$75 watch/bezel/dial/crown&tube, and wind up selling it off.

To put that into perspective,  eight years ago I bought the DW 6241 from DW for $300 brand new and made to spec. 

Anyway, bon chance!

p.s. have you noticed any other flaws because I can point out four more off hand that have nothing to do with the dial. Ex: the bezel’s S in the word UNITS is not a flat S. The lugs are too long and incorrectly shaped. The mid case and case back are too thick, by something like 1.5mm. And lastly the chrono pushers and crown look nothing like the genuine. 

See what I mean about an infinite road... long and winding. 

Oh, and I almost forgot... this: http://rolexpassionreport.com/7812/the-secrets-of-understanding-all-the-details-of-the-rolex-paul-newman-oyster-cosmograph/

Yes GC, I really appreciate it. Because based on the pictures and videos, the newest cartel subdial font is not sharp/white, maybe in reality the subdial font is actually sharper/whiter/better than I just look at the computer screen  :-)

I know what you mean, there would be a lot of flaws like bezel/case/lugs/etc, but I am more concerned about the dial only as its the first thing I look at a watch.

In fact, my ideal dial would be a customized brand name (or any name, can be even like OLE without RX) instead of having a ROLEX printed on the dial, so I don't have to concern its a gen like or not

Edited by Mkls

Mkls

Thx guys, will pull trigger after CNY when TDs is back

Paulnewmanlookalike

Fascinating read and Im now carefully looking over my PN thinking about next steps towards a better rep. Did you find what you wanted in the end?

FoxWilde

IMG_9221.jpg

this is my base cartel 6263 right now. I'm thinking a new dial/handset from yuki is a good base mod. I don't know if I'll change the crown later or not. But a new dial is a good start to a nice mod.

GC

19D9F6FA-20B4-4E9D-9267-5A7E1D2762F8.jpg

NCRich

And then there is this.

kruarph.jpg?1

gerardnsx
On 24/07/2018 at 20:37, FoxWilde said:

IMG_9221.jpg

this is my base cartel 6263 right now. I'm thinking a new dial/handset from yuki is a good base mod. I don't know if I'll change the crown later or not. But a new dial is a good start to a nice mod.

I have the same dial you have. The first thing I swapped was the bezel. The rounded 'S' in 'UNITS' has to be flat and the '110' has to be smaller in width (hight is ok). These two flaws in the bezel are, besides the other flaws like the smaller subdials and too thick subdial hands and the length of the lume on the hour and minute hands, the most visible give aways. 

Edited by gerardnsx

FoxWilde
2 hours ago, gerardnsx said:

I have the same dial you have. The first thing I swapped was the bezel. The rounded 'S' in 'UNITS' has to be flat and the '110' has to be smaller in width (hight is ok). These two flaws in the bezel are, besides the other flaws like the smaller subdials and too thick subdial hands and the length of the lume on the hour and minute hands, the most visible give aways. 

A new bezel is the next step for me! So many projects, so little time. 

Heres mine after a Vietnam dial and thinned hands refit to gen spec spacing

B3544699-5748-45-A3-9-D50-84239-E253-D12

DKJAWJ
On 20/01/2018 at 10:58, Mkls said:

I know sourcing Vietname dial  modding is the best but I don't think I will go to that expensive option. 

Since all TD replica's dial are imperfect, I really wish there is a way to rub-off the rolex coronet / name and simply change to any other name. Possible to do this?

Look at Gevril Tribeca or Tiger options perhaps ?

porschespeedster

I want a cartel version with a Gevril dial! ;)

$2500 for a homage is a joke...

FoxWilde
3 hours ago, porschespeedster said:

I want a cartel version with a Gevril dial! ;)

$2500 for a homage is a joke...

Alpha Watch makes a homage for some $250 I think