JDM180

Remove crystal without taking off while bezel assembly (SUB)

JDM180

Hi Guys

Date window is off on a BP Sub I bought , rather than removing the whole bezel assembly is it possible to just remove the insert and have enough room to pull the crystal away ?

BadPickle

No

tabuktime

Succinct as usual.

Genius

sometimes you can use a sticky ball on the crystal to twist it slightly without removing

unreformed66
On 2/1/2018 at 05:34, Genius said:

sometimes you can use a sticky ball on the crystal to twist it slightly without removing

And sometimes that approach will also pop the magnifier right off the crystal.  They're not all glued on there as well as they should be.

tripdog123
On 01/02/2018 at 10:10, JDM180 said:

Hi Guys

Date window is off on a BP Sub I bought , rather than removing the whole bezel assembly is it possible to just remove the insert and have enough room to pull the crystal away ?

Some people seem to be confused by 'Date window is off'. I'm one of them - what exactly do you mean ?

JDM180
7 hours ago, tripdog123 said:

Some people seem to be confused by 'Date window is off'. I'm one of them - what exactly do you mean ?

Meant Date mag , as in its a little crooked/out of line with the actual date window on the dial.   

tripdog123
10 hours ago, JDM180 said:

Meant Date mag , as in its a little crooked/out of line with the actual date window on the dial.   

So the cyclops doesn't line up with the crystal ?

You may be able to do it with a sticky ball case back opener. Wipe the ball over with alcohol/de-greaser, do the same with the crystal. Press the ball down firmly on the crystal and turn it in the appropriate direct.

Very very small adjustments are difficult, the crystal is pressure fit so you'll get a certain amount of 'slip' when the crystal finally moves- i.e. it'll go too far in the wrong direction, which means rotating it back in the other direction . . .  Over compensate/rotate in the 'right' direction, and then make micro adjustments in the other direction till it lines up correctly.

JDM180
3 hours ago, tripdog123 said:

So the cyclops doesn't line up with the crystal ?

You may be able to do it with a sticky ball case back opener. Wipe the ball over with alcohol/de-greaser, do the same with the crystal. Press the ball down firmly on the crystal and turn it in the appropriate direct.

Very very small adjustments are difficult, the crystal is pressure fit so you'll get a certain amount of 'slip' when the crystal finally moves- i.e. it'll go too far in the wrong direction, which means rotating it back in the other direction . . .  Over compensate/rotate in the 'right' direction, and then make micro adjustments in the other direction till it lines up correctly.

Makes sense , I gave it a go but it's not looking like it wants to budge. 

If it means taking the bezel assembly off il probably leave it be 

tripdog123
19 minutes ago, JDM180 said:

Makes sense , I gave it a go but it's not looking like it wants to budge. 

If it means taking the bezel assembly off il probably leave it be 

It can require quite a bit of force. . . .  but if it won't move, you'll need to remove the entire bezel assembly to adjust it then - that's the only way.